Speed

weams

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes it is all about scoring runs...

Boston has played the same amount of games as the Orioles. They scored 52 more runs than we have. 417 to 365.

They have 36 more stolen bases than us. 48 to 12. Old man Ortiz has more steals than anyone on our team except Rickard.

Any questions about stolen bases leading to runs? ;)

Their league leading .827 Team OPS (2nd is COL with .803 and 3rd is CHC with .778) has more to do with them scoring more runs. Also should mention that their team OBP is .355, COL is 2nd with .336.

Ok fellas, if you guys are totally against the O's stealing bases so be it. Buck has made his decision.

Only Rickard will run. So what if old fat David Ortiz has more steals than every other Oriole except Rickard.

Ok fellas, if you guys are totally against the O's stealing bases so be it. Buck has made his decision.

Only Rickard will run. So what if old fat David Ortiz has more steals than every other Oriole except Rickard.

I don't think you understand that if you only have 2-3 guys who are even capable of stealing bases, it makes no sense to do so. You will just make more outs. If you want SB then get different players. Judging from your posts you are too young to know who Earl Weaver was but he was a great baseball mind and he said," The key to winning baseball games is pitching, fundamentals, and three run homers." I don't see anything in there about SB.

Only Rickard will run. So what if fat old David Ortiz has more steals than every other Oriole except Rickard.

You're arguing results/wins vs. bragging rights.

The Orioles, as currently constructed, are 4 games ahead of the Red Sox in the standings, have beaten the Red Sox 6 times out of 10 in head-on play so far this season, and are currently playing lights-out baseball (in terms of winning games) while the Red Sox are struggling badly, having lost 5 out of their last 7 games against the White Sox and the Rangers.

If the Orioles finish the season ahead of the Red Sox in the standings and win the AL East division, nobody will care if "fat old" David Ortiz has more stolen bases than the entire Orioles team combined, INCLUDING Joey Rickard ...... except perhaps for some bitter, sour-grapes Red Sox fans who will be desperately reaching for something to taunt the Orioles and their fans with.

Yes it is all about scoring runs...

Boston has played the same amount of games as the Orioles. They scored 52 more runs than we have. 417 to 365.

They have 36 more stolen bases than us. 48 to 12. Old man Ortiz has more steals than anyone on our team except Rickard.

Any questions about stolen bases leading to runs? ;)

They are just slightly above the threshhold as a team in steals to not be hurting their run totals. I've heard a team needs to be around 81% successful to have a positive impact on runs scored. They are 48-8 which is very, very close to 81%

They are just slightly above the threshhold as a team in steals to not be hurting their run totals. I've heard a team needs to be around 81% successful to have a positive impact on runs scored. They are 48-8 which is very, very close to 81%

I think that is a tad high. I have always heard 75 percent is the breakeven rate. A quick Google search shows that Fangraphs also sees that as the rule of thumb.

I don't think you understand that if you only have 2-3 guys who are even capable of stealing bases, it makes no sense to do so. You will just make more outs. If you want SB then get different players. Judging from your posts you are too young to know who Earl Weaver was but he was a great baseball mind and he said," The key to winning baseball games is pitching, fundamentals, and three run homers." I don't see anything in there about SB.

I remember Earl Weaver very well. :D I was also watching every game back when Brady Anderson stole over 50 bases and also when Brian Roberts stole 50 bases. Im 58. ;)

The Orioles might not be stealing a whole lot of bases these days. But Adam Jones still knows how to do a safety squeeze to score a run (as it turned out, Joey Rickard). Best of all, Adam Jones was safe at first. :thumbsup1:

The Orioles might not be stealing a whole lot of bases these days. But Adam Jones still knows how to do a safety squeeze to score a run (as it turned out, Joey Rickard). Best of all, Adam Jones was safe at first. :thumbsup1:

It was Nolan Reimold.

All of those short-haired White guys look the same.

I remember Earl Weaver very well. :D I was also watching every game back when Brady Anderson stole over 50 bases and also when Brian Roberts stole 50 bases. Im 58. ;)

Did we make it to the playoffs either year? I remember going to the playoffs when Brady hit 50 HR.

• 2 years later...

Archived