Loverro: The Orioles could be sold this winter

Tony-OH

The longer this goes without some kind of announcement on Buck and DD, the more likely it becomes that the team is going up for sale.  If the are going to be put up for sale, they would want to have as few commitments as possible so new owners could make those decisions.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

I dont believe he can be a major owner in both MLB and NFL.

A NFL owner is permitted to own other sports teams. Multiple owners own multiple teams within the same market (e.g., Paul Allen - Seahawks and Blazers; Terry Pegula - Bills and Sabres). The NFL prohibits its owners from having majority ownership of another sports team outside of its home market where other sports teams play in that market. Therefore, my understanding is that Steve Bisciotti could own the Orioles. Notwithstanding that, I’ve never heard that he is interested.

20 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

A NFL owner is permitted to own other sports teams. Multiple owners own multiple teams within the same market (e.g., Paul Allen - Seahawks and Blazers; Terry Pegula - Bills and Sabres). The NFL prohibits its owners from having majority ownership of another sports team outside of its home market where other sports teams play in that market. Therefore, my understanding is that Steve Bisciotti could own the Orioles. Notwithstanding that, I’ve never heard that he is interested.

Mark Cuban tried to a baseball team, and I guess, because it was outside his market, it was not successful?

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I doubt that Washington based Nats fan Loverro knows any more about where the O's are headed than most of us.

I doubt he does either, but I wouldn’t base my belief on the fact that Loverro is a “Washington based Nats fan.”   He worked for the Baltimore Sun for 8 years and is the author three Orioles-related books: Orioles Magic, Orioles Essential, and Home of the Game: The Story of Camden Yards.

Just now, Frobby said:

I doubt he does either, but I wouldn’t base my belief on the fact that Loverro is a “Washington based Nats fan.”   He worked for the Baltimore Sun for 8 years and is the author three Orioles-related books: Orioles Magic, Orioles Essential, and Home of the Game: The Story of Camden Yards.

Let's not let logic get in the way of a good DC bashing!  

Blarrrrrgggghhh!  Anyone in DC has an axe to grind against the Orioles!

I agree that it seems like the O's are being set up to be sold. Given Peter's health, it does seem like the timing is right. 

I don't know who has the money besides Kevin Plank. There are probably numerous potential buyers out there though. I believe the Angeloses have always wanted to keep the team with Baltimore natives. It would make sense to me that they would want to sell to a party led by Cal Ripken. We'll see... 

MLB is the entity that made the MASN deal. The Lerners bought the Nationals with the complete understanding of the rights deal that is in place. if there was an under the table agreement between MLB and the Lerners before the Nationals were sold, it just makes the Angelos family case against both the Lerners and MLB that much stronger.

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He also been on 106.7 the fan since Winter 2017.

He was an editor at the Sun, government politics and crime.

Been working sports since 1992.

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Orioles Magic and Orioles Essential are written about he Orioles years before Peter Angelos.  The Story of Camden Yard is written mostly about he park, Edward Bennet William, the planing that went in to the design and how it influenced the building of other parks.  

He was an O's fan before the Nats moves to Washington.  When I have listened to him he seem like a pretty big Nats fans and takes the Nats side on issues.  I still doubt he know much more about where the O's are headed than we do.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

He also been on 106.7 the fan since Winter 2017.

He was an editor at the Sun, government politics and crime.

Been working sports since 1992.

He’s been on the radio for years, including WTEM 980 in DC for many years before he went to 106.7.    My point is he’s not just some Washington-oriented reporter who knows nothing about Baltimore or the Orioles.   He has a long history with the city and the team.   

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Orioles Magic and Orioles Essential are written about he Orioles years before Peter Angelos.  The Story of Camden Yard is written mostly about he park, Edward Bennet William, the planing that went in to the design and how it influenced the building of other parks.  

He was an O's fan before the Nats moves to Washington.  When I have listened to him he seem like a pretty big Nats fans and takes the Nats side on issues.  I still doubt he know much more about where the O's are headed than we do.

Yeah, cause he works out of the Nats market.

wildcard, take the L.  Seriously, it's ok to be wrong sometimes.

Archived