Joseph for the second time calls out the team

Going Underground

38 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

We had some sorry teams here during the 14 years of losing. None of them were possible WC contenders before a season started. This team is setting franchise records. 

I agree it lacks talent but I have little doubt all the circumstances surrounding this season added to it. The wheels came off all it once. This wasn’t a slow death it was immediate. 

No, it was slow, people just chose to ignore it.  

This team didn't have a winning record in any month in 2017 after a blistering hot start in April except for August.  They went 7-20 in September to cap the season.

Meanwhile, the FO tried to trick everyone into thinking it was a playoff contender during the season when we got Hellickson and Beckham, as if those were needle moving transactions.

The offseason wasn't much to write about.  Cashner was an eye-roll of a move, Cobb was pretty good.  But no move was highly significant.  So what'd people expect from a team that won 75 games last year with an aging roster? 

I think you're looking for some GOTCHA moment or something to cling to in order for you to feel better about how this season played out but you won't find anything.  All you've gotta do is look back at what happened in 2017 for this season to make sense.  No one could have predicted this team would be stretching to win 45 games but I can't believe anyone thought this would be a .500 or better team based off how last year played out and the moves that followed.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Moose Milligan said:

No, it was slow, people just chose to ignore it.  

This team didn't have a winning record in any month in 2017 after a blistering hot start in April.  They went 7-20 in September to cap the season.

Meanwhile, the FO tried to trick everyone into thinking it was a playoff contender when we got Hellickson and Beckham, as if those were needle moving transactions.

The offseason wasn't much to write about.  Cashner was an eye-roll of a move, Cobb was pretty good.  But no move was highly significant.  So what'd people expect from a team that won 75 games last year with an aging roster? 

I think you're looking for some GOTCHA moment or something to cling to in order for you to feel better about how this season played out but you won't find anything.  All you've gotta do is look back at what happened in 2017 for this season to make sense.  No one could have predicted this team would be stretching to win 45 games but I can't believe anyone thought this would be a .500 or better team based off how last year played out and the moves that followed.

They were 17-12 in August. They were 10 games under .500 combined from May-July.  

We are setting franchise records in futility. You could see this coming but not at this rate. This team basically quit once they knew they were done. 

At the end of the day what happened, happened. 

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

In the comments section today of his Athletic article Dan Connolly said that “the signing was orchestrated by ownership to keep a popular player in town. It was above everyone’s pay grade.”

Eh, would have been way cheaper to just extend Jones. I wasn't that thrilled Davis was given a long-term deal. 

14 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

They were 17-12 in August. They were 10 games under .500 combined from May-July.  

We are setting franchise records in futility. You could see this coming but not at this rate. This team basically quit once they knew they were done. 

At the end of the day what happened, happened. 

I'll argue that they needed a year this bad to smack them in the face.  If this team won 73 games this year, I think they'd still be dicking around and trying to figure out how to make us think they could have won 83 and been in the playoff hunt till the final weeks.

While this year sucked, in the end I'm partially glad it happened because it left absolutely no doubt about what this franchise needs to do.

1 minute ago, Dark Helmet said:

Caleb knows the game. Remember the double play at 3B? Caleb knew the rule yet the umpires had to talk it over. And what manager is good without good players?

You know the game. Why has Caleb been unable to influence any of this change he has gone public with? 

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'll argue that they needed a year this bad to smack them in the face.  If this team won 73 games this year, I think they'd still be dicking around and trying to figure out how to make us think they could have won 83 and been in the playoff hunt till the final weeks.

While this year sucked, in the end I'm partially glad it happened because it left absolutely no doubt about what this franchise needs to do.

Better to be super bad than regular bad.  There is no dressing up this turkey.  

1 minute ago, Dark Helmet said:

Why hasn't Buck? He's labeled as a good manager.

Do people’s voices get old? Good managers lose influence it seems, Clev got a very good manager who lost his influence in Boston. Buck was our manager through our best days, he made an immediate difference, Dan continued to bring in bums and we were forced to play guys like....Caleb Joseph. Our defense is something like -108 in runs saved, not long ago we set a record for least errors in mlb history, I believe. Dan gave Buck 7 DH’s who can’t hit and a bullpen that can’t pitch. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Right, but he also insinuated that they may be taking these opportunities for granted a bit. Like he said, it's ok to be "just happy to be here" for a day or two, but then it's time to get hungry and show MLB you can be a major league player. 

I wish a lot of the O's vets would show they are major league players.

41 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That’s fine and I don’t disagree. 

I just think this thing went way off the rails.  

Archived