2019+ Positional Review Series: Catcher

Greg Pappas

47 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Adley Rutschmann was a beast this year, and if he has another big year he'll likely be among the top few picks in the draft.  Naturally, it's a long way off, but he could wind up being a target of ours.

There's nothing we don't need -- other than DH/1B types. But a shortstop or a long-term catcher would be really nice, and those look like real possibilities if we stay behind everyone else (or everyone else but KC).

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ScGO's said:

What ever happened to Alex Murphy?  He looked alright for a couple seasons after he was drafted and he used to catch.  Is he still in the org?

Also a guy I've been intrigued by at the lower levels is Jose Lizarraga.  I don't know much about him, just seems to show decent numbers both offensively and defensively in limited time.  And he's young.

I also feel like Cody Roberts might have a shot.  Maybe.  Not sure about Ben Breazeale either after a decent first season.  Jean Carrillo was hitting well into June than started to tank, but he wasn't never known as a big hitter.  Everyone else looks like org filler.

Audrey Perez could get a couple more cups of coffee.

Murphy was moved from catcher to first base when he reached Frederick 2 seasons ago, after splitting time at catcher and first in Delmarva when Yermin Mercedes was there.

He is still in the org, but is out for the season. During the first week or 2, he collided with Preston Palmeiro on a pop up and torn his ACL.

25 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Murphy was moved from catcher to first base when he reached Frederick 2 seasons ago, after splitting time at catcher and first in Delmarva when Yermin Mercedes was there.

He is still in the org, but is out for the season. During the first week or 2, he collided with Preston Palmeiro on a pop up and torn his ACL.

Was his D subpar behind the plate?  Because his offensive numbers would be solid for a catcher but average as a 1B

5 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Was his D subpar behind the plate?  Because his offensive numbers would be solid for a catcher but average as a 1B

That part I'm not 100% sure on. I think it was, but he was better than Mercedes, so there might have been more to it. I never got to see him catch.

2 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

There's nothing we don't need -- other than DH/1B types. But a shortstop or a long-term catcher would be really nice, and those look like real possibilities if we stay behind everyone else (or everyone else but KC).

I’d like to see a return to drafting SS, C and CFs.  

Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but I'd rather have a great catcher than a great any-other-position.  Catchers affect the game more than any other single player.

As an aside, should I combine the 1B thread with the DH thread in this series?

4 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but I'd rather have a great catcher than a great any-other-position.  Catchers affect the game more than any other single player.

As an aside, should I combine the 1B thread with the DH thread in this series?

As long as Buck is here you might as well add in corner outfielder.

On 8/4/2018 at 4:52 PM, Greg Pappas said:

Adley Rutschmann was a beast this year, and if he has another big year he'll likely be among the top few picks in the draft.  Naturally, it's a long way off, but he could wind up being a target of ours.

I like Shea Langeliers from Baylor too..I think he is the best defensive catcher coming out in a long time...it will always be can they hit enough...

Archived