After a month of reflection, I still can’t believe how bad this team was

Frobby

51 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If you are looks for core guys than you have to look at Hays, Diaz, Mullins, McKenna, Nunez, Villar, Mancini, Wynns on the position .   Cobb, Bundy, Hess, Akin, Givens, Fry, Castro, Scott, Kline,  Bleier, Yacabonis, Harvey,  Carroll, Tate,  Ortiz,  and Ramirez.

I have no idea of the service-time stuff... But I can't wait to see an everyday outfield of Diaz in left... Mullins in center... Hays in right... (By the way, I somehow missed the fact that the Dodgers paid $31 MILLION just to sign Diaz out of Cuba. That makes the trade look even better, perhaps.)

Then I want to see Mancini on first... Villar at second... Grenier at short (if he can hit at all)... and Mountcastle at third (we gotta try it). Then draft Rutschmann (sp?)... and he takes over at catcher. 

Starters something like: Cobb, Cashner, Bundy, Akin, Ortiz... until Hall, Rodriguez and company are ready. I still think people are sleeping on Cobb. I think he's going to be very good for us, once he gets a good D behind him.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Ripken said:

It's almost like, those of us who hated how this team was constructed the last few years were right.  Cheap starters, relying entirely on power, and poor fundamentals.  We sacrificed the future to go all in on a pair of twos.

Yeah, it was no fun watching them play from 2012 to the last month of 2017 because the team wasn't built "the right way".  No fun at all.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Knowing they we're not built for sustained success did lessen my enjoyment.

Yeah, it was a bit of a guilty pleasure.   But I did enjoy it, a lot.   

Honestly, I look at what the Yankees and Red Sox have built currently and wonder if we’d be truly competitive with them now even if we’d done a lot of things right.    Clearly it’s possible (witness Houston),  but it would have been difficult.     There’s some logic to trying to seize the opportunity while those two teams were down a bit.   But if so, they probably should have gone all in even more than they did, especially after 2014.    Seems like they always played it halfway, and whichever way they jumped, it turned out that the opposite decision would have been better.    

Still, I did enjoy watching a winning team for a few years.

3 hours ago, atomic said:

I am not sure how you get bright spots out of some of these guys.  Wilkerson and Valera will turn 27 in a few days and haven't shown anything yet.  I suppose Wilkerson's .174 average last year and an OPS in the 400's.  Wilkerson made some bad defensive plays as well. Terrible ones.  I guess some people are eternal optimists. 

Wynns is going to turn 28 in a few days and he couldn't hit in Norfolk. 

Really your post actually shows how bleak things are.  Trying to polish turds. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I wouldn’t put it that strongly, but who on this list is a potential core guy on a winning major league team?   Maybe Villar could be, on the right team.    The rest are second division regulars or relievers, or worse.    

Did I say these guys were going to be World Champions? No.

But I'm also not gonna go out and say everyone on the team sucks, no one is good, ect. I am not going to be all "doom and gloom" about every single thing.

Would I like the Orioles to win? Sure. But do I hope some individual players also do well? Yes. Watching the minor leagues the past few seasons and seeing these guys get to Baltimore makes things more fun.

2 hours ago, Bradysburns said:

I have no idea of the service-time stuff... But I can't wait to see an everyday outfield of Diaz in left... Mullins in center... Hays in right... (By the way, I somehow missed the fact that the Dodgers paid $31 MILLION just to sign Diaz out of Cuba. That makes the trade look even better, perhaps.)

Then I want to see Mancini on first... Villar at second... Grenier at short (if he can hit at all)... and Mountcastle at third (we gotta try it). Then draft Rutschmann (sp?)... and he takes over at catcher. 

Starters something like: Cobb, Cashner, Bundy, Akin, Ortiz... until Hall, Rodriguez and company are ready. I still think people are sleeping on Cobb. I think he's going to be very good for us, once he gets a good D behind him.

Sounds like a plan.   I think Mountcastle is a DH but I am fine with Nunez at 3B.  And I think Hess will be better than Ortiz.

10 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Did I say these guys were going to be World Champions? No.

But I'm also not gonna go out and say everyone on the team sucks, no one is good, ect. I am not going to be all "doom and gloom" about every single thing.

Would I like the Orioles to win? Sure. But do I hope some individual players also do well? Yes. Watching the minor leagues the past few seasons and seeing these guys get to Baltimore makes things more fun.

LOL.  Half your list is not even guys who are from our system.  Gilmarten has been in the majors for 4 years and was released by 2 teams already.  He is also 28.  

Nunez was released by 2 teams this year.  

Villar has been in MLB six years.  

Valera was playing in Oklahoma City this year and Venezula and Memphis last year.  Did you catch him in those places?

Villar looks decent.  Nunez might turn out to be a serviceable major leaguer.  DJ Stewart could be ok.  But that is how bad it is.  We have one major league position player and a couple of guys we are hopeful that can amount to anything. 

Half the guys you mention I hope are gone by the time the season starts.  Valera and Wilkerson should not be on the 40 man IMHO.  

33 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Knowing they we're not built for sustained success did lessen my enjoyment.

Mine too, but I enjoyed the party nonethess and I don't believe in complaining about the cost of my fun.  

However team-building is a whole different animal.  The Orioles have an opportunity to radically change course right now and if they choose not to lay a foundation for long-term success I'll be disappointed and complain along with everyone else.  

59 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

It was fun, as was 96 & 97.

Im too damn old to wait 14 years for winning baseball in Oct to return.

Same here.  I'm hoping for a different approach this time, but I'm also hoping for a front office with a clock a little faster than Andy MacPhail's was.

22 minutes ago, weams said:

Andy did the five year clock in Philadelphia. 

He may succeed in four this time and good for him.  Lord knows he needs a change, teams he's led haven't had a winning season since 2004.  IMO the only magic about 5-year plans is they turn into self-fullfilling prophesies all to easily.  I sincerely hope the next President/GM combo have an aversion to complacency and everybody in the organization knows it.

2 hours ago, 24fps said:

Yeah, it was no fun watching them play from 2012 to the last month of 2017 because the team wasn't built "the right way".  No fun at all.

12-14 was really fun and they followed that up with several bad decisions and the mistaken belief that the 15-18 teams would seriously compete.  That 14-15 offseason was very damaging.

4 minutes ago, Ripken said:

12-14 was really fun and they followed that up with several bad decisions and the mistaken belief that the 15-18 teams would seriously compete.  That 14-15 offseason was very damaging.

I think daddy got back involved and back to micromanaging and ruined any chance they had on going to the next level.

2016 was fun too, just not as much. It was still winning baseball in the fall.

Archived