Joseph for the second time calls out the team

Going Underground

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

If I am running the Baltimore Sun sports department or another local writer an autopsy of the season is a must write. 

We have had plenty of articles describing the issues inside the organization but this season and really going back to Sept 2017 needs to be examined closely. Something other than lack of talent has caused this debacle of a season. Yes they are bad but the entire culture has been shredded almost overnight. Even last year until Labor Day this flawed team found a way to hang around.  

I'd like to agree, but its a lack of talent.  It's a poorly constructed roster with multiple 1B/DH types that don't allow for flexibility, that's a part of it, too.  It's a team with no OBP skills.  Mediocre pitching at best.  In previous years the starters were decent but we had a great bullpen and now the bullpen isn't that great.

The offseason wasn't great but nothing this past offseason could have saved this team from last place.  

Buck's message and leadership has worn out, etc.

If the Sun did an autopsy of this season going back to last offseason, I don't think you'd get any new information that you didn't find here on the OH or other sources.  When you're completely out of it by June 1, yeah, culture is going to get shredded no matter how good previous teams were.  

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Went, where he was directed and help neogiate players that he was told to go after.

So why can you fault him?

He also got Cobb and Cashner here, both was two of the top 5 FA available, according to MLBTR.

So it was Brady who told Peter to outbit himself for CD?

In the comments section today of his Athletic article Dan Connolly said that “the signing was orchestrated by ownership to keep a popular player in town. It was above everyone’s pay grade.”

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd like to agree, but its a lack of talent.  It's a poorly constructed roster with multiple 1B/DH types that don't allow for flexibility, that's a part of it, too.  It's a team with no OBP skills.  Mediocre pitching at best.  In previous years the starters were decent but we had a great bullpen and now the bullpen isn't that great.

The offseason wasn't great but nothing this past offseason could have saved this team from last place.  

If the Sun did an autopsy of this season going back to last offseason, I don't think you'd get any new information that you didn't find here on the OH or other sources.  When you're completely out of it by June 1, yeah, culture is going to get shredded no matter how good previous teams were.  

Losing brings out the warts and all.Hearing while the Orioles where winning,how well everyone got along.Everyone truly likes each other.They all sat around the campfire toasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya 

15 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

These young players should be hungry and they should ultra motivated to show they belong here, but besides Mullins, who has stepped up and showed they belonged? 

There is a severe lack of MLB ready talent in the farm system.  It doesn’t help that prospects considered being close to ready like Sisco and Hays took a step back this year.  

Right now it looks like a 5 year turnaround is a good case scenario.  Player development needs a complete overhaul.  (Cue captain obvious)

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

We had some sorry teams here during the 14 years of losing. None of them were possible WC contenders before a season started. This team is setting franchise records. 

I agree it lacks talent but I have little doubt all the circumstances surrounding this season added to it. The wheels came off all it once. This wasn’t a slow death it was immediate. 

The "young players" brought up consist entirely of Mullins and a bunch of fringy pitchers.  Mullins has been pretty good.  The pitchers have generally sucked.  Given the poor seasons put up by Cobb, Cashner and Bundy, and the usual mediocre start to the season by Gausman, the final results this year are no huge surprise.

My take away is that they need clear direction from whoever the Angelos family chooses to run the organization.  Buck and his staff have to go.  It's a shame because I like Dickerson and Mills, but, oh well.  Chris Davis has to be cut loose.  They can't bring back Jones.  They need to get rid of Trumbo by the trade deadline so that they have room for some of Hays, Diaz, McKenna in the outfield.  And they need to give Mountcastle a first baseman's mitt or outfielder's glove.  That would be his fastest path to the majors.

4 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Losing brings out the warts and all.Hearing while the Orioles where winning,how well everyone got along.Everyone truly likes each other.They all sat around the campfire toasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya 

We have been hearing talk for years about the Buck and Dan relationship. 

It is pretty impressive and at the same time frustrating concerning  the lack of cohesion in this organization and for almost 6 years they put a competitive product on the field. 

11 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

There is a severe lack of MLB ready talent in the farm system.  It doesn’t help that prospects considered being close to ready like Sisco and Hays took a step back this year.  

Right now it looks like a 5 year turnaround is a good case scenario.  Player development needs a complete overhaul.  (Cue captain obvious)

Player development needs more talent to work with. Drafting later in rounds -due to winning and trading away young assets and draft picks and no investment Internationally dries up talent. Can only do so much. 

I have no idea how good are MiL instructors are or not. I just know we can’t have the depth of talent other teams have. 

39 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

In the Athletic article he calls it an “open tryout team” and doesn’t feel it should be that way next year. 

“There’s a number of aspects that have to get back to what this organization is known for to then begin to start hoping again,” Joseph said. “There are certain elements that this club, when going well, was known for. Good solid defense, a never-give-up attitude, hustle approach. It may not be flashy, but it’s gritty, it embraces the type of style I think the city is. Very blue-collar mentality, and I’m not seeing a lot of that. If you can get those elements back, where you are playing good, clean, solid baseball games, yeah, maybe start the hope.

“You ride this thing out, but major league opportunities are very hard to come by. I don’t feel like this should be an open tryout team next year. It feels like an open tryout team right now. At some point, jobs need to be grabbed and taken a hold of, because the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.”

26 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

And no Brady please He worked with Davis.Worked with Yacobonis. Helped sign some pitchers and offensive players that have flopped 

Don't look now, but Cobb is up to 1.3 rWAR for the season and has a second half line of:

3-3; 2.56 ERA; 0.665 OPS; 1.156 WHIP

Further, his opponent OPS has gone down every single month over the course of the year (started dreadfully).

By month:

It's still not good that he started so poorly, but his performance as the season has gone on suggests that there may be some credence to the late signing issue.

I get people criticizing Joseph's performance, but there's nothing out of the ordinary from his usual track record on display.  He can do some things offensively from time to time, but you already know he's not much of a hitter the majority of the time.

What I don't get is people criticizing him for speaking up and calling attention to the fact that next to nobody on the team has publicly spoken up and spoken the truth that this season is an unmitigated disaster and the guys should be ashamed of themselves.  Just the fact that somebody, anybody, in any capacity is showing emotion and pissed off about this dumpster fire of a season is something that should be celebrated and is frankly long overdue.  We deserve an explanation, we deserve accountability, and we deserve honesty.   

Just now, ShaneDawg85 said:

I get people criticizing Joseph's performance, but there's nothing out of the ordinary from his usual track record on display.  He can do some things offensively from time to time, but you already know he's not much of a hitter the majority of the time.

What I don't get is people criticizing him for speaking up and calling attention to the fact that next to nobody on the team has publicly spoken up and spoken the truth that this season is an unmitigated disaster and the guys should be ashamed of themselves.  Just the fact that somebody, anybody, in any capacity is showing emotion and pissed off about this dumpster fire of a season is something that should be celebrated and is frankly long overdue.  We deserve an explanation, we deserve accountability, and we deserve honesty.   

As others have said, I don’t think anyone is criticizing him.    It’s just a matter of whether his words carry any weight.    Frankly, I’m glad he spoke his mind, though it’s not going to make a lot of difference with less than two weeks remaining.   

Archived