This is one of the worst teams ever

Canson80

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

My apologies to all

You don’t need to apologize.   Some teams use the GM title, and some don’t, but in everyday parlance, Duquette is our GM whether he holds that title or not.   

By the way, from what I see on the Phillies site, Andy MacPhail is the team president, period.    Not the president of baseball operations.   So, he oversees not only Klentak, but all the non-baseball operations as well.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Frobby said:

You don’t need to apologize.   Some teams use the GM title, and some don’t, but in everyday parlance, Duquette is our GM whether he holds that title or not.   

By the way, from what I see on the Phillies site, Andy MacPhail is the team president, period.    Not the president of baseball operations.   So, he oversees not only Klentak, but all the non-baseball operations as well.

Sounds like the role Dan was offered with the Jays.

Just now, Frobby said:

So whose handprints are on the player roster decisions for the Phillies?

I thought Andy was named interim GM, when they fired Reuben the clown, and then when Andy hired Gabe, he stepped down to President of Operations, at least, I thought he had.

13 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

So whose handprints are on the player roster decisions for the Phillies?

I thought Andy was named interim GM, when they fired Reuben the clown, and then when Andy hired Gabe, he stepped down to President of Operations, at least, I thought he had.

I believe that it is Matt Klentak, for the most part.  He makes the choices in concert with top staff, runs it by Andy for $$$, if necessary, but it's his handiwork at this point.  He's a sharp guy that learned the ropes in the Oriole organization.  Roch has a piece on the Machado future earlier and this paragraph describes the Phillies organization in a nutshell.  Lots of moving parts.

"The Phillies are expected to make a spirited run at Machado, whether it’s to sign or re-sign him. They’re poised to spend big and the organization is littered with former Oriole employees, the roll call including president Andy MacPhail, general manager Matt Klentak, assistants Ned Rice and Scott Proefrock, senior advisor Pat Gillick, director of player development Joe Jordan and pitching coach Rick Kranitz.

“I don’t know about good relationship, but I know them, of course,” Machado said. “We go way back. Joe was one of the guys who drafted me. Andy was there when I signed, as well. I kind of have a decent relationship with them.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/07/more-machado-before-tonights-all-star-game.html

3 minutes ago, bobmc said:

I believe that it is Matt Klentak, for the most part.  He makes the choices in concert with top staff, runs it by Andy for $$$, if necessary, but it's his handiwork at this point.  He's a sharp guy that learned the ropes in the Oriole organization.  Roch has a piece on the Machado future earlier and this paragraph describes the Phillies organization in a nutshell.  Lots of moving parts.

"The Phillies are expected to make a spirited run at Machado, whether it’s to sign or re-sign him. They’re poised to spend big and the organization is littered with former Oriole employees, the roll call including president Andy MacPhail, general manager Matt Klentak, assistants Ned Rice and Scott Proefrock, senior advisor Pat Gillick, director of player development Joe Jordan and pitching coach Rick Kranitz.

“I don’t know about good relationship, but I know them, of course,” Machado said. “We go way back. Joe was one of the guys who drafted me. Andy was there when I signed, as well. I kind of have a decent relationship with them.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/07/more-machado-before-tonights-all-star-game.html

Thanks, so Andy should get some kudos, but it sounds like Klentak is in the driver's seat.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Your a little late with that observation.

But, I also think we settled it, that Matt is the one with handprints on this team and making the decisions

Yes, I read the thread and deleted my comment before your reply. 

44 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Thanks, so Andy should get some kudos, but it sounds like Klentak is in the driver's seat.

I think it is like how the Dodgers are setup. Friedman is President, similar to McPhail's role. Zaidi is GM for the Dodgers, like Klentak's role with the Phillies.

27 minutes ago, theocean said:

I think it is like how the Dodgers are setup. Friedman is President, similar to McPhail's role. Zaidi is GM for the Dodgers, like Klentak's role with the Phillies.

The Cubs are similar, with Theo Epstein the President of Baseball Operations and Jed Hoyer the Executive Vice President & GM.

But note both Friedman and Epstein are Presidents of Baseball Operations, not overall team President.   The President & CEO of the Dodgers is Stan Kasten.   The Cubs don’t have a team President, but they have a President of Business Operations, which is a title equal to Theo’s.   So, I’d say Andy’s job is more analogous to Stan Kasten’s than to Theo’s or Friedman’s.

In the entire history of major league baseball (even pre-dating capitalization), only five teams have lost 115 or more games. Three of them are infamous — the 119-loss 2003 Tigers, the 120-loss 1962 Mets, and the 134-loss 1899 Cleveland Spiders. One of the other two was intentional. Refusing to acquiesce to salary demands stoked by the creation of the short-lived Federal League, Philadelphia Athletics manager and co-owner Connie Mack disassembled his first dynasty, resulting in the team shedding 53 wins in 1915 and losing a franchise-record 117 games in 1916. The 1935 Boston Braves, who lack both infamy and a compelling narrative, lost 115.

The regular season was eight games shorter prior to 1961. As a result, those 1916 Athletics hold the record for the lowest winning percentage (.235) since the start of the twentieth century. The Orioles’ current .288 mark would rank a mere 16th on that list. Of course, that’s the 16th-worst out of 2,504 team seasons since 1900, putting the Orioles in the top 0.6 percent of bad teams in the last 119 years.

Sub-.300 winning percentages are close to extinction in Major League Baseball. In the 55 years between the 1962 Mets and this year’s Orioles, just one team, the ’03 Tigers, sank below a .300. That context makes the Orioles’ performance thus far all the more remarkable. Consider this list of the worst teams since 1943 according to winning percentage (active teams in italics):

Lowest winning percentage since 1943

Team Year W L Pct.
Mets 1962 40 120 .250
Tigers 2003 43 119 .265
Pirates 1952 42 112 .273
Orioles 2018 38 94 .288
Phillies 1945 46 108 .299
Phillies 1961 47 107 .305
Royals 2018 40 91 .305
Mets 1965 50 112 .309
Mets 1963 51 111 .315
Diamondbacks 2004 51 111 .315
Astros 2013 51 111 .315

The Athletic - https://theathletic.com/493486/2018/08/28/how-do-the-2018-orioles-stack-up-against-the-worst-teams-in-history/

20 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I think and hope, the 1962 Expansion Mets will continue to hold onto the title of worse baseball team ever.

Well, the O’s have already won 40 games, same as the expansion Mets, so that record is safe.    

However, before calling the Mets the worst team ever, you might want to consider the 1899 Cleveland Spiders, who went 20-134.    The cutoff for the “modern era” is usually considered 1900, so they’re usually excluded from the conversation about the worst team, but they were WAY worse than the Mets...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1899_Cleveland_Spiders_season

Archived