Hazards of Following Your Team on the Road

Migrant Redbird

It happened a week ago yesterday.

Visiting Cardinals fan hit by teen driver dies

One of two devoted St. Louis Cardinals fans hit by a car Thursday after the Cardinals-Phillies game died yesterday of head trauma at the University of Pennsylvania Hospital. The other remained hospitalized in critical condition.

The women from St. Louis, best friends who taught school together, came to Philadelphia Tuesday to watch the Cardinals play the Phillies on Wednesday and Thursday.

Not long after Thursday afternoon's 4-1 Phillies win, tragedy struck: An 18-year-old driver, allegedly impaired, ran a red light and plowed into both women in a cross walk at Broad and Curtin Streets, not far from Citizens Bank Park, police said.

Driver Denies Being Drunk In Crash That Injured 2 Tourists

Genovese is out of jail after posting 10 percent of a $5,000 bail.

"I was going through a yellow light and I didn't see them. It was an accident I feel bad," Genovese said.

.... "I was not drunk. I don't even drink. The cops didn't take a breathalyzer," Genovese said.

But police said they did better than that they took samples of his blood.

Even though I live just across the Mason-Dixon Line in Pennsylvania, I'm ignorant on that aspect of the law. When I was stationed in Germany in the late seventies, we were warned that the Polizei were authorized to take blood samples of suspected drunk drivers, by force if necessary, and advised to request politely that we be transported to an American military hospital for the blood to be drawn if we found ourselves in a situation like that. I would think that PA law probably requires consent to take blood samples and, even if the driver said it was OK, his lawyers would probably have a strong argument that the consent wasn't "informed" and get the evidence thrown out.

And a none too classy reaction on the Philaphans forum. 2 Cards Fans hit by drunk driver

Did LaRussa miss her first?

In fairness to respectable Phillies fans, a note of sanity finally showed up on page 4, after the news that one of the victims had died.

this story is too sad to dismiss with sarcasm, or rationalize with ghetto garbage.

those two women were guests in phillytown. they came here to enjoy a few days vacation, following their team.

this is a terribly sad and tragic story. my heart and prayers go out to the survivor, and to both of their families.

as for the alleged perp... perhaps we need to seriously reflect upon our culture, and this urbanized, ghetto-ized generation that we're raising.

His Myspace webpage and a Philadelphia newspaper article discussing it.

Alleged DUI killer's MySpace profile depicts youth consumed with money, drugs and graffiti

Pictures on Genovese's MySpace page could work against him in light of the incident.

One photo, which appears to be taken from the driver's seat of his vehicle, shows the speedometer clocking in at 105 mph.

The caption under the photo reads: aLiL UnDer 120 OnPAcKeR aVE!!..yea digg????"

In other photos, he admits to "BObBiN ND WeEzzZiN" in and out of traffic and having a "NEeD 4 SPeEd????"

He writes that his car, which he identifies as a Lexus GS 300, is equipped with an alarm system, auto-start technology and a TV screen placed in the dashboard.

Genovese lists his occupation as "JuSt B DAt Boii!!!..." but goes on to list his income as $250,000 or more. In a separate section in which people typically write the companies they work for or are associated with, Genovese writes: "Chronic Dealer, Philadelphia, Pa US, HusLa, weed, dope, crack, heroin, meth., and wAT EVa U FIEn for!"

Genovese brags about how sexy he looks when he's high, and has posted pictures of himself smoking out of a bong.

"LOok AT ALL DATT WEeD!!!!" he wrote under one photo. "ahaha brought a POUNd just 2go 2pROM!!!!!!"

18 years old, driving a red Lexus purchased -- one assumes -- with the profits from dealing drugs. One wonders what his parents could have been thinking.

Just sad. Incredibly sad! That's a teenage culture into which I have zero insight. I only wonder how many other kids there are like that out there.

18 years old, driving a red Lexus purchased -- one assumes -- with the profits from dealing drugs. One wonders what his parents could have been thinking.

Just sad. Incredibly sad! That's a teenage culture into which I have zero insight. I only wonder how many other kids there are like that out there.[/QUOTE]

Probably a lot more than what you'd expect. What's even more sad is this is the type of kid that's usually portrayed as "cool" on tv (see any MTV or VH1 reality show or music videos).

Well, the Genovese lad will likely have no issues with constipation in the near future. I wonder if he'll learn to spell while in prison?

He should be made to dig his victim's grave...by hand...and that's just for starters.

Archived