Josh Donaldson or Mike Moustakas?

Dark Helmet

2 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

I'd like to see them sign Inglesias, and a innings eater SP.

You're talking about Jose Iglesias right? I'd be fine with that move as long as he's willing to take a one year deal. In terms of cheap innings eating SPs, maybe sign someone like Holland, Ross, or Cahill, but again I'm not giving any of them more than a one year deal. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The idea of signing players to a one-year deal and then flipping them at the deadline is as old as time for a rebuilding club. The Cubs did just that with Feldman to us midseason. It happens all the time, but not usually for players the caliber of Donaldson or even Moustakas. If you can get either to fall to a relatively affordable one-year deal, you can certainly do it, but I don't see that happening. Donaldson will get money. He probably won't get length save for options, but he'll get more than will be worth it. Moustakas fell last year, but I doubt he takes that same deal this year. He'll do better this time around and even if he doesn't, I'm sure some other team will give him the same one year deal we would and he'd get to play for a better team.

I think the guys you go after for filling space and then flipping are the fringe starters like Marco Estrada, Jaime Garcia, Derek Holland or someone else that you sign to eat some innings and pray they have a good first half.

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

You're talking about Jose Iglesias right? I'd be fine with that move as long as he's willing to take a one year deal. In terms of cheap innings eating SPs, maybe sign someone like Holland, Ross, or Cahill, but again I'm not giving any of them more than a one year deal. 

A good defensive SS will help with the development of our young SP. I'd go 3 years if need be. We wont be getting anyone better for a while.

3 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

A Nelson Cruz type guy on a 1-year/$8M type contract is an organizational asset whether your expected wins are 55 or 95, and then it's just for the front office to arbitrage it.  There will be some union vet who loses musical chairs among all the decent teams for whom hitting in the heart of Baltimore's order becomes of potential "betting on himself" value.

I have no idea who it will be, but I am guessing the Orioles will end up with some random established big leaguer of this ilk.

3 hours ago, weams said:

Nelson Cruz will get a two year with player option/games played.

1 hour ago, Dark Helmet said:

Nelson Cruz is predicted to get 2/30.

I think OrioleDog was simply suggesting that we might look for an opportunity similar  to the one with Cruz back in 2014, not suggesting that we go after Cruz now.   

But honestly, I don’t think we’re paying any free agent $8 mm this year, nor will we be giving up draft picks to sign players who received QO’s, as Cruz did.    

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think OrioleDog was simply suggesting that we might look for an opportunity similar  to the one with Cruz back in 2014, not suggesting that we go after Cruz now.   

But honestly, I don’t think we’re paying any free agent $8 mm this year, nor will we be giving up draft picks to sign players who received QO’s, as Cruz did.    

Ah. Good catch. 

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Right on, and today in this vein, there's this Morosi tweet about us monitoring Kinsler.

Honestly, I think this is perhaps also a bit of a signal to the other clubs that both our middle infielders are borderline tender cases, so any reasonable offers considered if you like Villar or Beckham.

4 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Right on, and today in this vein, there's this Morosi tweet about us monitoring Kinsler.

Honestly, I think this is perhaps also a bit of a signal to the other clubs that both our middle infielders are borderline tender cases, so any reasonable offers considered if you like Villar or Beckham.

Trying to trade Villar to whoever doesn't land LeMahieu or Murphy isn't a terrible idea. I'm not even sure most teams would even consider Murphy a legitimate option at 2B at this point in his career. 

4 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Trying to trade Villar to whoever doesn't land LeMahieu or Murphy isn't a terrible idea. I'm not even sure most teams would even consider Murphy a legitimate option at 2B at this point in his career. 

True that. Murphy is the Mountcastle of older second basemen.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The idea is to trade them and get young players back.

I don't think it is a feasible strategy but it isn't nonsensical.

Maybe the two guys I named isn't feasable.  But yeah, that's the idea. I concede that Donaldson and Moustakas aren't the best examples.

On 11/25/2018 at 2:00 PM, Frobby said:

Well, both were traded midseason last year, Moustakas (traded 7/31) netting two young major leaguers who had both been top 100 prospects as of 2016 or later, and Donaldson (traded 8/31) netting a 25-year old pitcher in AA.   Donaldson had been on the DL for a considerable period prior to the trade and did not play until Sept. 11.    

I think Donaldson is higher risk, potentially higher reward if he’s healthy.    I’m guessing that despite his health risks, he’ll cost more.   MLBTR says 1/$20 mm for Donaldson, 2/$16 mm for Moustakas.

If we were inclined to play this game (which I very much doubt), Donaldson would be too expensive and risky for my taste.   Moustakas would be a more modest risk with less potential upside.  I’d go with him, if forced to choose.    

So the question is, do we feel spending that kind of money on one or two POTENTIAL prospects added to the system is worth that kind of money? Id' say no.

Archived