Orioles hire Mike Elias as Executive Vice President and GM

ISU94

18 minutes ago, weams said:

The Davis contract will haunt the small market Orioles for decades as an  off the books expense that will truly limit how much does get invested in payroll. I don't ever expect to see $150 million spent in Baltimore again. 

"Decades," I guess, but haunt is just hyperbole.

We owe him $3.5M/year from 2023-2032, then $1.5M/year 2033-37. 

We spent almost $3.5M on Tim Beckham this year. $3M on Tillman. $3M on Rasmus. I bet the league minimum is over a million by 2033. Avoiding stupid "little" contracts like that will go a long way towards making up for those deferred payments.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do the Orioles have to be so frustratingly slow? I won’t be surprised when we eventually find out that the Orioles offered the president position to one or even two people who turned them down. This hire is taking a very long time and the hiring of an outside president doesn’t appear to be happening. 

Just negative speculation on my part, but a real possibility. 

19 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Why do the Orioles have to be so frustratingly slow? I won’t be surprised when we eventually find out that the Orioles offered the president position to one or even two people who turned them down. This hire is taking a very long time and the hiring of an outside president doesn’t appear to be happening. 

I assume they wish to have one press conference. 

43 minutes ago, makoman said:

"Decades," I guess, but haunt is just hyperbole.

We owe him $3.5M/year from 2023-2032, then $1.5M/year 2033-37. 

We spent almost $3.5M on Tim Beckham this year. $3M on Tillman. $3M on Rasmus. I bet the league minimum is over a million by 2033. Avoiding stupid "little" contracts like that will go a long way towards making up for those deferred payments.

I would say avoiding A LOT of stupid little contract helps, but the fact is one or two of them is negligable and worth the potential value if the player has a good season.  Take Nate McLouth as the empirical evidence of that.  Nate was an pivotal piece of bringing the Orioles back from the dead.

33 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

If only one or two turned them down then it's a significant net gain.  Mike Elias checks all the boxes most people here have demanded the Orioles address - for years in some cases.  If this truly signals the beginning of an entirely new and enlightened approach, then well worth the wait IMO.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think your question is fair enough.   People underestimate the degree to which the Astros were built on trades and some sharp FA signings.    I am happy with the choice of Elias, but I’m certainly not going to assume he’s some miracle-worker.    

I am not sure a single executive around MLB could be considered a miracle worker …. but we are going to have a front office at the front end of analytics and, if you have read Astroball - which is an easy read BTW, will start making much more rational decisions - not selling Matusz WITH a draft pick kind of stupidity.

We are going to do a whole lot of things better.  IMO, we will have the type of singular focus on hording and developing prospects not seen since AM was here and probably not seen at all before that as far as I can remember.  And we will do it better than AM because we should have more scouts domestically and internationally and should invest our full allocation internationally.

My enthusiasm for the hire has as much to do with the process our new FO will follow as much as it is for guys we will hire.  If we follow that process, it may take three years, maybe four, maybe more, but we will be accumulating and valuing our prospects and mlb player assets better than has ever been done here in at least 20-25 years.  The sheer quality and depth of those prospects will eventually get to the majors and have no other option but to win our fair share of games.  You see what the Phillies and Braves have been doing, what the Padres and Rays do, what Houston and Milw have done - that's where we are headed.  We don't need a miracle worker to get there. 

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

I suspect you  are wrong. 

1 hour ago, scOtt said:

What's the Angelos qoute TonyS always uses?

This time it's REALLY going to happen. 

It's been years since I quoted him.  Years.  He hasn't spoken much with the press in a long time.  The last time I recall was in the locker room during the 2014 playoffs.

This quote goes back to September 2005

We are coming back strong next year." I know you have heard that tune before, but this time it will literally come true." 

After that blew up in his face, the next year he told Pressbox

It's very difficult to accept and I think that was what probably motivated me to get moving on the RSN when the opportunity was there. I managed to negotiate arrangements whereby that became a possibility. 

That is going to provide relief and my game is to improve the status of the Orioles and get the team back on a winning basis. . . which I think (I don't want to make predictions because they say, "Well, he predicted that last year and so on,") is the goal. That is the purpose of the entire effort.   

https://www.pressboxonline.com/story/738/the-last-laugh-q-a-with-peter-angelos

Archived