Reminder - Elias Presser Today at 11 am

TonySoprano

2 hours ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

Anybody concerned with Houston's pitching development? I'll totally sign up for their level of success but it seems their best pitchers recently have come from the outside. Their best home grown starters would be McCullers, McHugh and Kuechel? Not a hugely impressive list.

What's nice is obviously they've been successful without a stable of home grown pitchers. I've just been a tad bit concerned that their resume developing starters is marginal. 

On Reddit, he gave a hint as to where he leans on positional talent, when asked about former Oriole HOF'ers Cal, Eddie and JP:

As a scouting director, I'd happily put my name on any of those picks! But I have to say, I am always biased towards infielders!

https://www.reddit.com/user/orioles-official

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching the press conference replay....one word was repeated at least 100 times....”process”...”The process will be this” or “the processes will be that”...go back and watch and listen just for that word...it is so repetitive as to almost be comical.    Enjoyed the information and the “process” of hearing from the new GM and ownership. 

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

Watching the press conference replay....one word was repeated at least 100 times....”process”...”The process will be this” or “the processes will be that”...go back and watch and listen just for that word...it is so repetitive as to almost be comical.    Enjoyed the information and the “process” of hearing from the new GM and ownership. 

You can interchange "process" with "system" if you like but that's how it works.  Successful people don't have goals, they follow constructive patterns, which produce generally positive results over time.  They simply modify, adapt, and proceed from there.  Work hard, be smart, act appropriately, get involved... and opportunities for success will present themselves.  Smart is as smart does.

7 hours ago, Nite said:

Going be directly involved with working on Chris Davis.... OOOOH please tell me his people know the freaking answer!!!

He knows the answer...

7 hours ago, weams said:

Jim Hunter is still with the club. Asking all these questions. Making Statements. 

Assuming?

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Or maybe scouting the pitchers.   She can definitely handle a JUGS gun.    (My apologies, I couldn’t help myself.)

Frobby!!! Oh no you dint.

1 hour ago, Ripken said:

You can interchange "process" with "system" if you like but that's how it works.  Successful people don't have goals, they follow constructive patterns, which produce generally positive results over time.  They simply modify, adapt, and proceed from there.  Work hard, be smart, act appropriately, get involved... and opportunities for success will present themselves.  Smart is as smart does.

I agree with you completely about the content of what was being said, it was only the repetition of the word itself that I was noting.  Believe me...I have taught courses on system theory and organizational dynamics.  I am all for it.  However, even my wife commented on the number of times the word was used today in just this one brief public speaking session by all three individuals, and then, was even being repeated back by interviewers in multiple questions....likely a bit of nervousness all around the room at the unfamiliarity and newness of the whole “process”  lol.  Understandable, completely.   Sort of like “you know”  or “at the end of the day” ...”process” can sometimes be used excessively by professional people particularly if they are a bit nervous. My wife notices it with me when I am speaking publically, which I do frequently, if I use it too often.   Probably not even worth commenting on this very minor, superficial detail of today’s  positive press conference and introductory session, but it did stand out to me.    That and John’s use of the word “effectuate”...lol. 

Or maybe it was an explicit and deliberate choice in repeating the word...to emphasize  the fluid nature of the rebuild itself to his audience of fans.   No biggie, not a criticism, just interesting.   

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I agree with you completely about the content of what was being said, it was only the repetition of the word itself that I was noting.  Believe me...I have taught courses on system theory and organizational dynamics.  I am all for it.  However, even my wife commented on the number of times the word was used today in just this one brief public speaking session by all three individuals, and then, was even being repeated back by interviewers in multiple questions....likely a bit of nervousness all around the room at the unfamiliarity and newness of the whole “process”  lol.  Understandable, completely.   Sort of like “you know”  or “at the end of the day” ...”process” can sometimes be used excessively by professional people particularly if they are a bit nervous. My wife notices it with me when I am speaking publically, which I do frequently, if I use it too often.   Probably not even worth commenting on this very minor, superficial detail of today’s  positive press conference and introductory session, but it did stand out to me.    That and John’s use of the word “effectuate”...lol. 

Or maybe it was an explicit and deliberate choice in repeating the word...to emphasize  the fluid nature of the rebuild itself to his audience of fans.   No biggie, not a criticism, just interesting.   

I found it to be refreshingly odd. As I said before, I like the set. Everyone in the room appeared to be on their absolute best behaviour. All eyes were on them. 

7 minutes ago, weams said:

I found it to be refreshingly odd. As I said before, I like the set. Everyone in the room appeared to be on their absolute best behaviour. All eyes were on them. 

Yes, I agree.  I wonder if John and Lou used a consultant  about the “process” and the stagecraft.  It would make sense and be refreshing if they did.  

12 hours ago, bobmc said:

On Reddit, he gave a hint as to where he leans on positional talent, when asked about former Oriole HOF'ers Cal, Eddie and JP:

As a scouting director, I'd happily put my name on any of those picks! But I have to say, I am always biased towards infielders!

https://www.reddit.com/user/orioles-official

This makes sense because those guys tend to be athletic enough to fall back to the outfield. 

So for anyone that has been naysaying the news conference with John and Lou has to be a real sign that things have changed.

I think that they gave a real good overview through Duquette this summer and now again with Elias

I really like how they pointed to Elias on Davis. 

Im sold that we are entering a new era and excited to see if Elias can get it done!

obviously it’s fair to be cautiously optimistic..... but if Elias is given a budget and free reign over the club I think we couldn’t have asked for a better situation 

28 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So for anyone that has been naysaying the news conference with John and Lou has to be a real sign that things have changed.

I think that they gave a real good overview through Duquette this summer and now again with Elias

Im sold that we are entering a new era and excited to see if Elias can get it done!

obviously it’s fair to be cautiously optimistic..... but if Elias is given a budget and free reign over the club I think we couldn’t have asked for a better situation 

Have we heard from @webbrick2010?  that is the barometer, amirite?  Just saying and just kidding Rick!  ?

25 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

That's one way of putting it.  In fairness, it's not like the Orioles were going to announce that they were dropping Davis like a bag of wet cement.  That deal was all on Peter, and they are adamant they aren't going to write it off.  So Elias is being paid to take responsibility for it.  He's left trying to put a good face on it saying, "He had a frustrating campaign this year. I think the chances are good of him bouncing back and improving upon that and I’m going to get involved in the work going into his offseason work, his preparation and any new ideas or information that we can provide to him to help him out, we will do our best to do that. So that’s my hope.”

11 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I can't imagine these words ever coming out of Duquette's mouth.  I love that he's hitting the ground running.  No spending a month getting his bearings, no percolating.

I think folks forget how quickly Duquette actually did attack the international market. He brought over a lot of his contacts right away, including Fred, and dipped right into the Asian market. 

Archived