Reminder - Elias Presser Today at 11 am

TonySoprano

17 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I guess another question is, did anyone ever discuss what his lanes would be? I've never met anyone who didn't like Anderson, just that his ability to basically do what he wanted ran counter-intuitive to everyone being on the same page. If his role is defined, who's to say that he can't still be an asset? 

Saying that, Mike Elias should ultimately have the final say on Brady's role and Brady should report directly to him. Those are really the most important things. If Elias is fine with Brady and Brady works directly for him, then no one else should have an issue.

What can't happen is another situation where Brady reports straight to ownership. From the sounds of yesterdays briefing, that doesn't sound like it will happen, but as with all things, time will tell.

Right on the money with this post.  A lot of people want to make Brady out to be this devil incarnate character for reasons, but even if he has had his own agenda or opinions on things, most of the negative views come from the system more than the man himself.  If Mike Elias feels there's a place for Brady in the organization and Brady wants to be a part of it, I don't see why we should automatically look down on it.  If he wants him around as an assistant, or strength coordinator, or paper pusher, that's his decision.  If the next manager wanted Brady on their staff, I'd be all for it even though I doubt that's what Brady wants.  I think he'd have the potential to be a respectable coach whether it was on the bases, defense, or even a hitting coach.  The guy has value, it's just a question of if Elias wants him around, and if Brady wants it too.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Fan4Life said:

How do their attempts compare?

No idea. Today's baseball teams play an on base and power game to get to the playoffs though. They even strike out a lot. and they certainly don't get thrown out taking chances on the bases. the excitement is just for the masses. Not the wins. 

Now speed influences defense greatly and that equates to wins. Power is an integral part of the modern game, for a modern front office. 

41 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I guess another question is, did anyone ever discuss what his lanes would be? I've never met anyone who didn't like Anderson, just that his ability to basically do what he wanted ran counter-intuitive to everyone being on the same page. If his role is defined, who's to say that he can't still be an asset? 

Saying that, Mike Elias should ultimately have the final say on Brady's role and Brady should report directly to him. Those are really the most important things. If Elias is fine with Brady and Brady works directly for him, then no one else should have an issue.

What can't happen is another situation where Brady reports straight to ownership. From the sounds of yesterday's press conference, that doesn't sound like it will happen, but as with all things, time will tell.

My take was more ambiguous than that.  Mike's new to the organization, so he's going to need to lean on senior people like Brady to get up to speed.   Beyond that, I missed the part where Brady no longer has a direct line to ownership.

2 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

My take was more ambiguous than that.  Mike's new to the organization, so he's going to need to lean on senior people like Brady to get up to speed.   Beyond that, I missed the part where Brady no longer has a direct line to ownership.

He is close to Lou from what I've heard. I suspect if Brady chooses to stay, he will work with in the newly defined parameters. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

What can't happen is another situation where Brady reports straight to ownership. From the sounds of yesterday's press conference, that doesn't sound like it will happen, but as with all things, time will tell.

Completely agree. If his relationship was strictly with Peter (and he steps down) then I think it's fixable. If he has the same type of relationship with the sons then I don't think it is. Regardless of who they tell him to report to I think he'll eventually go straight to ownership again and circumvent the chain of command. It's just a matter of time. Again, does Brady really bring that much to the table that it's worth the risk? If I was in Elias position I certainly wouldn't think so, but maybe he just wants to give it a little time and see how it plays out. As long as the decision is his to make I'm fine with it. 

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Completely agree. If his relationship was strictly with Peter (and he steps down) then I think it's fixable. If he has the same type of relationship with the sons then I don't think it is. Regardless of who they tell him to report to I think he'll eventually go straight to ownership again and circumvent the chain of command. It's just a matter of time. Again, does Brady really bring that much to the table that it's worth the risk? If I was in Elias position I certainly wouldn't think so, but maybe he just wants to give it a little time and see how it plays out. As long as the decision is his to make I'm fine with it. 

