August Trade Stock Watch

ScGO's

August trades are happening and new players are clearing waivers everyday.  Below are 7 guys who I could see Dan trying to ship out this month.  Its clear that clearing salary is a big part of this rebuild, so I expect Dan to be creative this month.  If any trades happen, don't expect much; the classic PTBNL, international money, cash considerations, or maybe a C- milb'er.  However, seeing guys shipped out clears roster space, saves money, and adds a little kindling to the fire for the faithful, so I hope its an active August.

1. Adam Jones - Warm - It sounds to me if he can be traded to contender where he is guaranteed a starting role, he might bite. If somebody goes down for a playoff contender, he might bring back a decent prospect. Dan would love shedding some of the money left on the contract.  His September salary alone is between 2-3 million I would think.

2. Danny Valencia - Hot - The ideal player for September expanded rosters.  One thing, and he does it well, mash the lefties. Might actually get a player in return if there is some minor competition for him.

3. Mark Trumbo - Cold - I haven't heard his name at all.  I just think Dan could try to be creative with shedding roster space. He got rid of O'day when nobody saw that coming.  Props to Dan on that one.  But let's see if he can do it again.  Would be pulling a big clog out of the roster shuffle too as it would be a valuable move in allowing some younger players to play more and in the correct positions.

4. Joey Rickard - Cold - No where to put him with the new infusion of OF talent.  Entering arbitration too.  Maybe swap for someone in the same situation but who plays middle infield? A AAAA player for a AAAA player?

5. Craig Gentry - Warm - Speed and defense are always appreciated in September.  If he returns healthy, he might get shipped to a contender. Again, could net a player or intl' money.

6. Caleb Joseph - Cold -But if a catcher goes down for a contender, he could find a market.  He is still a positive WAR player (not by much), and would be better suited for a 2nd string role.  Has playoff experience too.  Will probably gain a raise in arbitration, so could be another salary relief move.

7. Andrew Cashner - Cold - I don't see it happening, but if he puts 2 or 3 solid starts together and someone gets desperate, he could go.  Might have a better market next year, and we do need a little depth for pitching next year, but if Dan gets a chance to pass the salary off, it might happen.

Wild Card: Pedro Alvarez - Quietly killing it at AAA.  Even if he isn't called up, I wonder if Dan would be able to shop him to someone looking for big lefty power when the rosters expand in September.   This would be an impressive move.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

3. Mark Trumbo - Cold - I haven't heard his name at all.  I just think Dan could try to be creative with shedding roster space. He got rid of O'day when nobody saw that coming.  Props to Dan on that one.  But let's see if he can do it again.  Would be pulling a big clog out of the roster shuffle too as it would be a valuable move in allowing some younger players to play more and in the correct positions.

Props to DD for getting nothing for Gausman by packaging him with O'Day?  So you want us to package Bundy with Trumbo and get nothing in return? 

22 minutes ago, vab said:

If Cobb could put together a couple more good starts, maybe? Would have to pick-up some of the salary but that would be a great one to get some relief on.

Good thought, but the remaining three years left on his contract would not be appealing to another team.   Just my humble opinion.

4 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Saying the same thing over and over again doesn't make it true.  It was wrong the first time and continues to be wrong.

It is true but for some reason you are living in fantasy land where you don't want to admit.  Best prospect according to MLB.com is Jean Carlos Encarnacio who is rated as our 15 best prospect and is rated overall as a 45.  You get more than that for a dependable middle of the rotation guy with over 2 1/2 years left. It was a complete steal for the Braves.  A complete salary dump and no regards to the return. 

1 hour ago, clapdiddy said:

Good thought, but the remaining three years left on his contract would not be appealing to another team.   Just my humble opinion.

If Cobb stays on this trajectory through next year, he will be a top deadline trade piece then. If he is an above average starter, those two remaining years (plus the high leverage couple months) at a relatively modest price will be no big deal to a wealthy contender....and perhaps even a selling point. So there should be some bidding for him prospect wise. 

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Props to DD for getting nothing for Gausman by packaging him with O'Day?  So you want us to package Bundy with Trumbo and get nothing in return? 

