Give Sisco another Chance

Legend_Of_Joey

Now now, before @Can_of_corn hands me my PhD in “Austin Wynns Promoting,” read me out…

Sisco’s struggles at the beginning of the season are well documented and touched upon by @Tony-OH during various threads, mainly calling out Sisco’s “slow bat” and high strike out rate as he closed in on a record. Then there is the EXTREMELY bizarre Sunday where Sisco was in the line up, all the way up to first pitch. Then suddenly it is Wynns and Sisco isn’t even seen anywhere (Chris Davis would come out and warm up the pitcher between innings when Wynns was getting his gear on.) After the game, Buck made comments about Sisco not feeling well and needing to get his head right. Sisco also took up the entire allotted time to report to Norfolk.

He did come back up around the 10 day mark later, but once he got sent down again, it was for good.

When in Norfolk during his recent stint, Sisco went 27 for 116 for a .232 average. He hit 1 home run and had 11 walks and 31 strike outs. On defense, he threw out 5 of 27 would be base stealers for a 19% caught stealing rate (rounded up). Sisco needed to work on his hitting and his defense in Norfolk per Buck.

Shortly after the September 1st roster expansion, Keith Law had a chat where he mentioned Sisco either needed a change of scenery (if Buck stays) or a new manager.

Since coming up from Norfolk after September 1st, Sisco has appeared in 4 games, out of 13.

1 game as a DH when he replaced an ill Chris Davis (0-3 with a k)

1 game as a late inning replacement (0-1 with a k)

1 game starting (0-4 with a k) and 1-3 on base stealers

1 game as a late inning pinch hitter for the DH (0-1 with a k)

In comparison, Caleb Joseph has appeared in 6 games (5 starting, 1 late inning replacement) and Austin Wynns has appeared in 5 games (4 starting, 1 late inning replacement). Corban Joseph also has gotten more time, pinch hitting 3 times against right handers.

The whole “maybe giving him a rest” part goes out the window after 13 games. With the strong AA season of Martin Cervenka and the many reports that the Orioles will be adding him to the 40 man roster, will they want to keep Sisco on the MLB roster, or even want to keep him around if Buck is here? 3 “rookie” catchers might not be in their list of plans. Could they get rid of Wynns? There is always that possibility. They have used him in promotions and videos a lot lately in their social media though, so they really want fans to see who he is.

Clearly Buck doesn’t want to use him, even having Jace Peterson pinch hit for Caleb the other night, instead of Sisco. If the Orioles non-tender Caleb, they could (and probably should) be looking for a veteran catcher to continue to guide a young staff and mentor any of the young catchers (Wynns, Sisco, Cervenka.) However, if the team leans towards Wynns as the backup, would they let Sisco and Cervenka time share in Norfolk? Do they change Sisco to another position?

• Upvote 3

He is only 23 and he is in the Orioles player development system.  With the right kind of coaching and PD changes around him, I could see a quick bounce back for him.  It would be foolish of the O's to put him behind Wynns and Cervenka in the pecking order this quickly.

So.. what has happened since this evaluation in March 2017?    How often does a system"s "top prospect" organizationally at Double AA and Triple AA  not even sniff the big leagues the very next season?

"Ranked as the Orioles' top prospect, Sisco has had no problem handling himself at the plate over four seasons in the Minor Leagues. The 22-year-old stayed true to form last year with a .317/.403/.430 slash line between Double-A Bowie and a brief stint with Triple-A Norfolk. His .406 on-base percentage in 112 Eastern League games led all of Double-A.

Sisco also made strides behind the plate in 2016, rounding out his game and helping him earn a spot as MLB.com's No. 99 overall prospect. The loss of Matt Wieters to the Nationals via free agency seems to indicate that Baltimore views the 2013 second-round pick as its catcher of the future.

"We anticipate that he'll get a chance to catch every day in Triple-A," Orioles director of player development Brian Graham said. "He was the youngest catcher in Double-A baseball last year, and being a left-handed hitting catcher is a commodity. His receiving is getting better, his throwing is getting better. His overall catching performance has improved dramatically over the last 18 months."

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/baltimore-orioles-prospect-primer-catcher-chance-sisco-on-the-rise/c-219661108

• Upvote 1

He had a bad year, but let's be patient. Catcher is hard and takes longer to adjust. Over the last 15 years, there have only been 25  rookie catchers (also 25 & younger) to have more than 1 war and about 10 over 1.5 war. And those were the mauers and poseys who were much more highly rated. 

Sisco has a 0.1 war for the year and something weird definitely happened mid season. After being bad to start his demotion, his last 50 AAA at bats got better with a wrc+ of 135. So hopefully he can continue to figure it out and have a fresh start next year. 

8 hours ago, oceanicvoyage said:

He had a bad year, but let's be patient. Catcher is hard and takes longer to adjust. Over the last 15 years, there have only been 25  rookie catchers (also 25 & younger) to have more than 1 war and about 10 over 1.5 war. And those were the mauers and poseys who were much more highly rated. 

Sisco has a 0.1 war for the year and something weird definitely happened mid season. After being bad to start his demotion, his last 50 AAA at bats got better with a wrc+ of 135. So hopefully he can continue to figure it out and have a fresh start next year. 

That bit of WAR comes from his completely unsustainable stretch of throwing out runners early in the season.