This is one of the worst teams ever

Canson80

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, SteveA said:

This team has much better starting pitching.

1988 has better hitting at most positions.

The 88 team didn't score many runs.   Even with two hall of gamers in their prime and decent seasons from Fred Lynn,  Tettleton and Orsulak;  the rest of the team was so awful that it brought everything down.   Sheets and Billy Ripken were absolutely terrible.   

They had Bordick who is better than any pitcher we have now.   McGregor was their Tillman. 

Just in terms of looking at the rosters, I think the 88 team was not nearly as guilty of underachieving as the 18 team.  This team should not be on pace for 49-113.  That is just ridiculous.  70-92, okay.  But 49-113????   The San Diego Padres are on pace to go 74-88.  And I do not believe that the Padres' roster is 25 wins better than ours.  I don't care about the division they play in.  So to answer the original question, no the 18 roster is better than the 88 roster....even with Ripken and Murray. 

Sadly, I think if our team this year had its full healthy roster and were managed better (Not playing Chris Davis all the time), we could have more wins. Consider if you were given this roster to manage. How would you change it up to get more out of your players? I sometimes wonder if Buck and Dan are sabotaging the team because their status is up in the air.

17 hours ago, atomic said:

The 88 team didn't score many runs.   Even with two hall of gamers in their prime and decent seasons from Fred Lynn,  Tettleton and Orsulak;  the rest of the team was so awful that it brought everything down.   Sheets and Billy Ripken were absolutely terrible.   

They had Bordick who is better than any pitcher we have now.   McGregor was their Tillman. 

Bordick? :)

The 88 team didn't have Chris Davis

8 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Sadly, I think if our team this year had its full healthy roster and were managed better (Not playing Chris Davis all the time), we could have more wins. Consider if you were given this roster to manage. How would you change it up to get more out of your players? I sometimes wonder if Buck and Dan are sabotaging the team because their status is up in the air.

No they aren't. IMO 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, Malike said:

We should make more threads about this !!! I don't think it gets enough attention on the board.

o

This is his 4th.

If he makes 5 more, all of us can repeatedly chant, ) Number 9 ........ Number 9 ........ Number 9 ........ 

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/topic/32150-does-the-88-team-have-a-better-roster-than-18/

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/topic/32241-safe-to-say-the-88-team-was-better/

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/topic/32348-the-1988-team-had-more-talent/

o

30 minutes ago, Malike said:

We should make more threads about this! I don't think it gets enough attention on the board.

Sure it's a terrible team. We all know it. But what can be done by talking about it? I'm hoping with John as the owner things will turn around for the organization. 

Archived