If we traded Bundy with Trumbo for a similar package that we got to Gausman I would be very pleased.  I'd hope a prospect or two might be a little stronger as we probably don't get the intl cash we got for Gausman.

3 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

If we traded Bundy with Trumbo for a similar package that we got to Gausman I would be very pleased.  I'd hope a prospect or two might be a little stronger as we probably don't get the intl cash we got for Gausman.

Why would you be pleased? The team's payroll next year will be low.  What will it gain you to get non-prospects for a guy of Bundy just to save 13.5 million dollars of Trumbo's salary?   You can always just DFA Trumbo if you don't want him on the team. 

1 minute ago, Chavez Ravine said:

If Cobb stays on this trajectory through next year, he will be a top deadline trade piece then. If he is an above average starter, those two remaining years (plus the high leverage couple months) at a relatively modest price will be no big deal to a wealthy contender....and perhaps even a selling point. So there should be some bidding for him prospect wise. 

I agree with this line of thinking.  Right now, he's not going to get you much because of his overall numbers.   But, if he's able to keep things moving forward this year and into next, he could be attractive to a contender.   

15 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

In two years from now, we may also look back and realize Gausman wasn't all that good.  I didn't think he had a ton of value going into the trade deadline personally.

Well he had the value to get someone to pay 12 million dollars for him in addition to his salary so I think you are clearly mistaken.  In no way does your arguments make any sense. 

I would love to see Trumbo moved. We need Mancini out of LF. Even if the team is no good the next few years I think it'd be nice to have a good defense. If you can't hit or pitch then at least field well. I don't think anyone else goes though. And I don't even think Trumbo actually moves.

2 hours ago, ScGO's said:

August trades are happening and new players are clearing waivers everyday.  Below are 7 guys who I could see Dan trying to ship out this month.  Its clear that clearing salary is a big part of this rebuild, so I expect Dan to be creative this month.  If any trades happen, don't expect much; the classic PTBNL, international money, cash considerations, or maybe a C- milb'er.  However, seeing guys shipped out clears roster space, saves money, and adds a little kindling to the fire for the faithful, so I hope its an active August.

1. Adam Jones - Warm - It sounds to me if he can be traded to contender where he is guaranteed a starting role, he might bite. If somebody goes down for a playoff contender, he might bring back a decent prospect. Dan would love shedding some of the money left on the contract.  His September salary alone is between 2-3 million I would think.

2. Danny Valencia - Hot - The ideal player for September expanded rosters.  One thing, and he does it well, mash the lefties. Might actually get a player in return if there is some minor competition for him.

4. Joey Rickard - Cold - No where to put him with the new infusion of OF talent.  Entering arbitration too.  Maybe swap for someone in the same situation but who plays middle infield? A AAAA player for a AAAA player?

5. Craig Gentry - Warm - Speed and defense are always appreciated in September.  If he returns healthy, he might get shipped to a contender. Again, could net a player or intl' money.

6. Caleb Joseph - Cold -But if a catcher goes down for a contender, he could find a market.  He is still a positive WAR player (not by much), and would be better suited for a 2nd string role.  Has playoff experience too.  Will probably gain a raise in arbitration, so could be another salary relief move.

7. Andrew Cashner - Cold - I don't see it happening, but if he puts 2 or 3 solid starts together and someone gets desperate, he could go.  Might have a better market next year, and we do need a little depth for pitching next year, but if Dan gets a chance to pass the salary off, it might happen.

Wild Card: Pedro Alvarez - Quietly killing it at AAA.  Even if he isn't called up, I wonder if Dan would be able to shop him to someone looking for big lefty power when the rosters expand in September.   This would be an impressive move.

Valencia is the only one I think "might' get traded. Jones isn't approving a trade, teams won't touch Cashner or Trumbo (or Cobb) because of the extra years on their contracts, and the others aren't good enough to be on major league rosters. 

12 minutes ago, oriole said:

I would love to see Trumbo moved. We need Mancini out of LF. Even if the team is no good the next few years I think it'd be nice to have a good defense. If you can't hit or pitch then at least field well. I don't think anyone else goes though. And I don't even think Trumbo actually moves.

The defense MUST improve next year.   We are below average right now at every position on the field.

Archived