Local Media v. National Media-- Scooping the Orioles

Greg Pappas

26 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Not just "have ties," they were featured baseball reporters who worked at The Sun.

You can add Richard Justice to that list of former Sun baseball writers. It's an impressive list.

Washington Post, not Baltimore Sun.

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Justice wrote for the Sun for two years before he worked at the Post.   

I did not know that but enjoyed all of the WaPo reporters back in the day - in addition, TK (who went to college where I did in upstate NY), Wilbon, Tom Friend (a young kid who I played tennis  with in the '70's), etc.  You all make good points about how they have their connections still.

10 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

Not just "have ties," they were featured baseball reporters who worked at The Sun.

You can add Richard Justice to that list of former Sun baseball writers. It's an impressive list.

It's sad that the Sun died as it did. 

14 hours ago, baltfan said:

There is a simple answer to this.  Almost all of the National guys came through Baltimore and still have strong ties here.  Rosenthal, Olney, and Kurkjian all worked in Baltimore. Those deep ties plus the ties they have with other teams and agents based on being national guys gives them an advantage. 

Thanks for posting this, exactly correct. Some of the biggest baseball writers have close ties to Baltimore - and those guys are constantly plugged in 24/7. 

Roch broke the Machado trade. Gotta give him credit there. But, the local sports writers aren't paid enough to be constantly on the Hot Stove Hunt like the national writers are. And, I'm assuming here - but, Rosenthal, Olney, and Kurkjian probably have staffs or assistants who help them out, too.

The point about the large number of folks with ties to the Orioles is a good one.  What I find interesting is that they still get information even though the folks in charge are all different.  Think about that for a minute.  If these guys are still "connected" it's either that they now know everyone, or someone from back in the day is still connected and very leaky.

I think there are some folks around the warehouse who still have contacts, but I have to believe the national guys are getting info from Buck or Dan.  And those connections were not made with Orioles.

Archived