The Victor Victor Mesa/Sandy Gaston thread

Luke-OH

1 minute ago, weams said:

Many players have lived in Fells Point. I've seen them there. Walking their dogs. 

Fells Point...Federal Hill...Butchers Hill...Canton...plenty of "safe" places to live in Baltimore. Are they crime free? No, but that's the cost of living in any City where everything (bars, restaurants, etc.) is within walking distance. If you prioritize safety over accessibility then move the suburbs. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I never said they shouldnt go after him.

Lord knows, they need decent players.

I just think, we are so over hype on VVM being the saviour for this lousy team, that we are setting ourselves up for a letdown.

I don't see many people claiming VVM to be a saviour. If anything, I think the logical case is that this team desperately needs an infusion of talent, especially in light of how poor the trade deadline trades ended up being. And if VVM costs $6m-$7m, that is incredibly cheap and should return their value back pretty easily if they're merely decent players.

Get as many players in the system as possible. Especially ones with pretty decent/high ceilings and cost virtually nothing.

Just now, LTO's said:

And those well-to-do areas are some of the richest and safest areas of the entire country with some of the best schools. Like another poster said, I have seen a lot of the younger guys in the south Baltimore area. They obviously chose to live there for a reason and if it was really that bad I'm sure they'd move away.

Those with money, tend to ship their kids to very private schools, too.

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

Fells Point...Federal Hill...Butchers Hill...Canton...plenty of "safe" places to live in Baltimore. Are they crime free? No, but that's the cost of living in any City where everything (bars, restaurants, etc.) is within walking distance. If you prioritize safety over accessibility then move the suburbs. 

Yup. I ran into Chris Tillman randomly walking through Harbour East a couple years ago. Buddy met Kevin Gregg in Federal Hill randomly.

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Those with money, tend to ship their kids to very private schools, too.

Some of the best private schools in the state are in Baltimore City (or right on the outskirts). Hell, I'm in Baltimore City and I'm a stones throw from Gillman, Boy's Latin, Bryn Mawr, Roland Park Country School, Friends, Park...and the list goes on. 

Just now, LookitsPuck said:

Yup. I ran into Chris Tillman randomly walking through Harbour East a couple years ago. Buddy met Kevin Gregg in Federal Hill randomly.

This is going back a bit, but I ran into Armando Benitez when I was 21sh at a semi sketchy bar back in the day. I think it was called the "Baja Beach Club" or something like that. All I remember is the had 25 cent beers from 7-10 which was gold for a broke college student ;)

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

This is going back a bit, but I ran into Armando Benitez when I was 21sh at a semi sketchy bar back in the day. I think it was called the "Baja Beach Club" or something like that. All I remember is the had 25 cent beers from 7-10 which was gold for a broke college student ;)

lol. Good times! I remember Baja Beach Club. Used to go there in my early 20s, too. I remember a bunch of the Latinx fellas in the Orioles frequenting Powerplant, namely Daniel Cabrera. I know Nick Markakis, Erik Bedard and Adam Loewen frequented Canton quite a bit, too.

Brian Roberts lived in the City if I recall. As did Jeremy Guthrie, Eric Byrnes, etc. etc.

As safe as the town may be to go to a game in, the support for the Orioles over the last five seasons has been very poor. Awful. Even when the teams were good. THe to games, giveaways and playoffs were sold out.  Otherwise the run of the mill games were always poorly attended. 

6 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

lol. Good times! I remember Baja Beach Club. Used to go there in my early 20s, too. I remember a bunch of the Latinx fellas in the Orioles frequenting Powerplant, namely Daniel Cabrera. I know Nick Markakis, Erik Bedard and Adam Loewen frequented Canton quite a bit, too.

Brian Roberts lived in the City if I recall. As did Jeremy Guthrie, Eric Byrnes, etc. etc.

This isn't a proud moment, but I'm pretty sure I slapped Benitez on the back and asked him why he didn't retaliate for someone throwing at an Oriole. I must have spotted him closer to 10pm then 7pm. This has been a public service announcement. Don't binge drink kids...even if it's cheap beer. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

As safe as the town may be to go to a game in, the support for the Orioles over the last five seasons has been very poor. Awful. Even when the teams were good. THe to games, giveaways and playoffs were sold out.  Otherwise the run of the mill games were always poorly attended. 

Sadly, I think that's the way attendance is going to be for this club.   The Yankees and Red Sox will always draw, but you're not going to see big numbers with Minnesota, Tampa, or other clubs any more.   When the team gets good again, attendance will spike a bit for the "lesser" teams, but it will never be like the 90's again.

Just now, clapdiddy said:

Sadly, I think that's the way attendance is going to be for this club.   The Yankees and Red Sox will always draw, but you're not going to see big numbers with Minnesota, Tampa, or other clubs any more.   When the team gets good again, attendance will spike a bit for the "lesser" teams, but it will never be like the 90's again.

Live attendance for all sports is becoming an issue.

2 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

That does not support a championship team for this version of baseball I fear. 

2 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

You know it's the offseason, and an ugly offseason when the most popular thread on OH turns into something that might be better suited for "Trip Advisor: Downtown Baltimore Living"

Or "Portland, An Adventure in Culture and Rainfall."

Archived