Dan to Roch: Possible September Call Ups

weams

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

If they are going to move him off of third I would like to see them give him a shot at second before 1B or LF.  With all of the prospects we have coming up in the OF and having Davis / Mancini for 1B.  I think our prospect group of position players looks a lot better with a big time hitting second baseman in the mix.

I don't think he has the arm strength to make up for the lack of range he would have at second base. I think we all would like him to be a 3B or 2B but I believe he's best suited for LF or 1B.

6 hours ago, ChuckS said:

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/prospects/eyewitness_bat.php?reportid=457

Poor lateral agility.  Not the only place I've read that he doesn't have the range for SS.  2B requires a similar amount of ground to be covered. 

You left out the ‘enough athleticism to develop fringe-average utility at 2B’. Not a glowing critique, but if his bat is plus I wonder if he’d play. 

BP clearly states he doesn’t have arm strength for the left side, not the right.

11 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

You left out the ‘enough athleticism to develop fringe-average utility at 2B’. Not a glowing critique, but if his bat is plus I wonder if he’d play. 

BP clearly states he doesn’t have arm strength for the left side, not the right.

I was just addressing his range.  Poor lateral agility is going to impact range at 2B just as much as SS.  

He could be worth trying out at 2B.  If his bat is going to play I just rather have him at a position where he is plus or at least average.    

13 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't think he has the arm strength to make up for the lack of range he would have at second base. I think we all would like him to be a 3B or 2B but I believe he's best suited for LF or 1B.

This is a little depressing.  Our near future position player group consist of outfielders, 1B/DH and Villar.

1 hour ago, RVAOsFan said:

This is a little depressing.  Our near future position player group consist of outfielders, 1B/DH and Villar.

Well, there are these things called trades and free agents.  You don't have to develop every player on your team.  The Yankees didn't develop Gregorious, or Torres, or Stanton.  Not comparing us to the Yankees, but pointing out that not every player comes out of your own system.  Once we shed payroll on current veterans and develop some of our own talent, we'll be in a much better postition to sign free agent.  Outfield may be a position that we can trade from depth in the future.  We'll see, it's not all doom and gloom.

14 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

If he could be a 45 glove at 2B, that'd play well with his bat. The question is whether he can develop that fringe-average (45) utility at 2B.

21 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

If he could be a 45 glove at 2B, that'd play well with his bat. The question is whether he can develop that fringe-average (45) utility at 2B.

Slight bit of sarcasm in my previous response because I think it’s obvious if he was a 45 with the glove his bat would play. The question is, does he ever get the chance?

On 8/23/2018 at 3:04 PM, wildcard said:

Hays is having  a nice August  at Bowie now that he is healthy.  He is on the 40 man roster.  I expect to see  him with the O's in September.

What are you talking about?

Hays is hitting .244/.263/.385 August. He is hitting .100/.143/.100 over his last 7 days.

Archived