The Victor Victor Mesa/Sandy Gaston thread

Luke-OH

5 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Yup.  You can't even get into the city via I-83 without being harassed by the Squeegee Boys.  Once they find their way to the exit of the Orioles parking lots, you'll see even less people going to the Stadium.

People like Redskin Rick continue to defend the city, but the perception is people think its unsafe, so they stay away. I'm glad Rick doesn't think so, but its a fact that people stay away from Baltimore City now.  

i understand what you are saying but even before the riots people I spoke to who lived in the suburbs were afraid to go to the games. In 2016 ,Baltimore had a record amount of  tourists ever,. Orioles stink and no one will come either way. Being rated number 1 in murder is not good either.

https://baltimore.org/press-release/baltimore-welcomed-record-259-million-visitors-2016

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

Miami Vice ruined Miami for me. I mean those suits!! And the leather loafers with no socks. Crocket and Tubs clothing: Yuck. 

Oh absolutely...

Thank God we've finally returned to an era of taste and discernment in men's fashion.

Hip-Hop-Fashion-Man.jpg

8 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Yup.  You can't even get into the city via I-83 without being harassed by the Squeegee Boys.  Once they find their way to the exit of the Orioles parking lots, you'll see even less people going to the Stadium.

People like Redskin Rick continue to defend the city, but the perception is people think its unsafe, so they stay away. I'm glad Rick doesn't think so, but its a fact that people stay away from Baltimore City now.  

I almost dealt with that last year. They were walking in and out of traffic, I was back just far enough from the intersection. 

After dealing with backed up traffic due to an accident and being late for an appointment that was the last thing I wanted to see.  

30 minutes ago, Ripken said:

There is no comparing Baltimore and Miami when it comes to a young Cuban kid.  These are the dark times.

Actually there is no comparing just about any city and Miami when it comes to a young Cuban kid.  Think about it, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Detroit, St Louis, Denver, etc would all be unattractive to a young Cuban kid. 

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I almost dealt with that last year. They were walking in and out of traffic, I was back just far enough from the intersection. 

After dealing with backed up traffic due to an accident and being late for an appointment that was the last thing I wanted to see.  

And if you refuse to pay this might happen to you. 

https://www.google.com/amp/www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-ci-squeegee-smasher-20181004-story,amp.html

2 minutes ago, Chromehill said:

Actually there is no comparing just about any city and Miami when it comes to a young Cuban kid.  Think about it, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Detroit, St Louis, Denver, etc would all be unattractive to a young Cuban kid. 

I'm sure not all young men from Cuba fall into such a narrow strata as folks are suggesting.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

A murder capital, not THE murder capital. It's not about statistics, it's about reputation. Most people outside of this area have a very negative feeling about the city because of what they'v seen on TV. I like portions of Baltimore, but we have to face it, the city does not have a good reputation and that has to hurt the Orioles attempts to lure people to play here.

I just doubt that kids who were in their teens in a closed off communist nation really have much of a notion of Baltimore's reputation.   And their agent isn't going to fill them in, because if Baltimore does wind up with the biggest offer he's going to want them to take it.

46 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Why would anyone want to own a professional sports team in Baltimore? Smart ownership would move the team to a safer city. or at least build a ballpark in the suburbs. 

25 minutes ago, Chromehill said:

In the past, teams like the RS (Castillo), Reds (Chapman), White Sox (Abreu) and A's (Cespedes) were able to sign the top Cuban players by throwing the most money at them. The slotting system makes that harder to do, and may give an advantage to teams in cities that appeal to Cubans, like Miami and New York. (There may be others. Tampa? L.A.?) Unintended consequence of an attempt to level the playing field a bit without resort to a draft.

17 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I just doubt that kids who were in their teens in a closed off communist nation really have much of a notion of Baltimore's reputation.   And their agent isn't going to fill them in, because if Baltimore does wind up with the biggest offer he's going to want them to take it.

Wouldn't you expect the friendly Marlins representatives, who gave them those nice jerseys, to mention that? I would.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Well besides the mob that attacked the folks at Pickles. Three years is not that long ago and it's a tough reputation to live down. The places to feel safe in Baltimore have been dwindling.

I'm not really sure I agree with that. I don't think Fed Hill, Fells, Canton, Butcher's Hill, Locust Point, etc. are any more unsafe then they were 10 years ego. If anything they've improved as they've been developed. In particular the Locust Point and Butcher's Hill areas. 

Archived