An Early Look at the 2019 Draft

Greg Pappas

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well, not many humans can hit a baseball 500 feet, in BP or any other time.    Whether he’ll make solid contact against major league stuff is anybody’s guess at this point.    In any event, I’ll worry about it in 2021.

Yes. I will say that I like how he talked about the inevitable struggles of the game. A lot of young guys don’t get that. The mental side is a modest positive for him, so it seems. 

20 hours ago, baltfan said:

Sorry, I am not buying that there isn’t something fishy here.  No one hits 500 foot homers in the MLB home run derby and this kid is 15 and doing so.  Obviously he has power but not this much. 

He was using a metal bat.  Still very impressive and prodigious power especially for a 15 year old, but this is an important detail.

20 hours ago, baltfan said:

Sorry, I am not buying that there isn’t something fishy here.  No one hits 500 foot homers in the MLB home run derby and this kid is 15 and doing so.  Obviously he has power but not this much. 

Also, I'm not sure if you're implying he's using PEDs, but if so, looking at his body, I'd tend to say that's unlikely.

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I bet Prince Fielder could have done it at 15.

Prince used to hit them out of MPB ballparks at 13, so yeah. With wood too.

As far as the metal bat, the BBCOR bats (currently the HS/travel ball standard) are dead compared to quality wood bats. It sounded like a composite bat, also BBCOR, but I don’t know. Very small sweet spots. 

On 12/29/2018 at 4:35 PM, joelala said:

He was using a metal bat.  Still very impressive and prodigious power especially for a 15 year old, but this is an important detail.

Metal bat is huge. Beer league softball players can hit 400 ft ones.  

On another note, the draft would be so much more fun to follow if teams could trade picks. 

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Metal bat is huge. Beer league softball players can hit 400 ft ones.  

On another note, the draft would be so much more fun to follow if teams could trade picks. 

Orioles would definitely trade down in the draft every year lol

• 2 weeks later...

Archived