Will Givens be traded this offseason?

wildcard

I was kind of surprised by Roch this morning.   Here is what he wrote:

The Orioles wouldn’t consider trading reliever Mychal Givens at the Winter Meetings, valuing his potential as a future closer and contract status that kept him under team control through 2021. 

The O's are unlikely to be a winning team next season.  A good closer will not make them a winning team IMO.   Givens will be 29 on May 13th.   He will probably not be with the O's when they are good team again.     Givens will be in his first arbitration year next year and though he will probably not make more than 2M there is not a lot of reason to pay him on a team that isn't likely to win.    If Givens can bring back a good prospect, would you trade him this off season?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be selling low. Givens value is a little down. Plus relievers are “volitaile”, so a team might try and pick up a couple reclamation projects first, rather than trade a prospect for Givens. 

The time to trade Givens is next trade deadline. These “bullpen” games only help relievers value. I’d look to trade Givens, Bleier, and Castro next deadline. 

We need to build up our inventory of position players and SP.  Acquire more lotto tickets.  

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I was kind of surprised by Roch this morning.   Here is what he wrote:

The O's are unlikely to be a winning team next season.  A good closer will not make them a winning team IMO.   Givens will be 29 on May 13th.   He will probably not be with the O's when they are good team again.     Givens will be in his first arbitration year next year and though he will probably not make more than 2M there is not a lot of reason to pay him on a team that isn't likely to win.    If Givens can bring back a good prospect, would you trade him this off season?

Yes I would. Why not? 

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It would be selling low. Givens value is a little down. Plus relievers are “volitaile”, so a team might try and pick up a couple reclamation projects first, rather than trade a prospect for Givens. 

The time to trade Givens is next trade deadline. These “bullpen” games only help relievers value. I’d look to trade Givens, Bleier, and Castro next deadline. 

We need to build up our inventory of position players and SP.  Acquire more lotto tickets.  

Castro is will turn 24 in December.  He could be part on the O's next good team.   I don't think the O's will be trading him for years if at all if he pitches well.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Castro is will turn 24 in December.  He could be part on the O's next good team.   I don't think the O's will be trading him for years if at all if he pitches well.

He may be 24. But he will either not be here when we are good again or be on a pricey 2nd contract. The process is to start being good in 2021 and 2022. Sorry, but few players here(minus rookies) will be here then. 

7 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

I'd trade anyone if the offer is right. Fill the Farm System.

Exactly. Get all the lotto tickets we can. We need more depth at SP and position players though. Relievers most always come from being failed SPs. “Failed” is probably the wrong word because being a SP in the minors is just a way to get a guy IP. Even if he is destined for the pen. 

49 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think he gets you more this year than he would at the deadline or next offseason.  Hopefully he pitches well and shows "he can close" and that increases his value.

We'll have to some win some games for him to show much of that..

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think he gets you more this year than he would at the deadline or next offseason.  Hopefully he pitches well and shows "he can close" and that increases his value.

I see your point.  If he pitches well as a closer that would get more for him.   Good call.

Archived