The Victor Victor Mesa/Sandy Gaston thread

Luke-OH

Just now, jsbearr said:

If you want context on that tweet, then here it is.

A few folks were saying that by spending a ton on Mesas, Gaston, whoever that it shows international prospects that the Orioles are for real and will increase the Orioles ability to sign future prospects.  I replied that this is not really what happens.  Big money will sign players, yes.  But big money is transient.  What actually works when you are developing your network and fostering those relationships are not a history of big money, but that they trust you and the money you offer is not overwhelmed by anyone else throwing down an offer.  Signing a player for a lot of money simply does not move the needle when you look at future signings.

A couple commenters pushed back with thought exercises about what 15 year olds want in life. I told them that it simply is not how it works based on experiences communicated to me through people who have worked there for decades.  That got some snide remarks, so I then wrote OK nevermind the experiences and knowledge I have and am sharing with you all.  I do not know everything.  I am not an expert here, but I probably have a lot more experience than someone who is playacting a teenager. These are things that I have specifically engaged on and I feel incredibly confidant on that information. If the commenter can get yourself some primary sources who say otherwise, then that adds to the discussion.  If the foundation of the argument is that personal experience as a teenager is that it was fun to buy things, then I will disregard that as adding nothing to the conversation.

I mean, I find it remarkable how often we come into contact with peculiar ideas about how things work or that some folks think age falsification is still a thing when so so so much has been written about the scene.  How so much primary source information is out there.  How open and engaging reporters and scouts are who work those areas.  People talk a ton.  Scouts talk a ton.  Really the only people in baseball who you have to squeeze for information are the data analysts.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this will come down to the O's valuation of Gaston.  They will be in a position to offer Gaston more than the Marlins can (given the Marlins' commitment to the Mesa brothers) and the question will become whether he's worth the price. 

You can read it as a bad move by management either way.  On the one hand, if they don't get Gaston, they traded Gausman for nothing but salary relief. On the other hand, if they do get Gaston and the price is high (esp. if its = or >  ~$2 million), management would appear to be a victim of the sunk cost fallacy.

3 hours ago, atomic said:

Its a numbers game.  That is why the other teams in the division sign 25 guys every year.  You are lucky if one of the 25 makes it to the majors. 

A lot of money to be spent for the occasional hit. Most of the other folks that do well are inexpensive  guys that just bloom. I am glad we are back in the market though. 

Likewise, there were 20-23 players on Norfolk's roster whose only reason for being under contract was so that Cedric Mullins and DJ Stewart would have someone to play baseball with.  A few others got to ride the bullpen and utility player shuttle for a season.

On 10/11/2018 at 12:40 PM, atomic said:

Of the cities I have been to with pro sports teams I would say Boston, San Francisco and San Antonio felt very safe to me.   

Been to Cincinnati for a Ravens game a while back, besides a few butt holes in the stadium, it was a pretty good experience.

32 minutes ago, NattyO's said:

Been to Cincinnati for a Ravens game a while back, besides a few butt holes in the stadium, it was a pretty good experience.

I did that once.   And the Bengals killed us that day.   Probably over 10 years ago.   And there were definitely some buttholes.   One got right in my face and started taunting me because the Ravens were losing.   Wasn't pleasant, but no physical contact so it beats Morgantown.

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I did that once.   And the Bengals killed us that day.   Probably over 10 years ago.   And there were definitely some buttholes.   One got right in my face and started taunting me because the Ravens were losing.   Wasn't pleasant, but no physical contact so it beats Morgantown.

Sounds like the game i went to. Was around 10 years ago and we got our butts kicked. 

Archived