2019+ Positional Review Series: 1B/DH

Greg Pappas

In this new thread series, I’m seeking to start a review of our organization. It’s my hope that we can generate a lot of discussion about where we stand currently, and what the future may hold-- position-by-position.  Regarding minor leaguers, I’d like to keep the focus on players that are our better prospects, as well as those that have a reasonable chance to contribute at the major league level for years to come.  If I miss a player that you feel should be featured, please note it.  Also, if ANYONE wants to work on the remaining series thread (Starters) please shoot me a message. I'd be happy to get any help.;) Thanks. Lastly, I'll list each 'position' below and add links as they're completed.

2019+ Positional Review Series: Catcher
2019+ Positional Review Series: 1B/DH
2019+ Positional Review Series: 2B
2019+ Positional Review Series: SS
2019+ Positional Review Series: 3B
2019+ Positional Review Series: Outfielders / Nice write-ups from @Legend_Of_Joey 
2019+ Positional Review Series: Starters
2019+ Positional Review Series: Relievers @Thato'sfan created this /

Anyway... let's get to 1B/DH

MLB:

Minors:

Chris Davis' contract is a major issue, as his production, errr, lack of production, is alarmingly bad.  What the O's do with him will be interesting, as they theoretically could release him, keep him on the roster but bench him, or suffer throughout the duration of his contract in hopes they get some value out of the deal. Trumbo has one more season under contract, and while he's been merely decent, he's also failed to live up to his deal.  It's likely the team will make every effort to dump him onto another team, even if they have to eat a large portion of his contract. Hopefully he will not be with the team next year.  Mancini, while currently is LF, can play 1B or DH. He's having a poor season after a good rookie year last year, so his future is debatable. 

While Ryan Mountcastle is a 3B, he is not considered a good defender at third, and may eventually be moved to either LF or 1B.  He seems athletic enough to be able to handle the switch to 1B, though my knowledge on him is limited. Santander is a wildcard... not someone we can get too excited over, but one that may still be a solid contributor in the OF or perhaps more likely at DH. Curran is a long way off and isn't a great prospect, but is young (20) and shows some promise.

Overall,  the lack of quality prospects and depth is poor, and only Mountcastle's potential switch to 1B seems able to turn a sore spot into a bright one.  Mancini could still factor in as well. What does the future hold?  The crystal baseball is murky. Thoughts?

Good job. This is a hard one to do because basically any hitter that doesn’t have average defense could wind up at DH. You could add guys like Preston Palmeiro and Jomar Reyes but where would it stop?  

The elephant in the room is Chris Davis. How long are we going to stick with him?  We have too much money invested into 1B/DH and its a position that has shown to have lost value really fast recently. 

I do think it would be appropriate to add Trey Mancini as a 1B. I respect the work he has done in the OF, but with all of our prospects he will be DH’ing a lot in 19’+, hopefully after a Trumbo Trade. 

Do you think that Stewart will do more good than harm in LF?

When he was drafted, Duquette said Stewart reminded him of Ortiz, who was a half-player whose defense was so bad that he was only on the field in inter-league games. At the time I thought that it was a waste of a first round pick to take a DH. I have no reason to change my mind yet.

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Good job. This is a hard one to do because basically any hitter that doesn’t have average defense could wind up at DH. You could add guys like Preston Palmeiro and Jomar Reyes but where would it stop?  

The elephant in the room is Chris Davis. How long are we going to stick with him?  We have too much money invested into 1B/DH and its a position that has shown to have lost value really fast recently. 

I do think it would be appropriate to add Trey Mancini as a 1B. I respect the work he has done in the OF, but with all of our prospects he will be DH’ing a lot in 19’+, hopefully after a Trumbo Trade. 

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

All kidding aside I can't agree with you listing Mountcastle as a 1B/DH and not Mancini.

I thought I was missing someone... thank you! LOL. I'll add him, certainly.

2 minutes ago, panick said:

When he was drafted, Duquette said Stewart reminded him of Ortiz, who was a half-player whose defense was so bad that he was only on the field in inter-league games. At the time I thought that it was a waste of a first round pick to take a DH. I have no reason to change my mind yet.

I guess you could go with a quote from when he was drafted instead of years of scouting reports and in game statistics.

If you want.

4 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Dosch has played some 1B at AAA.  Are guys like Aderlin Rodriguez, Wilson Garcia, and JC Escarra worth bringing into the conversation?  Most likely filler, but they have done well this year.

Any player is worth discussing, as long as they have what would appear to be a legit shot to be a solid contributor someday. AAAA types, not so much.

3 hours ago, panick said:

Stewart is wonderful in left field. He's just not hitting any more. 

3 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

.  .  .  

While Ryan Mountcastle is a 3B, he is not considered a good defender at third, and may eventually be moved to either LF or 1B.  He seems athletic enough to be able to handle the switch to 1B, though my knowledge on him is limited. 

.  .  . 

It's my impression that guys who come up short defensively at third are pretty good defensively at first. They usually have the ability to react quickly to hard hit balls and are used to making the kinds of quick decisions that first basemen have to make. Texieira and Davis are a couple of recent examples close to home. I've always understand that Mountcastle's main defensive liability is his arm (though he didn't look too good at catching the ball when I saw him briefly in ST), so he should be capable of becoming a decent first baseman, and maybe better than that. 

Archived