What is the first thing you want the O's to do this off season?

wildcard

48 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

I would keep DD. My biggest fear is they let everyone go and the job goes to Brady by default. With the reputation about Ownership, it might be hard to get a viable option.

IMO, that would be a huge mistake. DD is the leader of this sinking (sunken) ship, and he is the first one that has to go. I also do not believe that we cannot hire a viable replacement. There are very few GM jobs in baseball, and a lot of talented young people chomping at the bit for their shot at the job. Gotta turn the page.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, theobird said:

IMO, that would be a huge mistake. DD is the leader of this sinking (sunken) ship, and he is the first one that has to go. I also do not believe that we cannot hire a viable replacement. There are very few GM jobs in baseball, and a lot of talented young people chomping at the bit for their shot at the job. Gotta turn the page.

When DD was hired, if I recall correctly, 2 others withdrew. There might be a limited amount of GM jobs but the Rep of the Orioles being a bad place to work will not be easily overcome. Just my outlook.

18 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Yes, he'd be an excellent candidate. A former graduate of the University of Maryland, he was raised in Baltimore and he grew up an O's fan.

Here's a nice write up about him from AZCentral.com in March of 2017: 

I literally just emailed this to John Angelos.  Lol

Jason McLeod of the Cubs and Jared Porter of the D-Backs are the other two that I'm especially high on. JJ Piccolo of the Royals would be a distant fourth choice, behind McLeod, Porter and Sawdaye. I'm pretty torn over which of those three I favor the most, but I'd be elated to get any of them.

On 9/8/2018 at 8:21 AM, Obando said:

You are probably right that, at this point, they will just wait to make any announcements until the season is over.  Since Buck & Dan’s contracts both expire at the end of October, they will probably just let them run out or announce extensions for one or both of them.  If they keep only one, I hope it’s  DD instead of Buck.  It would be insanity to keep them both, and I don’t think they will.  I love what Buck did for this organization early on, but his act has worn thin, and at this point, he’s doing more damage than good by sticking around.  At least with DD, it would allow him free reign to hire his own manager and oversee the rebuild in his vision (assuming no interference by John & Lou, unlike Peter).  But I, like you, would also be fine with them letting DD go and hiring a new GM, preferably a young, up and coming guy that operates like a modern GM does, with a strong background in analytics and good communication skills.  My personal vote would go to Amiel Sawdaye of the Diamondbacks (and formerly Red Sox), but I think they should cast a wide net if they decide to start fresh at GM.

I'd rather them keep DD and let Buck go if they decide to one of them but like I wouldn't mind a fresh start at GM. He has to be able to hire his own manager. 

On 9/8/2018 at 9:45 AM, Greg Pappas said:

Yes, he'd be an excellent candidate. A former graduate of the University of Maryland, he was raised in Baltimore and he grew up an O's fan.

Here's a nice write up about him from AZCentral.com in March of 2017: 

The fact that he was raised in Baltimore and is a UMD grad means he might seriously consider the O's GM job.  As the O's and fans found out last time, O's GM job is not as highly sought after as you would think.  Brady's position in the organization needs to be defined and he either needs to report to the GM or be let go.  No more meddling in anything he wants and accountable to no one. 

13 hours ago, theobird said:

Are you factoring in that he didn't have control of the worst decisions made by the O's while he was here - particularly the Davis contract?

To begin with, I'd let the entire coaching staff go. The real trick will be to find a strategic manager that knows how to develop talent, instill fundamentals, and one whom the players will respect, a hitting coach that can use all the player's tools to score runs, and pitching coach that can turn our pitchers into strike throwing, Cy Young candidates before we trade them away for nothing.

Apologize to the fans for putting forth a lackluster product for the last 2 years. Continue the message from the trade deadline of rebuilding, reinvesting in the development process/scouting and jumping in fully with the international market. Mention how great the O's from 2012-2016 were and that with the right management, process and investment, those days can come back. Recognize the efforts of Dan Duquette. Let the fanbase know that the team will be going in a new direction with the General Manager position.

I think the key to getting someone like Amiel Sawdaye to take the GM job here is John & Lou convincing him that they don’t run the organization like their father did.  I don’t think Amiel would ever come here if he had to work for Peter.  But based on everything I’m reading and hearing about John & Lou and how they operate, I like our chances a whole lot better, as they seem to “get it” and are much more in tune with how a modern baseball organization needs to function in order to be successful.  Unfortunately for them, people just assume that they will run things the same way as their father, but I sincerely don’t think they will.  And for that reason, I actually have hope for the future of this team, unlike if Peter were still running the show.  Let’s just wait and see how this all plays out.  I think things will start to get interesting, and we’ll get a real idea of what is to come once the season concludes.

8 hours ago, Obando said:

I think the key to getting someone like Amiel Sawdaye to take the GM job here is John & Lou convincing him that they don’t run the organization like their father did.  I don’t think Amiel would ever come here if he had to work for Peter.  But based on everything I’m reading and hearing about John & Lou and how they operate, I like our chances a whole lot better, as they seem to “get it” and are much more in tune with how a modern baseball organization needs to function in order to be successful.  Unfortunately for them, people just assume that they will run things the same way as their father, but I sincerely don’t think they will.  And for that reason, I actually have hope for the future of this team, unlike if Peter were still running the show.  Let’s just wait and see how this all plays out.  I think things will start to get interesting, and we’ll get a real idea of what is to come once the season concludes.

I think any non-gm that has aspirations would take the job regardless. There are thirty. Peter is not the managing general partner. 

Archived