What would it take to move Davis or Trumbo?

jtschrei

We're in a rebuild, payroll the next few years is going to be very low.  So we can eat it, if we have to.  Sucks, but it's already paid for.  You can't move Davis.  I think you hope he figures something new out over winter and spring, and if he does not, you cut him.  Trumbo, you might be able to waiver wire him, but I doubt it.  I think you just live with Trumbo for another year.  You mostly DH him and a bit in RF, maybe a bit at 1B.  He's not going to kill or even really slow the rebuild.  Davis, however, you have to move on from him if he doesn't turn it around in the spring.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Need to swap salary dumps.

Trumbo for some trash pitcher with 10-15 million left on his contract.

Davis for Jordan Zimmermann or Chen type who is owed 50-60 million and we kick in 30 million.

Salary dump swaps hold that little hope that maybe the bust you get has a little bounce back (like Kemp in LA this year) left in him. There's less stigma attached to the new player. Davis has been so putrid though may need to sacrifice a prospect or two (or Bundy) which wouldn't be appealing.

And arm and a leg comes to mind.

CD will be and Oriole till they have had enough, and dump / release him, or the guy preforms a 180 turn around. My guess if the decline continues like this his playing time will be cut back more and more till he gets released or retires. Not much else you can do with the WORST contract in MLB history.

Trumbo unless traded (My gut says that may happen in the off season) will play out his contract here and move on. JMHO

1 minute ago, TouchemAll said:

And arm and a leg comes to mind.

CD will be and Oriole till they have had enough, and dump / release him, or the guy preforms a 180 turn around. My guess if the decline continues like this his playing time will be cut back more and more till he gets released or retires. Not much else you can do with the WORST contract in MLB history.

Trumbo unless traded will play out his contract here and move on. JMHO

He can't continue to decline like this, he'll hit terminal velocity by next June.

54 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

Trumbo: Yes it's certainly possible. He is a decent bat that could be valuable to someone. Like someone said, maybe we eat half the salary? I think that could work and be of interest to someone if he keeps hitting this month. Hit 47 HRs less than a year ago. 

Two years ago.   Unless he hit 47 homers in some league last winter.   

48 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

One is not like the other in the OP’s question.  

Correct, but these are both players that will be blocking roster spots for younger talent next season.  Just because Trumbo provides some value and Davis provides no value doesn't mean that both are going to be wanted for next year.

Trumbo is more likely to move, I think we can.  It might not be easy.

Davis is going to be way, way tough.  If the Orioles release him, I am not sure what that means for the rest of the contract.  Is he still owed the rest of the money?

I'm not sure what can be done, but if I am the O's GM I am on the phone with Davis' agent the minute the season is over trying to negotiate something.  

IMO, two of the most important things for this offseason is getting rid of these two players.  Yes, we'll have to eat some salary but roster flexibility and available spots for young players next year are too valuable.  Can't afford to have a guy like Davis on the roster if it means that Mountcastle or someone like him is blocked.

With Davis, just remember this is a guaranteed contract. There will be no negotiating. The deal is what it is. You can keep him for the duration of the contract. You can release him, and pay the duration of the contract. But, you are going to pay the full amount of the contract in any event. The only way that does not happen is if he retires on his own. I think the chance of that happening are pretty slim. I think the smart move is to cut your losses, and release the guy knowing full well that you will be on the hook for the money.

Archived