TT: Silence of Ownership is Deafening

Tony-OH

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, terphoopsfan said:

Nashville, San Antonio, Las Vegas, Portland, Charlotte would be better markets IMO. We're always going to be behind Boston/NY anyways when it comes to payroll, infrastructure, etc. Would be nice to see divisions realigned instead of expanding and further diluting the lack of talent pool.

The Indians just finished their 6th consecutive winning season and 3rd straight division title. Their attendance was 1.9M. They have broke 2M fans once in a decade. Any talk of them moving? 

This topic that the Orioles may leave town is comical. 

3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

The Indians just finished their 6th consecutive winning season and 3rd straight division title. Their attendance was 1.9M. They have broke 2M fans once in a decade. Any talk of them moving? 

This topic that the Orioles may leave town is comical

Especially since baseball teams move so infrequently.  If this were another sport it might be more realistic. 

As I’m sure you’ve noticed, little to nothing has come out of the B&O Warehouse regarding the Orioles’ search for their top executive. It’s been strangely quiet, which, I suppose, is a testament to John and Louis Angelos wanting to keep everything in-house. They have taken the reins from their father, Peter, and are attempting to run it their way — and there have been few leaks while they remain the only two people conducting interviews.

I’m sure cynics are concerned that the silence means nothing is being done. At this point, they’ll get the benefit of the doubt. But you’d think a decision should come soon. The World Series is over, the GM meetings are next week in California, and though a new president doesn’t have to be in place for those, it’s a reasonable goal.

One small nugget I have gleaned from the Orioles’ search is that the Angelos brothers want someone who has a background in building a team — or at least has significant experience on the executive side of baseball. That’s why names such as Ned Colletti, Ben Cherington and Kim Ng  have surfaced.

My sense is they’ll do some recycling with the president — grabbing a former GM or high-ranking executive from elsewhere and then bringing in a younger GM who is perhaps more analytics-based to work in the trenches.

That, anyway, seems to me to be the perfect formula right now. Mix and match strengths, but let the president, who has been through the baseball wars previously, pick the GM. Similar to what the Philadelphia Phillies did with MacPhail as president and his former Orioles protégé, Matt Klentak, as GM.

From Dan Connolly's $$$ piece Athletic.

"...John and Louis Angelos wanting to keep everything in-house. They have taken the reins from their father, Peter, and are attempting to run it their way — and there have been few leaks while they remain the only two people conducting interviews"

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Today is the day that all contracts run out on Orioles personnel, including Brian Graham unless he's been given some kind of extension.

Dan indicated in his piece that traditionally under the Angelos family, the contracts are allowed to expire, no conversations are made with many. Some are told they will not return, others given permission to interview elsewhere. For those in limbo, the checks keep coming for a few months until all is resolved. 

17 minutes ago, wildcard said:

But some guys could continue to work without contracts, right?

Sure, and I'm sure the ones that hope to be back will continue to do so. But seriously, this is just more of the same from the Angelos family. As I always say, "Take care of your people and they will take care of you!" 

I think it’s unreasonable to expect them to renew contracts for lower level staff while conducting an executive search for the eventual top person.

Good way to do things over the long haul? No.  But, not at all surprising during this transitional phase.

6 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I think it’s unreasonable to expect them to renew contracts for lower level staff while conducting an executive search for the eventual top person.

Good way to do things over the long haul? No.  But, not at all surprising during this transitional phase.

No one expects them to renew the contracts. It's the fact that this process is still going to the point these contracts are running out is the issue.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Sure, and I'm sure the ones that hope to be back will continue to do so. But seriously, this is just more of the same from the Angelos family. As I always say, "Take care of your people and they will take care of you!" 

Which is why Angelos has routinely been one of the worse owners in sports.

Archived