Ex-Orioles in the postseason

Moose Milligan

Dan Connolly talks to another of @Moose Milligan's heros, the inimitable, Bobby Dickerson

Through the years, Dickerson has had pointed conversations with Machado after “Manny incidents” have occurred. The talks often focused on how Machado wants to be remembered.

“I’ve always tried to challenge him with what does he want his legacy to be. That’s how I tried to talk to him. Sometimes it worked, and sometimes it didn’t work. But, ultimately, I just tried to challenge him,” Dickerson said. “I definitely didn’t try to boss him. I tried to challenge him and say, ‘Hey, how do you want this to look when your career is over? What do you want it to be like?’”

Dickerson didn’t take exception with Yelich’s comments about Machado being a dirty player. He understands that could be the perception, but that’s not how Dickerson views him.

“I don’t think he is intentionally doing things like that. I think sometimes, maybe, he screws up,” Dickerson said. “I don’t think anything he does is malicious. I know him personally. He’s been really good to me and good to my family and my son. He’s a good guy. He’s got a good heart. He’s all these things if you know him personally. A lot of people will never get to know who the guy is, who the man is. They just know who Swaggy Machado is.”

I’ve never been around such an easy, talented guy. It’s easy for him. And baseball is hard. It’s a hard-ass game. And there were times I would be just so mad at Manny, watching him not pay attention for a pitch or something,” Dickerson said. “And then he would dive and make a great play to save the game, and I’d say, ‘Wow. That just shows you right there this guy is at another level.’

“It’s one of those things where you don’t condone it. I just think it’s a pick-your-battles type thing. It is what it is. This is the person. He’s a really great talent. He’s going to do well. I don’t really think there is going to be a change in how he plays the game,” Dickerson continued. “He’s gonna play swaggy. Look at Big Papi; look at the way he played. He played swaggy. How many groundouts did he have where he didn’t run to first in his career?”

“I’m not gonna tell you that every teammate always accepts it. I think teammates are constantly wanting their teammates to hustle. But I do think that when the production is there, and he is bringing what he brings, guys put up with more,” Dickerson said.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

So, what all has he done now? He grabbed the leg of the guy turning a double play while sliding into second base twice, didn't hustle on a play that he may have beaten out if he did and intentionally kicked the first baseman's leg when running past him. Sounds pretty dirty to me and the lack of hustle is something we saw plenty of when he was here. He comes out publicly and flat out says he doesn't hustle and isn't going to start hustling more (the new Manny being Manny), so what precedent is that going to set when he (likely) gets the biggest contract of the offseason?

Also, Machado saying he was "trying to step over" Aguilar's foot when he kicked him sounds a lot like Roger Clemens not being able to tell the difference between the barrel of a broken bat and a baseball and forgot that he wasn't supposed to throw the ball at the runner after fielding it. Machado dragged his foot on the ground (presumably to slow the momentum of his leg so he didn't kick Aguilar too hard) and deliberately kicked him. It's not throwing a bat, but he intentionally kicked a guy when it could have easily been avoided. How do you try to "step over" him by dragging your foot on the ground right into his ankle? He's lying right to people's faces about something completely obvious to everyone else. It's a classic "don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining" situation IMO.

I never cared much for Manny's attitude and he has really let it all out this postseason. Meh, I'm glad he's gone. I only wish we would have dealt him a year or so earlier. BTW, a 10 grand suspension is a joke. MLB might as well have fined him $1. What message is a $10,000 fine supposed to send to a multimillionaire about to break the bank? I am sure Manny being Manny is going to be in the headlines more and more especially after he gets paid.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

I think most people are overlooking the fact that Aguilar and Manny had issues in minor league ball.

10K is a very very minor slap on the wrist.

Way to go for MLB being such an astute authority and keeping their players in line. :(

I hadn't heard about that, what's the old beef between them? 

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

I think most people are overlooking the fact that Aguilar and Manny had issues in minor league ball.

10K is a very very minor slap on the wrist.

Way to go for MLB being such an astute authority and keeping their players in line. :(

Manny hasn't been in minor league ball for many years. If is still holding a grudge after all these years he has serious issues.  Yeah the 10k fine is a joke. You might as not even give him a fine at that amount. 

Just now, atomic said:

Manny hasn't been in minor league ball for many years. If is still holding a grudge after all these years he has serious issues.  Yeah the 10k fine is a joke. You might as not even give him a fine at that amount. 

Maybe it was the other way around. Manny said it was because of their previous history. Sounds like it was more on Aguilar.

20 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Manny didnt go into details, he told a reporter it was because of an old incident in the minors, and they talked later in the game, and they were good. He said what happens on the field, stays on the field.

Manny didn’t say anything about an old incident in the minors.   He just said the he and Aguilar talked on the field and that the two of them “go way back” to the minors. The comments are in the middle of this clip:  

47 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Manny didnt go into details, he told a reporter it was because of an old incident in the minors, and they talked later in the game, and they were good. He said what happens on the field, stays on the field.

That's not what he said. He was just saying that they've known each other a long time... so they were able to patch things up and are all good now (even though he's still lying to Aguilar's face).

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Manny didn’t say anything about an old incident in the minors.   He just said the he and Aguilar talked on the field and that the two of them “go way back” to the minors. The comments are in the middle of this clip:  

Exactly.   Rick has repeated that several times in this thread.   He even included that quote.   I think he's completely misinterpreting the quote.