Has Cobb become our "ace"?

Flacco Machado

59 minutes ago, cheecks said:

There was an article in the Baltimore Sun, in which Cobb attributes his recent success to finally finding his change-up. This is great news, in that his recent success may be more of a trend than a fluke. 

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-alex-cobb-changeup-20180817-story.html

3 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Nice article.

Roch posted one after today's game. It sounds like Cobb had a great feel for all of his pitches, and was able to spot it where he needed. Also, he talks about his mentality today to finish what he started.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/08/wrapping-up-a-4-2-win-and-cobbs-complete-game.html

o

o

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cheecks said:

There was an article in the Sun where Cobb attributes his recent success to finally finding his changeup. This is great news in that his recent success may be more of a trend than a fluke. 

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-alex-cobb-changeup-20180817-story.html

This has been something of a lost year for Cobb, but he's a better pitcher than 2018 has shown him to be. Hopefully he levels out, has a healthy offseason and returns to form next year, therein becoming a viable trade candidate for the O's.

I’m enjoying Cobb’s recent run of good pitching.    I can’t help but wonder how our year might have gone if he and several of our hitters hadn’t done so much worse than their career norms in the first 2-3 months.    A lot of them have recovered in the last two months, but now key teammates are gone and the season’s hopeless.    Oh well, it is what it is.

46 minutes ago, bird watcher said:

Did Cobb pass through waivers?  He might have some trade value now if he did. He has been really good of late.  The Yankees still need pitching especially for next year.  I am not sure what his salary this year would do to their luxury tax situation. 

I wondered that myself. I really wish the passing through waivers thing was public record.

5 hours ago, bird watcher said:

Did Cobb pass through waivers?  He might have some trade value now if he did. He has been really good of late.  The Yankees still need pitching especially for next year.  I am not sure what his salary this year would do to their luxury tax situation. 

He has a complete no-trade clause for this season, and a limited clause for next.

Why the rush to trade Cobb? Someone has to pitch, even on a rebuilding team. Some of the young pitchers could learn from a guy who doesn't rely on stuff.  Its important to have pitchers that give a young offense a chance. Rebuilding or not, the goal is to win and build a winning attitude. Having SP that gives you a chance to win, can accelerate a rebuild.

21 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Why the rush to trade Cobb? Someone has to pitch, even on a rebuilding team. Some of the young pitchers could learn from a guy who doesn't rely on stuff.  Its important to have pitchers that give a young offense a chance. Rebuilding or not, the goal is to win and build a winning attitude. Having SP that gives you a chance to win, can accelerate a rebuild.

Because the people on here don’t think they will be good in three years.  I think Duquette’s plan is to be good in three years.

13 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

Because the people on here don’t think they will be good in three years.  I think Duquette’s plan is to be good in three years.

I get what you’re saying, but as @Dark Helmet said- someone’s got to pitch- even in a rebuild. The guy is on a decent contract and has a proven track record of success. I am a fan of keeping him around, not only as an example for our young guys,  but as a somewhat stabilizing force to the rotation. Rushing guys who aren’t ready or playing AAAA yacabonis types will do nothing for the teams development or rebuild. I believe that with a true offseason, Cobb will be back to his career norms next year.

26 minutes ago, terpoh said:

I get what you’re saying, but as @Dark Helmet said- someone’s got to pitch- even in a rebuild. The guy is on a decent contract and has a proven track record of success. I am a fan of keeping him around, not only as an example for our young guys,  but as a somewhat stabilizing force to the rotation. Rushing guys who aren’t ready or playing AAAA yacabonis types will do nothing for the teams development or rebuild. I believe that with a true offseason, Cobb will be back to his career norms next year.

I want him here. I think they can be decent in three years, but that is not a common thought here.

I agree with trying to build through a stronger farm system, but I still think you try to win as many as you can next year. I think keeping Cobb and Cashner can help us be a lot more competitive next year if we make some changes in our coaching staff, straighten up our defense and do something about making more contact at the plate.

2 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

I think it depends on what they can get for him. If the return gives multiple players who will be more cost controlled and ready to contribute in 2-3 years then I do it. That lessens payroll then which allows the flexibility to sign another pitcher if needed. Who wven knows what our needs will be then?  Why pay that salary now just to have him in 3 years when we might be competitive?

The dark part of me looks at what he did last time out and hopes he doesn’t win enough to let KC leapfrog us. 

Archived