The Victor Victor Mesa/Sandy Gaston thread

Luke-OH

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Tony-OH, I know you know way more about sports than I.

But, this crap about Baltimore being a murder capital is over the top.

Hell, look at Chicago, they have more murders, but since they have more people, it lowers the ratio.

Wait, look at Florence SC, they just had a cop killed and 6 or 7 others shot.

Todays society is too many guns in the wrong hands, and lets go shoot somebody.

A murder capital, not THE murder capital. It's not about statistics, it's about reputation. Most people outside of this area have a very negative feeling about the city because of what they'v seen on TV. I like portions of Baltimore, but we have to face it, the city does not have a good reputation and that has to hurt the Orioles attempts to lure people to play here.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Chromehill said:

Certainly the current state of the O's franchise is not good and Baltimore is not exactly enticing as a city to play in, especially if you are Latino (not a big Latino community around here).  The reason the Mesa brothers will not be Orioles is going to come down to money.  It looked really good a few months ago when the Orioles had significantly more money available than any other team to sign the Mesa's.  Then the O's gave away $750K for an old rookie league firstbasemen and the Marlins went out and acquired about $2 million more.  The advantage the O's had is gone and so is the opportunity.  Credit to the Marlins for some deft maneuvering.  The Zollner trade probably does not matter in the signing once the Marlins got more cash.

Even with the Mesa's only being solid prospects, signing them would have been a nice PR boost for the O's.  Now the Marlins will get the PR boost. 

The Zollner trade remains a mystery to me. 

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

That was three years ago and it only lasted a few days. I'm also fairly certain there was no actual rioting near the stadium. 

Well besides the mob that attacked the folks at Pickles. Three years is not that long ago and it's a tough reputation to live down. The places to feel safe in Baltimore have been dwindling.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well besides the mob that attacked the folks at Pickles. Three years is not that long ago and it's a tough reputation to live down. The places to feel safe in Baltimore have been dwindling.

Not to mention that the game against Boston the crowd had to be held in the ballpark by order of the Mayor of Baltimore because it was deemed unsafe outside the stadium.  Wasn't there a police car window smashed between the convention center and light rail as well?

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I understand. I love living in Myrtle Beach. Don't have to worry about things like that.

6 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

Not to mention that the game against Boston the crowd had to be held in the ballpark by order of the Mayor of Baltimore because it was deemed unsafe outside the stadium.  Wasn't there a police car window smashed between the convention center and light rail as well?

Yes. Along with rioters trying to pull some one out of a truck.

Also don't forget that along with the empty stadium and postponed game, a whole series had to be moved to Tampa.

4 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

I understand. I love living in Myrtle Beach. Don't have to worry about things like that.

Or not?

In 2017, SafeWise ranked Myrtle Beach the third most dangerous city, which received criticism because the numbers are based on the FBI’s crime statistics on a per capita basis. Officials previously said it takes into account the number of residents in Myrtle Beach, but not the millions of tourists who visit every year.

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/local/article214825880.html

2 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

Right. Too many apologists on here that take negative comments about the city personally. I've never lived in Baltimore City, but I consider it my city and my mother and father are both from there. I love portions of the city and I want to be proud of it, but the fact remains that it's reputation is very poor outside of the Baltimore area. Are there nice ares in Baltimore, sure. Are there areas where I would feel fairly safe, sure. But some people stick there heads in the sand and want to act like the city doesn't have a poor reputation for things that have happened in the recent past.

Now, at the end of the day, do I think Baltimore's reputation will stop a guy from signing here if the Orioles offer him the most money? Probably not. Honestly, I think the fact the current organization does not have their Baseball Operations staff and manager in place will hurt them more.

But as I originally stated, along with awful season and lack of impact players ready to start the rebuild with, the combination makes this a hard sell to Cuban born players who will see South Beach and Little Havana as a pretty nice place to hang out in their off time.

4 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Or not?

In 2017, SafeWise ranked Myrtle Beach the third most dangerous city, which received criticism because the numbers are based on the FBI’s crime statistics on a per capita basis. Officials previously said it takes into account the number of residents in Myrtle Beach, but not the millions of tourists who visit every year.

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/local/article214825880.html

The new poll moved Myrtle Beach down to 32nd. 

https://www.safewise.com/blog/most-dangerous-cities/

33 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

A murder capital, not THE murder capital. It's not about statistics, it's about reputation. Most people outside of this area have a very negative feeling about the city because of what they'v seen on TV. I like portions of Baltimore, but we have to face it, the city does not have a good reputation and that has to hurt the Orioles attempts to lure people to play here.

Yup.  You can't even get into the city via I-83 without being harassed by the Squeegee Boys.  Once they find their way to the exit of the Orioles parking lots, you'll see even less people going to the Stadium.

People like Redskin Rick continue to defend the city, but the perception is people think its unsafe, so they stay away. I'm glad Rick doesn't think so, but its a fact that people stay away from Baltimore City now.  

1 hour ago, NattyO's said:

Good grief here we go with all the crime stuff. All cities with a Pro Sports team has lots of crime. Some more than others. Last time i checked lots of people still go to games. That being said the only time i go into Baltimore is to go to a game.

Of the cities I have been to with pro sports teams I would say Boston, San Francisco and San Antonio felt very safe to me.   

2 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Yup.  You can't even get into the city via I-83 without being harassed by the Squeegee Boys.  Once they find their way to the exit of the Orioles parking lots, you'll see even less people going to the Stadium.

People like Redskin Rick continue to defend the city, but the perception is people think its unsafe, so they stay away. I'm glad Rick doesn't think so, but its a fact that people stay away from Baltimore City now.  

The squeegee problem is out of control.  I try to avoid driving in the city because of it And the mayor calls these kids “entrepreneurs”.  It’s extortion.  No wonder the police chief only lasts about a year before quitting or getting fired.  

Archived