Elias vs. Duquette

Bahama O's Fan

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think the team is in a different spot today than it was in 2011, even though most fans didn’t recognize that the 2011 team had already developed the core of a winning team.   

The thing I remember Duquette saying repeatedly in his early interviews was (paraphrasing): “the thing I really like about this team is it’s very strong up the middle with Wieters, Hardy and Jones.”   Contrast that to now where we have huge question marks at C, SS and CF (not to mention just about everywhere else).    And of course, that team had a rock-solid presence in RF, and a secret weapon about to burst on the scene at 3B.    The team Elias inherits has none of that.    He’s coming into a far worse situation in terms of the talent on the club.    So, he can’t take Duquette’s win now approach.   

That said, he has the advantage of a clearer leadership structure that Duquette never had, and I think both ownership and the fans will be a little less desperate for short term success, having only endured two losing seasons instead of 14.   So, the conditions are good to try to build a sustainable long term contender.    Good luck to him.

In 2011 we had a bunch of drafts with a top 5 pick and had Jones, Markakis, and Hardy in their prime..  Now we have a whole lot of nothing.

Duquette was in building mode from the day he was hired.   He added to the core on players that MacPhail has collected to become an immediate contender.

Elias will remain in tear down mode of at least the first year to take existing assets and trade them for young prospects to fuel the rebuild IMO.

Elias and Duquette begin/began their Orioles careers at different parts of the build cycle.

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Specifically their philosophy for building a team. While here, Dan made it clear that he wanted the club to be competitive short term while drafting and developing well. Didn't turn out that way but that's what he said. Elias comes from Houston that had several terrible years followed by really good ones. Are we to assume short term failure on the MLB level for long term success?

I can't or won't compare them. I will wait till we will see how things work out. I'm glad they hired ME. 

I think we really have to wait and see what Elias does and how.

Theo Epstein benefited in Boston from what DD did before leaving. DD benefited here because of AM's trades. Luhnow and Elias group benfited in Houston from Wade and B. Heck group efforts. 
I guess the question is what Elias does with what DD has left behind ? I think DD really improved the minor league system for the Orioles. Graham and Rajsich not to be left out.

45 minutes ago, whjoe said:

I think we really have to wait and see what Elias does and how.

Theo Epstein benefited in Boston from what DD did before leaving. DD benefited here because of AM's trades. Luhnow and Elias group benfited in Houston from Wade and B. Heck group efforts. 
I guess the question is what Elias does with what DD has left behind ? I think DD really improved the minor league system for the Orioles. Graham and Rajsich not to be left out.

I agree with this quite a bit. 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Let  Westy  play 3B vs right handed pitching and LF vs left-handed pitching.    Urias can play 3B vs lefties.   This is only needed if Cowser can't hit lefties. Mateo and Westy can be platoon in the outfield IMO.
    • O'Neil seems like a perfect fit if he doesn't cost too much in years or dollars.   
    • I don’t think we choked. Stubborn as hell. We literally went down with the same sinking ship philosophy that we had the entire 2nd half of the season.  The young guys just have to adjust. I mean getting completely shut down for 5 post season games has to wear on them. If it doesn’t, then we were never built to win. 
    • Right now the 2025 OF has three LHH OF in Cowser, Mullins, and Kjerstad. I’m not sure what the bench makeup of this team will be, but it looks like we’ll need 1-2 RHH options.  We could bring Slater back on a small “Tony Kemp” like 1 year deal or a milb deal.  With Santander leaving, and Mateo back to being in the CF mix once healthy, do we go with a more COF RHH type? Trades are a possibility as well, but here is a list of upcoming RHH OF Free Agents,    
    • I actually didn't suggest a reliever as the return, that was SG. I was thinking more about trading veterans to acquire pitching prospects, probably lower level lottery tickets. I'd rather pick up ML roster pieces through free agency (assuming of course that Rubenstein will allow a significant payroll boost.).
    • Each player is different. Each player may have a somewhat different hitting philosophy, based on their strengths and weaknesses. Not everyone is a “power hitter.” I would not coach a Tony Santander the same as a Jordan Westburg, or a Jorge Mateo, or a Cedric Mullins. Some should be more selective, while others may need to do more damage and it’s ok for them to K more because the power payoff is worth it. Some should have a more oppo approach, while others may need to try to pull the ball more. The Waltimore certainly has messed with many of our RH bats.  Being a hitting coach is a lot of work, and it is usually not often a position held for many years. They seem to often be a scapegoat when the players do not hit. I wonder what drove the players to swing more at pitches they probably should not have. I seriously doubt it was Ryan Fuller. Hitting coaches have a general philosophical approach, like Fuller would have hitters learn to take pitches they cannot hit well, with less than 2 strikes.. He wanted them to swing only at pitches they can do damage with. They do not dramatically change. For the Orioles to become much more free swinging, that must have driven Fuller to leave. So be it. Going forward, they probably need to be somewhere in between the previous two years. In the playoffs, they get pitched to differently. It’s higher intensity. You have to be proficient in putting the ball in play. You have to be able to take what the game gives you, and execute. There is no excuse for repeatedly having runners in scoring position with less than two outs and repeatedly not being able to get them home. Bases loaded, no outs, hitters 2,3 and 4 coming up…we have to score there. The approach was to hit a grand slam. Awful baseball. A ton of talent on this roster, and something has to change. 
    • I have been pretty happy with Kjerstad's defense in the outfield corners.   Not that I want him in left at home.     I agree with what Elias said about Mayo's body type being more suited for 1B.
  • Popular Contributors