O's need to a plan for SS this season

ScGO's

2 hours ago, POR said:

Are you saying you think Beckhsm is better defensively than Iglesias and Mercer or that  you think  Iglesias and Mercer will get more than $5 million?  I don't agree with either.

No I am saying Inglesias will cost more than the 5 M that Beckham will be lucky to get in arb.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I'd release and resign him for less than what he would make if we go to arbitration, but I'd teach him how to play outfield and make him super utility.  Then trade him if this pushes his value up.

You think he would sign with the O's so he could be a utility player on a last place team?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You think he would sign with the O's so he could be a utility player on a last place team?

I was still thinking about getting him into 130-140 games in that role.  If he can hit 20-25 HRs, with an OPS between .750-.800 in a super utility role getting ABs in all 3 OF spots, and 3 of the 4 infield spots?  That's a trade chip if that happens.

Beckham. Lifetime BABIP of .325 and in 2018 it was .282. He also hit decently when playing shortstop and hit miserably when playing everywhere else. This follows a career trend.

Absolutely no reason Villar should be on this team on Opening Day. Trade him for prospects.

11 hours ago, ScGO's said:

I was still thinking about getting him into 130-140 games in that role.  If he can hit 20-25 HRs, with an OPS between .750-.800 in a super utility role getting ABs in all 3 OF spots, and 3 of the 4 infield spots?  That's a trade chip if that happens.

His career high in games played is 137 in four seasons in the majors. He had to imitate Babe Ruth for a month to get into that many games. He would probably hit the 20 home runs, but his career OPS is .728 and it was .661 last year. Beckham is fools gold. Hold him in the right light and he looks like the real deal, but unfortunately he is just not a good enough hitter to overcome his below average and very frustrating defense. Tampa and Baltimore wanted him to succeed, badly, but unfortunately he seems to earn distrust from managers, not trust. His defense seems to frustrate them as much as it does fans. If his defense was adequate, then I would let him play shortstop. But I think his defense will ultimately frustrate the new manager and reduce his playing time. 

On 10/13/2018 at 7:29 AM, ScGO's said:

Not sure how to start a poll, but this thread could probably use it to see where y'alls opinions lay.  

To ease the bleeding on next season, the O's need to sign a glove first SS who can put up positive defensive numbers and support the young pitching and defense around him.  Our in house options are inadequate.  Beckham may be released and he's not an infielder in my opinion.  Villar has more value at 2B.  Salcedo apparently has a glove at AA, but with no MLB experience he can't be an option.

Here are some options I've been thinking about.

1) Sign one of Jose Iglesias, Freddy Galvis, or Jordy Mercer.  Whoever can be signed the cheapest would be my pick as they are all essentially the same type of offensive player.  

2) Trade Givens for a shortstop prospect.  Who needs relief pitchers and who is willing to give up a SS prospect who is ready to step in?  From reading mlbtraderumors.com this morning, it looks like Philly might be willing to get up off of JP Crawford or Scott Kingery.  You think Givens could head a package to grab one from Philly?  Who else could want Givens that has a SS to move?

3) Glove first MILB FA?  Not sure who is out there that would be a Rey Ordonez/John McDonald all glove no bat.  But I would take a league minimum .200 avg hitter if his D is superb.

Thoughts?

How about they get hire a GM first. Then let him hire a manager. Seems like they can't even do that. 

16 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

How about they get hire a GM first. Then let him hire a manager. Seems like they can't even do that. 

Baseball has a lot of "Unwritten Rules".  One such commonly known factoid is that you do nothing to distract from the "Showcase" that is the playoffs. 

I would also add that the remaining management teams of the teams in the playoffs may very well have the candidate of choice for President/GM and are not approachable while their respective teams are still playing. 

Orioles fans, patience, and common sense seldom get used in the same sentence.

11 hours ago, Matt Bennett said:

Beckham. Lifetime BABIP of .325 and in 2018 it was .282. He also hit decently when playing shortstop and hit miserably when playing everywhere else. This follows a career trend.

Absolutely no reason Villar should be on this team on Opening Day. Trade him for prospects.

Good points on Beckham.  Re Villar, I'm guessing he'll have max value around midseason, so I'd wait till then unless/until bowled over by a great offer.   

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Good points on Beckham.  Re Villar, I'm guessing he'll have max value around midseason, so I'd wait till then unless/until bowled over by a great offer.   

Perhaps. I tend to think pitchers' value goes up at the trade deadline over position players. Plus, the more control a player has the more valuable they are. Do you think we only could have gotten 1 top 100 prosepect out of Machado if he was traded over the winter? Villar likely will never be the player he was in 2016 but his value is decently high right now and there's no reason he shouldn't be shopped.

Archived