Harold Baines.....Lee Smith in Hall of Fame

HOF19

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The competition wasn't tough. They only had to beat out George Steinbrenner and Lou Pinella. Never heard of this Today's Game Committee until now. Happy for Baines, though.

I'm curious as to who is on the Today's Game Committee.  Ironic that they named it as such yet won't vote for the PED guys (I'm assuming).

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

I mean what does this mean long term?  I mean you could make a case for probably 100-200 more players if Smith and Baines are good enough. 

More I think about it the more it bothers me.  

To name 3 easy guys with better numbers:

Dave Parker

Luis Gonzalez

Torii Hunter 

I remember playing Major League Baseball Featuring Ken Griffey Jr. for the N64.  Obviously I'd play the Orioles mostly.  I remember hitting a 604 Foot HR (this was a rare anomaly of the game)with Baines, and thus referred to him as the Bainbino.  

Anyway, I'm really glad Baines got in, he was one of my favorites growing up!

39 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm curious as to who is on the Today's Game Committee.  Ironic that they named it as such yet won't vote for the PED guys (I'm assuming).

Mrs. Smith, Mrs. Baines....      :)

Anyway, not sure I'd vote for either if I had a vote, but I'm happy for both of them.  Congrats.

47 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Mrs. Smith, Mrs. Baines....      :)

Anyway, not sure I'd vote for either if I had a vote, but I'm happy for both of them.  Congrats.

Well espn.com actually had it.  http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25495724/chicago-legends-harold-baines-lee-smith-make-hall-fame

Results of the 16-member Today's Game Era Committee were announced at the winter meetings. It took 12 votes for election -- Smith was unanimous; Baines got 12 and Piniella had 11.

The Hall board-appointed panel included longtime White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf, and Baines said he was grateful for his support. Hall members Greg Maddux, Roberto Alomar, Joe Morgan, Bert Blyleven, Pat Gillick, Tony La Russa, John Schuerholz, Ozzie Smith and Joe Torre also were on the panel.

I count 10 names there.  Interesting group of players and front office/manager types.  

And Wikipedia has more:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_Hall_of_Fame_balloting,_2019

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_Hall_of_Fame_balloting,_2019

Sweater Vest!  

I'll also say...Belle deserves it, IMO.  One of the most dominant hitters of the 90s.  He was a complete jerk but there's no way at all he should fall off the ballot.  3.5% of a vote last year is a joke, down from 7.7%.  It's like the writers got pissed that he got 7.7% out of the gate.  

2 hours ago, O's84 said:

I remember playing Major League Baseball Featuring Ken Griffey Jr. for the N64.  Obviously I'd play the Orioles mostly.  I remember hitting a 604 Foot HR (this was a rare anomaly of the game)with Baines, and thus referred to him as the Bainbino.  

Anyway, I'm really glad Baines got in, he was one of my favorites growing up!

Whoops! Thought we were talking about the Orioles HOF.  Then no, he shouldn't have gotten in to Cooperstown.

28 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Harold Baines was a fine player, an outstanding hitter and a great Oriole...but he's not a HOF.

Yeah, he was good player, and I enjoyed watching him play.  But a 38.7 WAR shouldn't have made the cut to Cooperstown.

Now that I have had a chance.to sleep on it I would like to apologize to Smith, my natural animus toward relief pitchers got the best of me.

While I still don't think he belongs in the Hall his election isn't as bad as Baines.  I think a lot of us think fondly of Baines but he's a terrible selection, he belongs on a list with little poison and high pockets.

At least Smith was dominant in his role.

Archived