Tulo?

interloper

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Aglets said:

On a more serious note this type of signing does actually make sense for us if:

-he can be signed for super cheap (probably ML minimum right since TOR is still paying I think? )

-he's not blocking anyone

You're gambling that he has a great rebound year and then you can flip him for more parts.   As long as these two conditions are met I'm in favor.

...but it doesn't make sense for Tulo. And the Orioles aren't even in a position where they can offer him more incentive/money. The only thing they can offer is to play him at SS full-time, but I'm sure several better teams are willing to do the same. 

4 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

...but it doesn't make sense for Tulo. And the Orioles aren't even in a position where they can offer him more incentive/money. The only thing they can offer is to play him at SS full-time, but I'm sure several better teams are willing to do the same. 

If he's not interested then he's not interested and we just say "alright, catch you on the flip side brah."

No harm in making a phone call.

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

This statement seems a bit misleading. Can't teams load up the contract with easily achievable incentives to sweeten the pot? It's really a moot point though because he doesn't make sense for this team and it's been reported his preference is to play for a West Coast team. Much ado about nothing. 

The total he can make is the amount owed by Toronto, unless a team goes crazy and offers him more than that, which is obviously not going to happen.  There is absolutely no advantage or reason to offer more than the minimum, unless you want to do Toronto a favor and reduce the amount they have to pay, which, again, is never going to happen.

On 12/11/2018 at 3:52 PM, Can_of_corn said:

The money is GONE either way.

Red Sox ate big money on Panda and HamRam.  Angels ate big money with Hamilton.

The difference between those situations is those teams were built to win we’re not! Their are lots of issues with team not just Davis. For the money that’s invested into him instead of just eating what’s left we need to take the time to work with and hopefully get him back to being respectable and hopefully we can then trade him and instead of eating all is salary just a part of. Now if he continues to suck when this team feels like they are ready to make a run they can’t afford to have patience with Davis you cut and eat whatever the salary amount is.

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

On a more serious note this type of signing does actually make sense for us if:

-he can be signed for super cheap (probably ML minimum right since TOR is still paying I think? )

-he's not blocking anyone

You're gambling that he has a great rebound year and then you can flip him for more parts.   As long as these two conditions are met I'm in favor.

I'd be ok with these parameters, too.  I'm not sure what his defense looks like these days but if he's at SS and Villar is at 2B, that's not bad.  

1 minute ago, jrobb21613 said:

The difference between those situations is those teams were built to win we’re not! Their are lots of issues with team not just Davis. For the money that’s invested into him instead of just eating what’s left we need to take the time to work with and hopefully get him back to being respectable and hopefully we can then trade him and instead of eating all is salary just a part of. Now if he continues to suck when this team feels like they are ready to make a run they can’t afford to have patience with Davis you cut and eat whatever the salary amount is.

The other difference is those players didn't have 5 YEARS left on their deal. It's just not as simple as saying the money is gone either way. There's 5 more years, he's healthy, he's in shape, he still plays decent defense, he's not blocking anyone, you have a chance to confirm whether or not any "fixing" techniques work with him. These are all reasons why any GM in the game would give him one more year at the minimum. Your priority in this situation is obviously to move as much OTHER dead weight as possible FIRST: Trumbo, Cobb, Cashner, etc. Those moves are a priority because they clear roster space, they clear money, and - crucially - they bring back some kind of talent in return. Elias' priority is the farm system, not creating headlines by dumping the largest contract in Orioles history with the benefit of... freeing up 1 single roster spot? What? He's got more important things to focus on right now. Give it a year at least. 

You can't just throw $90 million in the trash because you want a roster spot for a AAAA player on a 100-loss team. That's not a thing that is done, regardless of whether or not one thinks there's a good/smart reason to (there's not, at this point, for the 2019 season). It's a bizarre line of thinking that doesn't hold up. I haven't heard a good reason to dump Davis in 2019 and that's because there is none. Talk to me in 2020, though.

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

"the Giants — who were said to have a “heavy presence,” including team president Farhan Zaidi and manager Bruce Bochy — the Angels, Red Sox, Cubs, Padres, White Sox, Orioles, Yankees, Phillies, Tigers and Pirates."     

12 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

"the Giants — who were said to have a “heavy presence,” including team president Farhan Zaidi and manager Bruce Bochy — the Angels, Red Sox, Cubs, Padres, White Sox, Orioles, Yankees, Phillies, Tigers and Pirates."     

I read this yesterday. You have to admit the Orioles and Tigers stand out like sore thumbs on that list. 

If Tulo receives offers from multiple teams, it will be factors other than salary that he will be considering to make his decision.  All offers are sure to be for exactly the same amount of money - the league minimum.  The total amount he will make is the amount of his Toronto contract regardless of where he signs.  Factors such as chances of winning and where his family will be happy living will most likely win the day for him.  The factor that could possibly favor the Orioles if they decide to make a run at him, IMO, is the likelihood that he might stand to see more playing time for the Orioles than he might with other teams.

6 minutes ago, Number5 said:

If Tulo receives offers from multiple teams, it will be factors other than salary that he will be considering to make his decision.  All offers are sure to be for exactly the same amount of money - the league minimum.  Factors such as chances of winning and where his family will be happy living will most likely win the day for him.  The factor that could possibly favor the Orioles if they decide to make a run at him, IMO, is the likelihood that he might stand to see more playing time for the Orioles than he might with other teams.

The Orioles more important goal, IMO, would be somebody that can grow and learn the job, and in 3 years, be part of a solid core to complete.

I do not see Tulo in that role.

13 minutes ago, Number5 said:

If Tulo receives offers from multiple teams, it will be factors other than salary that he will be considering to make his decision.  All offers are sure to be for exactly the same amount of money - the league minimum.  The total amount he will make is the amount of his Toronto contract regardless of where he signs.  Factors such as chances of winning and where his family will be happy living will most likely win the day for him.  The factor that could possibly favor the Orioles if they decide to make a run at him, IMO, is the likelihood that he might stand to see more playing time for the Orioles than he might with other teams.

I agree with this to an extent. Of the teams that attended his workout  the Orioles, Padres, Pirates, and Tigers are the only ones with an immediate need for a full time SS. If Tulo considers shifting to 3B then you can add the White Sox and Agels to that list. And of course, the other teams could trade players to make room for Tulo. For example, I imagine the Cubs are at their wits end with Russell. I wouldn't be surprised if they kicked around the idea of trading Russell and signing Tulo. It's also been reported that Tulo prefers to play on the West Coast so location doesn't work in the Orioles favor. If he insists on playing SS then the Padres seem the most likely landing spot to me. And that's only if they think Tatis needs another year of seasoning. 

9 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

The Orioles more important goal, IMO, would be somebody that can grow and learn the job, and in 3 years, be part of a solid core to complete.

I do not see Tulo in that role.

Yeah, I'm not pushing for Tulo.  I'm just saying that if Eias decides to offer him a contract, money won't be the deciding factor for Tulo and it would seem that the only selling point if the Orioles do make an offer would appear to be the possibility that he could see more playing time in Baltimore than elsewhere.  I don't however, see Tulo at the minimum as being a poor risk, and he really wouldn't be blocking anyone in 2019, so I'd have no problem if Elias does make him an offer.  

Archived