An Early Look at the 2019 Draft

Greg Pappas

This is a compilation of items (articles, lists, podcasts, etc...) that highlight the top prospects, and other intricacies, for the 2019 Draft.
With the O's picking 1, 41, 72,  79, and 109 in the first four rounds, it's fun to look ahead, with the caveat that it's VERY early and these lists and opinions will likely change... potentially a great deal.
So, don't take this too seriously.  I hope you find these resources informational:

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

This is a compilation of items (articles, lists, podcasts, etc...) that highlight the top prospects, and other intricacies, for the 2019 Draft. With it looking like we'll be picking either first or second, it's fun to look ahead, with the caveat that it's VERY early and these lists and opinions will likely change... potentially a great deal. So, don't take this too seriously.  I hope you find these informational:

Aweseome, thanks!

From watching the videos in the Baseball America article, I'm not really crazy about Witt Jr.  He hits off his front foot.  I'm pretty sure Luke has mentioned before that that's a relatively easy fix though, so maybe not a huge deal.  The guy who's swing really stood out to me was Riley Greene's.  The sound the ball makes off the bat is loud. 

Hinds also looked better that Witt IMO.

On 8/10/2018 at 12:40 PM, joelala said:

Aweseome, thanks!

From watching the videos in the Baseball America article, I'm not really crazy about Witt Jr.  He hits off his front foot.  I'm pretty sure Luke has mentioned before that that's a relatively easy fix though, so maybe not a huge deal.  The guy who's swing really stood out to me was Riley Greene's.  The sound the ball makes off the bat is loud. 

Witt is super talented, but he's far from being a lock for a Top 5 or even Top 10 pick. We'll see how he does during the spring. Naturally, the more super talent at the top, the better. So, I'm rooting for all of these guys to have great upcoming seasons and showcases.

Yeah, this is a fun subject.  Fangraphs loves Rutschman.  He seems like the same kind of prospect that Wieters was.  I always thought Wieters was hurt by his long legs playing catcher, and that shouldn't be a problem for Rutschman.  Right now, I'm thinking either him or Hinds - and leaning towards Rutschman.  

Does the CBA allow draft picks to be traded?  

15 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Witt is super talented, but he's far from being a Top 5 or even Top 10 pick. We'll see how he does during the spring. Naturally, the more super talent at the top, the better. So, I'm rooting for all of these guys to have great upcoming seasons and showcases.

Indeed, looks like we should land a potential impact player even if we don't have the number one overall pick.  Potentially very exciting and these guys will be fun to follow next spring.

At this ridiculously early point, I'm big on Rutschman.  My reasoning is that I feel a truly great catcher (both offensively AND defensively) would be the most coveted hypothetical player in all of baseball. Another way of putting it is that I'd rather select a great young catcher over any other position, including SS and SP. IMHO.

24 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

At this ridiculously early point, I'm big on Rutschman.  My reasoning is that I feel a truly great catcher (both offensively AND defensively) would be the most coveted hypothetical player in all of baseball. Another way of putting it is that I'd rather select a great young catcher over any other position, including SS and SP. IMHO.

It is interesting that catcher is arguably the weakest position in the MLB at present when so many kids come up trying to be catchers in order to have a better shot at making it to the MLB.  On most travel teams I see, there are tons of kids who want to be catcher and many times it is the best kids.

31 minutes ago, baltfan said:

It is interesting that catcher is arguably the weakest position in the MLB at present when so many kids come up trying to be catchers in order to have a better shot at making it to the MLB.  On most travel teams I see, there are tons of kids who want to be catcher and many times it is the best kids.

And one of the top SS prospects (can't remember which) has played some catcher and apparently looked good doing it.  I remeber back in the day - Atlanta's top prospect was catcher... Dale Murphy. His first few games in the majors were disasters defensively, and they moved him to centerfield.  The rest is history - including 2 MVP awards.  And BJ Surhoff started out as a catcher.  Craig Biggio...  Werth...  These guys started out as catchers and presumably wanted to be catchers.  It takes a special player to stick at catcher and still be a big-time offensive player.    

2 hours ago, joelala said:

Aweseome, thanks!

Wow, the front foot thing is crazy. That is the first thing I work on with my 7-10 year olds. I don't think I have ever seen it that extreme at that level.

Archived