What would it take to move Davis or Trumbo?

jtschrei

If you're serious about rebuilding then Davis needs to be released during the offseason unless he agrees to a minor league assignment which is highly unlikely.  It's not even about the roster spot to me, it's about trying to build a new team atmosphere around someone who obviously no longer has any business on a ML baseball field.  The situation simply can't be ignored even for a day.

Trumbo isn't a concern to me.  It would be better if he could be traded, but if not, it's not the end of the world.  2019 is going to stink anyway.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they give Davis the offseason and three months next year. If he is still terrible in July and won't take an assignment to an Orioles affiliate or extended spring training camp of his choosing, he gets released.

It's been said a couple dozen times already but he is untradeable.

16 minutes ago, TGO said:

I think they give Davis the offseason and three months next year. If he is still terrible in July and won't take an assignment to an Orioles affiliate or extended spring training camp of his choosing, he gets released.

It's been said a couple dozen times already but he is untradeable.

Exactly what I think.   They have to give him one more offseason to try to get his act together.

I really want to get Trey out if the OF but I don’t see a pressing need at the start of 2019. Most of the OF prospects will not be ready by Opening Day. 

I think mid 2019 is the most realistic hope to move either one unless we take on a bad contract for Trumbo in the winter.  

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Exactly what I think.   They have to give him one more offseason to try to get his act together.

If he actually works at improving and not only a "Lip Service" type workout.  I want to see an entirely different type of stance and swing next spring.

7 hours ago, theobird said:

With Davis, just remember this is a guaranteed contract. There will be no negotiating. The deal is what it is. You can keep him for the duration of the contract. You can release him, and pay the duration of the contract. But, you are going to pay the full amount of the contract in any event. The only way that does not happen is if he retires on his own. I think the chance of that happening are pretty slim. I think the smart move is to cut your losses, and release the guy knowing full well that you will be on the hook for the money.

I dont know that the chance is "slim".  If he continues to do this, do you really think he just doesn't hang 'em up? If he continues with these numbers, he will go down as one of the worst hitters in baseball history.  My guess is Davis has enough money and doesn't care for that kind of moniker

The thought of quitting has crossed Davis’ mind. Walking away from his career, the money, in the most drastic of resets. Only he can reach for that button.

“Yeah, several days, but that’s not who I am,” he said. “And I made a commitment not only to the Baltimore Orioles but to our fans, to my family, to my teammates for seven years and I’m going to be here as long as they’ll keep letting me walk through the door before those seven years are up.

Sounds to me that Chris might be persuaded to walk away. It would take a buy out and management telling him that he's going to ge the 25th man and mostly riding the pine.

16 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Really good interview with Chris Davis this morning on Roch's blog.   I think it might illuminate some things being discussed here.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/08/chris-davis-on-struggles-false-theories-and-whether-hed-quit.html

He does reaffirm the fact that he still takes the medication, Vyvanse (from above link):

Are his issues at the plate, including the called third strikes that led the majors last season, somehow related to his medication, though he was taking it during the 2015 season? Davis refers back to his suspension before dousing another theory.

“I understand that was a mistake I may never stop paying for in the eyes of some people, not going through the steps to get reapproved for those couple of years,” he said. “I understand that. But the medication that I take doesn’t make me a great baseball player. The entire reason I started taking this was because life away from baseball was just kind of spiraling out of control and I had never really explored any avenues as far as being diagnosed.

“There was some pretty good certainty in a few of my school teachers when I was younger that I had ADHD, just because, I mean, I’m the poster child for it. But my whole life I had been able to go out and play baseball with no problem because it was almost like an escape. It was almost place where I felt so in my skin that I didn’t have to worry about forgetting to do something earlier that day. So, the medication gets in my opinion a little too much power in some people’s eyes. And yeah, it’s the same thing I’ve been taking for years. It’s the same thing, it’s made by the same guy. It’s just under a different name.

“I’ve had success years I didn’t take anything, I’ve had success years I was on medication. That’s an easy fix to me if that was the case. If I thought that was the reason I was struggling, I’d do whatever I could to not have to worry about it. I just think that’s too much of an easy fix.”

Archived