Duke looks scary good (2018-19 version)

Frobby

On 3/16/2019 at 3:15 PM, OFFNY said:

o

I'm glad that my beloved Tar Heels showed that they were capable of beating Duke with Zion Williamson on the floor, even though they lost the game.

With Virginia's loss to Florida State combined with Duke's win over North Carolina, a #1 seed could be on the line for Duke in the Blue Devils' championship game against the Seminoles today.

o

6 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

With UNC and Duke showing themselves as equals on Friday night and Kentucky losing to Tennessee yesterday, I think that it's still conceivable they could give all three of UVA, Duke, and UNC #1 seeds.

I think that UVA and Duke have them pretty much locked, along the Gonzaga, and I'd guess that the 4th is a conversation between UNC and, (pending today's results) Tennessee and Michigan State. 

o

The 3-out-of-4 from the same conference scenario that came to fruition is mildly reminiscent of the 1984-85 season tournament, when the Big East had 3 of their teams all reach the Final Four ........ Georgetown (#1 Seed), St. John's (#1 seed), and Villanova (#8 Seed.)

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fvault-cdn.si.com%2FSI_ISSUE_IMAGES%2FSports%2520Illustrated%2F1985%2F04%2F19850401%2FSports_Illustrated_43450_19850401-001-775-cover.jpg&w=400&h=568&q=85

o

6 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

The 3-out-of-4 from the same conference scenario that came to fruition is mildly reminiscent of the 1984-85 season tournament, when the Big East had 3 of their teams all reach the Final Four ........ Georgetown (#1 Seed), St. John's (#1 seed), and Villanova (#8 Seed.)

o

Yea, when folks compare Turgeon's record to Williams' record I wonder how Turgeon would be doing in the ACC.

On 3/16/2019 at 12:50 PM, Spy Fox said:

The ACC Final Four was probably made of better teams on average than the NCAA Final Four is going to be. ?

Well, since it turns out three of the four no. 1 seeds are ACC teams, your comment was pretty prescient!    I guess Gonzaga arguably is better than Florida State, but we may find out otherwise since they’re lined up to play each other in the third round.

19 hours ago, backwardsk said:

I'd love to see Duke/UNC IV.

o

They almost played each other for the national championship in 1991 ........ Duke beat UNLV in the Final Four that year, but North Carolina lost to Kansas in the other semifinal.

One year later in 1992, Cincinnati beat Memphis State 4 times in the same season ........ twice during the regular season, a 3rd time in the Great Midwest Conference championship game, and a 4th time in the regional championship/Elite Eight. Nick Van Exel was a junior for those Cincinnati Bearcats that season, and Anfernee Hardaway was a redshirt freshman for the Memphis State Tigers.

o

o

Duke related ........ Jack Labosky, a recent Duke graduate and current Tampa Bay D-Rays farmhand (a 22nd-Round draft pick from 2018), will live out of renovated school bus with his wife this season with his girlfriend.

Thrifty Minor Leaguer to Live in School Bus During Season

(By Jake Seiner)

https://www.cdapress.com/article/20190323/AP/303239965

Thrifty minor leaguer to live in school bus during seasonooooooooo Thrifty minor leaguer to live in school bus during season 1

o

Duke has now had three one-point victories where the other team had the final shot and then a chance for a tip/follow-up shot.    Each time, the other team’s shot missed by the narrowest of margins.   Duke is very fortunate to have made it to the Sweet Sixteen.     UCF played a hell of a game.

23 hours ago, Frobby said:

Duke has now had three one-point victories where the other team had the final shot and then a chance for a tip/follow-up shot.    Each time, the other team’s shot missed by the narrowest of margins.   Duke is very fortunate to have made it to the Sweet Sixteen.     UCF played a hell of a game.

I totally agree, one whale of a game.

Wasn't that the game, that Duke shot was replayed over and over, to see if the shot clock had expired, and if the ball hit the rim as it went by. It hit, but ever so slightly, which reset the clock and allowed the rebound shot that went in to be allowed.

Been a bunch of close games, and first time, all chalk made it to the sweet 16 since 1996, according to the screenshot the other night.

You cant ever count a coach K team out of the running. :)

Another razor thin victory for Duke, 75-73 over Va. Tech.   How Ahmed Hill missed the game-tying shot, I’ll never know.    I think he rushed his release thinking the clock might expire, but he had plenty of time.    

Not sure Duke has the juice to beat Michigan State if Reddish is out.   He’s been a bit disappointing at times but is still a valuable player at both ends of the floor.   And Duke’s bench is thin to begin with.    

I’m going to the game on Sunday and crossing my fingers.  

o

Duke had a solid season overall, winning the ACC tournament with a win over a red-hot Florida State team, and making it to the Elite Eight in the NCAA tournament. 

Like Winnie the Pooh getting his head stuck in the honey jar, Duke went to the well once too often in terms of letting a game go right down to the wire/final possession (Central Florida, Virginia Tech, and Michigan State.)

o

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I 'm not starting a thread while I'm on mobile.

Stephen F. Austin 85

Duke 83

Biggest upset ever?

Definitely a shocker, but I certainly wouldn’t say the biggest upset ever.   That still goes to UVA-Chaminade during the Ralph Sampson era.    Stephen F. Austin has a pretty respectable basketball program that made the NCAA tournament four times last decade.    As to Duke, they are not as talented as last year.