If I was Elias, I would talk to people like Graham and then Brady and not base my decision on internet discussion board thoughts, and give him some time to view the situation first hand, too. As long as the decision remains with Elias, and I believe it does.

1 hour ago, weams said:

The Orioles stole 10 more bases in 2018 than the Houston Astros. 

I guess it's not all about team speed. Huh. 

I think you’re inferring too much from 2018.    This happened to be a low year for the Astros in stolen bases (71).    The previous 3 years they stole 121, 102 and 98.     I doubt they suddenly decided stolen bases were no good.    Probably personnel changes and/or injuries led to lower totals.   And, Altuve stopped running as often.  The Astros have a well-rounded offense that is not overly reliant on any one thing.   

i get the feeling Brady is restless and likes to flit around from task to task. One week he’s interested in helping with pitching, one week he’s giving advice on someone’s swing. Then the next week, getting someone on a training regimen. Those are his passions. Then when the ownership wants him to really do something useful, he’s needed to follow up with agents for potential contract negotiations. He’s a jack of all trades, master of none. Kind of like this sideburned guy. I think he was also a Double Naught Spy at one point. And part time King of Rock and Roll. Here he is getting a US Marshals / DEA badge from the Chief. Note. This guy was a master of one trade. He was a lousy drug marshall. 

68MRzpa.jpg

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think you’re inferring too much from 2018.    This happened to be a low year for the Astros in stolen bases (71).    The previous 3 years they stole 121, 102 and 98.     I doubt they suddenly decided stolen bases were no good.    Probably personnel changes and/or injuries led to lower totals.   And, Altuve stopped running as often.  The Astros have a well-rounded offense that is not overly reliant on any one thing.   

Of course I did. The Orioles were dead last almost always up until the great 2018 speedtest. 

25 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

If I was Elias, I would talk to people like Graham and then Brady and not base my decision on internet discussion board thoughts, and give him some time to view the situation first hand, too. As long as the decision remains with Elias, and I believe it does.

I certainly hope that he is not basing his decision on a internet discussion board.I am sure he is not. I am sure he has spoken to people who worked for and still do for the Orioles. Probably had a nice chat with Buck and Duquette. 

29 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I know you like to defend Brady, but there have been plenty of reports about his meddling and undefined role over the years. So while I do agree that Elias needs to make his own informed opinion I also think that where there's smoke there's usually fire. 

3 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I know you like to defend Brady, but there have been plenty of reports about his meddling and undefined role over the years. So while I do agree that Elias needs to make his own informed opinion I also think that where there's smoke there's usually fire. 

We should also keep in mind, though, that Dan and Buck were not on the same page, so you had a 3-headed monster with Brady. That (hopefully) won't be the case between Elias and whatever manager he chooses, so if Brady can fall in line, great. 

Each one of us was excited about Brady's work early on when he first joined the front office. I don't mind seeing if ME can define his role in a new setup where everyone isn't working against each other.

10 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I will tell you, having watched Brady with the child fans at spring training, you would be hard pressed to find a better role model for athletic interaction. 

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

We should also keep in mind, though, that Dan and Buck were not on the same page, so you had a 3-headed monster with Brady. That (hopefully) won't be the case between Elias and whatever manager he chooses, so if Brady can fall in line, great. 

Each one of us was excited about Brady's work early on when he first joined the front office. I don't mind seeing if ME can define his role in a new setup where everyone isn't working against each other.

People laugh at me for alluding to Buck hiring Dan (which he definitely did not) but he INTERVIEWED him for goodness sake.  You can't do that. Nor can you do the Flanabeatty Or Duquettagan. It just does not work. In business or in baseball. It only works for an ownership that is interested in securing information and decision making pathways for control.  I've seen it. I've worked it. It's wrong. 

22 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Just like you dump on Brady for signing Cashner and Cobb, any just about anything else that happens.

There truly hasnt been that many people complaining about Brady.

I suspect that Bradys is probably MEH for the Orioles and their problems.

He isn't the root of the problem, nor the person that can help them get to the WS.

Archived