'18-'19 Free Agency strategy

99ct

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

I'd non tender Beckham. I think he is what he is he. A guy who can't hit much and can't play defense well enough to make up for it. Then I'd sign Freddy Galvis or Jose Iglesias to play SS as a placeholder.  Also non tender Joseph, Wynns is basically the same guy. Play the kids

C : Sisco, Wynns 

1B: Davis

2B: Villar 

3B: Mountcastle 

SS: Iglesias/Galvis

LF: Mancini 

CF: Mullins 

RF: Stewart 

DH: Trumbo 

Replace Davis is Mancini. Davis and Trumbo share the DH duties. Play someone else in LF.

1 hour ago, 24fps said:

Baltimore will be a destinaion of last resort for free agents until the end of next season at the earliest.

Disagree.  Hitters looking to rebuild their value don't care whether the team that they're on wins or loses, as long as they do well.  Camden Yards is still a good place for hitters to hit.  And, if they do good, they can expect to be flipped to a contending team to finish the season, anyway.

8 minutes ago, weams said:

Trade Trumbo. 50 cents on the dollar. 

Trumbo could be an off season trade candidate.  But, I think it's more likely that he goes at the trade deadline next year when he'll only have about $4.3 mil left on his contract.

16 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Trumbo could be an off season trade candidate.  But, I think it's more likely that he goes at the trade deadline next year when he'll only have about $4.3 mil left on his contract.

Ok Make it be that now.

Don't want Beckham or Nunez playing for the Orioles next year.

We have money to offer. Even with reducing the payroll, I'd offer Iglesias more than other teams would to play SS for a few years. If he wants to win, then just go with Beckham. Bring back Flaherty if possible too.

Sisco and Wynns/Joseph (non-tender, MiL deal) can catch.

Davis, Trumbo and Mancini can rotate through 1B/DH. No outfield for any of them.

Flaherty, Iglesias, and Mountcastle would be my infield ideally. Beckham at SS more likely since Iglesias probably won't come here. Valera/Wilkerson can be the Utility guy.

I'd resign Jones. I just like him. Put him in RF to start, Mullins in CF, and Stewart in LF. Hays can come up eventually, too. Yaz/Rickard can backup.

There are a lot of veteran starters out there this winter. Gonzo, Happ, Iwakuma, Harvey, Kazmir, etc. Sign one of them if you can.

It's a bad team, especially the infield. But I'd like to see good defense, and young guys getting chances.

5 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I think Jones would be better in left with Mancini in right. Or maybe Davis would be better in right with Mancini at first.

All these people wanting Stewart to start. I feel pretty sure he's back in Norfolk next year.

Stewart has really slumped badly in July (.175 BA and a marked uptick in strikeouts).     We’ll see if he can right the ship.   He’d certainly need to finish strong to get the big club’s attention.

I noticed even Adam Jones mentioned him in one interview. I want AAA all-star types, not guys struggling against International League pitching. Mullins has been up and down also, but at least he can give us very good defense in center and some speed.

Archived