Give Sisco another Chance

Legend_Of_Joey

36 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right he doesn't throw well.  To be honest to hear people here talk it is amazing he's ahead of five guys.  I thought he was the worst thrower in the history of the game.

He also doesn't frame balls well. At the end of the day he's a well below average catcher that you would not want behind the plate on a competitive team. I'd like to see them try him at 3B next spring.

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Looks up at title of thread.... Oh yeah, this is a Sisco thread. Decides not to ask the point of bringing up Severino in a Sisco thread that is discussing Sisco.

Yes, comparing our two catchers defensively in a discussion about one of the catcher's defensive shortcoming is a wildly inappropriate breach of protocol.

My mistake, I shall return to the scintillating on topic posts rehashing the Gerardo Parra trade in the thread about Givens' trade value.

• Upvote 3

On 7/3/2019 at 11:22 AM, Tony-OH said:

I realize that anything that doesn't agree with your narrow views makes "zero sense" but those of us that live in a world of shades of gray realize there is much more to this story.

Severino is still a young catcher as well and is superior defensively in many, many aspects behind the plate. You don't just bury Severino which is why Sisco should get PAs at DH and perhaps some at 1B though doesn't make a lot of sense unless you plan to put Mancini back in RF. 

I have zero problems with Sisco catching as well and although he's a well below average defender, this team is going nowhere so why not let him gain experience.

The most important thing right now is to get him every day PAs against right-handed pitching. That should include a healthy share of DHing when not catching.

Stay on topic Tony!

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Maybe not a great game with the throws, but glad to see the two base hits, which were pretty key.  

I was at the game so I'm not sure about the pop times or anything, but it looked to me as if the bases were stolen almost entirely off of Brooks and that it didn't matter who was back there at catcher.

• Upvote 3

There’s certainly not much harm in Sisco playing catcher with what remains of this disastrous season... and they need to let him get as many at bats as possible. So they can find out if he’s got enough stick to warrant trying him at another position. It’s clear he has no value to the Orioles - be it as a player or as a trade chip - at catcher.

34 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

There’s certainly not much harm in Sisco playing catcher with what remains of this disastrous season... and they need to let him get as many at bats as possible. So they can find out if he’s got enough stick to warrant trying him at another position. It’s clear he has no value to the Orioles - be it as a player or as a trade chip - at catcher.

Yeah we already know Severino's trade valuue.  He was DFA'd.  If he any trade value the Nationals would have traded him. If Sisco plays all season and he has shown he isn't a major league catcher than move on.

We have given Mancini 3 years to show he is a major league outfielder and he still hasn't shown it.  Shoot we gave Reimold like 10 years to show it. 

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

He also doesn't frame balls well. At the end of the day he's a well below average catcher that you would not want behind the plate on a competitive team. I'd like to see them try him at 3B next spring.

As always, depends on how he hits.  He hits enough the other stuff is forgiven.  Now will be hit enough to be a starter on a contender?  Probably not.

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Trying him at 3rd makes a lot of sense. It probably did before, but after drafting AR, why not?  He played SS in HS. He would have at least an average arm at 3rd. It’s not like he’s been C in pro ball for years, and he’s worn down. He’s been strictly C for like 4 years. 

My only hesitation right now is that he’s raking playing C. Plus, we can keep him at C to make him as valuable as an asset as possible then adjust once AR is here. I’m thinking AR is here the 2nd half of 2021. Not going to need much development. 

8 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

As always, depends on how he hits.  He hits enough the other stuff is forgiven.  Now will be hit enough to be a starter on a contender?  Probably not.

You obviously devalue the defensive worth of a catcher. I'm a big proponent of good defensive catching and unfortunately, I don't see enough things from Sisco that would make me want him behind the plate in big games against a good team. Also, with Rutchsman coming, I'd like to see him tried at other positions, particularly 3B since there is a need in the system there.

I do feel better about his bat after this season, but I'm still perplexed by how bad he was in just about every aspect last year with regard to stats and analytics. He definitely is a lot stronger so there's that. 

12 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Stay on topic Tony!

The post above that you quoted was responding to a post that was talking about the comparison. You went off subject by quoting my evaluation of Sisco and bringing up Severino which is not what I was discussing. Had I mentioned Severino or made any mention of Sisco being the worse defensive catcher than that comment would have been appropriate.

I realize that nuance is not easy for everyone.

12 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I was at the game so I'm not sure about the pop times or anything, but it looked to me as if the bases were stolen almost entirely off of Brooks and that it didn't matter who was back there at catcher.

By the way, on the first stolen base Brooks was 1.28 to home plate (1.3 is considered average) and Sisco's pop time was actually right on his average 2.10 which is amongst the lowest in baseball. That one is more on Sisco.

The second steal was definitely on Brooks. He was slow to the plate 1.5 and both runners never stopped moving. He clearly did not think they would try a double steal. Sisco actually had a 2.0 pop time on the second throw but it wasn't close because of bad a job Brooks did. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I have a question about that. I’ve heard that suggestion before, and if he can’t throw accurately to second, how can he be expected to throw accurately from 3rd to 1st? The only difference i can think of is that third base has a little bit more time to prepare, and you’re not throwing from a squat position.