O’s claim 3B Rio Ruiz

Frobby

I’m okay with creating some cheap competition at 3B. I like Nunez but he certainly can’t just be handed a job at this point. Ruiz doesn’t look particularly promising but he’s young and hits left handed so I’m not upset by any means. 

• Upvote 1

Ruiz has spent a lot of time at AAA over the last three seasons. Ages 22-24.

At AAA he hit  righties much better than lefties

2016 OPS: right: .833;  left .522

2017 OPS: right .837; left  .580

2018 OPS; right .759;  left  .607

In 2018  at AAA he seemed to have a knack for scoring runs, driving in run and hitting with runners in scoring position where his stat were .294/340/449/789 at AAA.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Meisinger coming off the 40 instead of several others is surprising.

Meisinger’s profile as a low 90s RH reliever without a plus out pitch is an extremely common profile. There is some deception there, but it makes sense, I bet he gets put on waivers again before the offseason is over.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

DFAing Meisinger seems significant to me. They were at 38 before the move. They could have easily claimed Ruiz and not cut anyone to go to 39. Could mean 2 picks are the plan on Thursday.

Surprised Meisinger was the cut, too. 

My only surprise is that Hart wasn't cut before him. Saying that, Mesinger is a dime a dozen right handed middle reliever. I'm more surprised the Cardinals claimed him more than the orioles's DFAing him. Shake a minor league tree and ten Meinsinger's fall out.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps also a trickle down of the Braves landing Donaldson, as he was kind of their Renato Nunez.

As someone who plays NL only fantasy with minors, Rio Ruiz was kind of a hot property four years ago when he went to ATL from HOU.  He co-headlined with Foltynewicz (who has developed much more successfully) to land the Astros Gattis.

After 2014, he was a high school bat who had completed two full-season leagues - his eye as a 20-year old in High-A (albeit the California League) was excellent, almost a 1:1 BB/K ratio.

2015-2018 however mostly makes it look like the Astros did a good job selling high.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

My only surprise is that Hart wasn't cut before him. Saying that, Mesinger is a dime a dozen right handed middle reliever. I'm more surprised the Cardinals claimed him more than the orioles's DFAing him. Shake a minor league tree and ten Meinsinger's fall out.

I still think Hart can become a poor man's Jesse Orosco one day.  Analytics baby!

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

I still think Hart can become a poor man's Jesse Orosco one day.  Analytics baby!

Actually, looking at his analytics numbers, he actually grades out pretty well with quality of pitches. His biggest issue was his well below average ability to pitch around the edge of the zone and the fact he only threw his slider for a strike 42% of the time.

Basically the analytics confirmed my scouting of him that his stuff din't drop off, but rather his command was his issue last year.

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Actually, looking at his analytics numbers, he actually grades out pretty well with quality of pitches. His biggest issue was his well below average ability to pitch around the edge of the zone and the fact he only threw his slider for a strike 42% of the time.

Basically the analytics confirmed my scouting of him that his stuff din't drop off, but rather his command was his issue last year.

We better not be staking out Hart as a founding rebuild father.

• Haha 2