Good Riddance

Rich Mac

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I've thought before that the Orioles hit rock bottom and was wrong.  I'm hoping that this really is rock bottom.  Can't imagine how it could be worse.  But I sometimes think the Orioles exist strictly to show that it can always get worse.

They name Brady GM.

They go into the winter meetings without a GM.

2 hours ago, Rich Mac said:

To this mess of a season. 

I suppose things could somehow always get worse, but I hope this is rock bottom and we start crawling our way up from here. I just hope it doesn't take a decade, I'm getting too old to wait that long for success again.

Rock bottom to me was when 2005 collapsed, Palmiero was suspended and Ponson punched a judge.

While the record this year sucked, they fielded a team of respectable people who meant a lot to this town. Things have been worse.

Things will get better. The Angelos sons seem like they get it. 

4 minutes ago, theocean said:

Rock bottom to me was when 2005 collapsed, Palmiero was suspended and Ponson punched a judge.

While the record this year sucked, they fielded a team of respectable people who meant a lot to this town. Things have been worse.

Things will get better. The Angelos sons seem like they get it. 

I agree...I meant rock bottom for "this time".

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

So you're saying they name Brady a GM, effectively going into the winter meetings without one?  I hear ya.

A word on timing.

The Orioles need to have a GM (apart from what that person's title is) by the winter meetings. There was a post a while back about MLB inquiring about who's in charge of the Orioles, but saying or at least implying there was no urgency, and I think that's also geared to make sure a single authorized representative (presumably John or Lou Angelos), who can speak for the team, is designated by then.

But the decision whether to offer Duquette a new contract should have been made weeks, if not months, ago. And if he's not coming back, the search for a new GM should have begun long ago. That process should be completed and a new GM hired in the next month. If it's an outsider -- and I've seen nothing to suggest that there is a qualified successor to Duquette inside the Oriole organization -- that person will have a lot of work to be done in becoming familiar with the organization, the other front-office personnel and hiring needs, the coaching staff, minor-league managers, coaches and instructors, international free agents the Orioles are pursuing (if any), the financial constraints that will govern the team, etc. Having a newcomer walk into the GM job right before the winter meetings seems like a real bad idea. 

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

So you're saying they name Brady a GM, effectively going into the winter meetings without one?  I hear ya.

Not so fast. Brady would immediately be in serious contention to win the GM push-up contest and the five-mile run at the winter meetings. He also would bring some valuable suggestions for the lunch menus.

Archived