Cobb & Cashner Clear Waivers

Greg Pappas

If I were GM of a contender with a reasonable chance of getting to the WS, I'd trade for Cobb. And I wouldn't demand salary relief either. Probably wouldn't cost my club very much in the way of minor leaguers, calculating that the Orioles would prefer not to spend the millions remaining on his contract.

I doubt Cobb would block a trade.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, baltfan said:

I wouldn’t trade Cobb.  I think he is finding himself and will be worth more at deadline next year. 

Ditto. I like the Cobb signing. He might actually outperform his contract, for once. 

I guess the upside is saving even more money, but, like you, I'd rather hold and try again next deadline. 

1 hour ago, Yardball85 said:

First off, why would they trade Cobb AND international signing money?  The Orioles payroll will be pretty low next year all things considered, so I wouldn't trade a veteran innings eater who is just coming into his own just to move slot money.  Second, why wouldnt they be interested in VVM?

I think they would love to lose his salary. They have built up a lot of international signing money. Even more than they can probably use for V2. They may be willing to part with some. If they are so so on V2, then they could even part with a lot of it. If they are going to try to sign him, then you don’t want to give cash to the competition. 

38 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

If I were GM of a contender with a reasonable chance of getting to the WS, I'd trade for Cobb. And I wouldn't demand salary relief either. Probably wouldn't cost my club very much in the way of minor leaguers, calculating that the Orioles would prefer not to spend the millions remaining on his contract.

I doubt Cobb would block a trade.

Cobb is worth what he’s getting paid IMO.    He got off to a poor start that doomed him to a below average season, but over the four years he will justify his contract (though he won’t be worth paying on a last place club).   Despite his poor start, Fangraphs pegs him as having been worth $12.2 mm so far this season, with a month to play and with Cobb doing his best pitching of the season.   

It is going to be a long run of dark seasons for the next three at least...our pitching as almost everything else is horrible and there are virtually no quality arms at all on this squad.  I would be working through the pitchers in our system pretty quickly over the next few years and I would be getting rid now or this offseason Bundy, Givens, Castro, Cashner, Cobb and whomever else is not a rookie currently pitching on this team.  We are also going to have to disproportionately draft pitchers for at least the next two years to even have a shot starting in 2022.And the entire pitching development staff- both minors and majors need to be purged.   Our rebuild is going to have to be a gutting to the absolute bare structure with maximum flexibility as the goal for the next three seasons.... Or we are going to be a last place team for another decade or more.   Yes, I understand keeping Cobb serves some quasi stabilizing function, but I would only do it to up his trade value and ONLY if I mustfor 2019, but if I could move him right now I would.   Harvey and Sedlock both being total busts so far has just killed us for the coming dark spell. 

1 hour ago, pdiddy said:

They don’t need to give either away and certainly not right now and sure as hell don’t need to add anything. If someone wants them then they’ll have the sense of urgency to make the deal.

Otherwise wait for the larger market or let them both pitch next year. Cobb is going to be very good imo and we either have a couple of guys to help bring the kids along while not sucking or trade pieces next deadline.

The Money though. They have to pay those men their money. 

1 hour ago, Beef Supreme said:

Is this from the book, The Infinitely Gargantuan Book of Hyperbole, weams? Pretty sure the franchise can pay the remainder of Cobb's and Cashner's salaries and "stay in business." Almost certainly, the franchise will reap big profits over the next three seasons.

That would shock me! Even if they are winners that third year! Infinite rebuilds. 

39 minutes ago, tntoriole said:
We are also going to have to disproportionately draft pitchers for at least the next two years to even have a shot starting in 2022.

We have disproportionately been drafting pitchers for years, especially the last two, and in my opinion it’s a horrible idea to continue that.   

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We have disproportionately been drafting pitchers for years, especially the last two, and in my opinion it’s a horrible idea to continue that.   

Not if we turnover our scouting director, our draft pickers and our pitching developmemtal staff.   No pitcher in this organization currently will be a starting pitcher on our next competitive team, imho.   When you pick badly, don’t play internationally and have poor minor league development then you get these results.  But that doesn’t mean that pitching won’t still be the dominant core of any winner and we still are going to have to either grow it or buy it.   It will be a horrible idea if we stand pat, management wise, I definitely agree. 

9 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Not if we turnover our scouting director, our draft pickers and our pitching developmemtal staff.   No pitcher in this organization currently will be a starting pitcher on our next competitive team, imho.   When you pick badly, don’t play internationally and have poor minor league development then you get these results.  But that doesn’t mean that pitching won’t still be the dominant core of any winner and we still are going to have to either grow it or buy it.   It will be a horrible idea if we stand pat, management wise, I definitely agree. 

I don’t agree with your assessment of the pitchers in our system.   But also, I just think it’s a lousy philosophy.  

I think the Gausman trade signaled that the O's are willing to trade any player making money.   I think Cobb will be traded now or in the off season.   I don't  think  they would  send money with him but they could package him with someone like  Trumbo this off season.    It would not surprise me if he is traded in the next few days to a contender for next to nothing if they can unload the contract.  I'd rather see them hold out through the winter to get a good prospect in return.

Cashner is not pitching well enough to attractive much attention from a contender.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I think the Gausman trade signaled that the O's are willing to trade any player making money.   I think Cobb will be traded now or in the off season.   I don't  think  they would  send money with him but they could package him with someone like  Trumbo this off season.    It would not surprise me if he is traded in the next few days to a contender for next to nothing if they can unload the contract.  I'd rather see them hold out through the winter to get a good prospect in return.

Cashner is not pitching well enough to attractive much attention from a contender.

Packaging Trumbo with Cobb would reduce Cobb's value.

Archived