Hyde: New O’s Manager

Rene88

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching a guy moved, nearly to tears, as he spoke about being Our manager, is something nearly unquantifiable for this...old bird. For many, these are jobs, just the next step, there isn’t any emotion involved, emotion is for the fans - emotion is for those who are chatting with one another on the OH, in December, after a historically atrocious season, with no hope to compete on the horizon. Most of the fan base has detached itself emotionally from the team, Frobby battles to keep a safe distance from the O’s, many here do, it’s an unhealthy relationship we’re all in, the O’s don’t treat us like they once did - but seeing a manager, moved to the extent that our new leader was, should be of great comfort to the most ardent Baltimore supporters. We appear to have a man in the clubhouse who isn’t there to collect a check, who doesn’t think we are lucky to have him, but rather one who loves us goofy bastards for who we are - he’s so excited - and he just can’t hide it. 

Hyde is one of us. . . . . . . . and proud to be. You can see he wants to make Earl Weaver and Cal sr proud, he is a guy who has always fought to prove himself, in the presser he revealed himself to be a guy who is humbled by the opportunity to make kids of the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s proud, he profiles as a guy who won’t take a day lightly, a guy who cares about the OHers pride in the team, a guy who has reverence, even nostalgia, for the great O’s teams he respected as a kid. It’s typically not what is said that is revealing, it’s how something is expressed, and I trust that this guy will invest his hours as we all wish a manager would. 

I just watched the presser 5 minutes ago, I couldn’t be happier with the hire.

4 hours ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

I can't believe that so many MLB teams interviewed this guy for there manager position and did not hire him. I feel like we are very fortunate to have him. I am definitely glad he was passed over by other teams.

As someone who's been a recruiter for a number of years, I've got a term for this and it's "the town bike."  Everyone's had a ride.  You've got a candidate you really like, think he's great, he interviews at a lot of different clients and...he constantly gets passed on.  Always a bridesmaid, never a bride.

I'm assuming it's different for ML managers, maybe he just fits this position for where this franchise is.  I trust Elias, so far.  But my gut reaction to seeing someone interview a bunch of different places and not picking him isn't a good one.  

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Let's check on these responses and praises in about three years and see what we think of Hyde then.  I'm pretty sure we all liked Dave Trembley at the start, too.

I liked Trembley pretty well from 2007-09, though his teams had a nasty habit of folding down the stretch.   The final year he looked like a man on the gallows.    

You are right that everyone tends to look good when they’re hired.    I still liked the way Hyde presented himself.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I liked Trembley pretty well from 2007-09, though his teams had a nasty habit of folding down the stretch.   The final year he looked like a man on the gallows.    

You are right that everyone tends to look good when they’re hired.    I still liked the way Hyde presented himself.   

I thought he presented himself pretty well, certainly not spectacular.   Then again, I'm no CoC, but I'm hard to impress ?

Hyde comes across as professional, understands the game, the history, and pretty sharp.  He's going to have to deal with a lot of losing and that's not his fault.  What he should be judged on is the development of young players, first and foremost.  

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

As someone who's been a recruiter for a number of years, I've got a term for this and it's "the town bike."  Everyone's had a ride.  

I believe Austin Powers used that line to describe a woman he shagged.   

17 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Let's check on these responses and praises in about three years and see what we think of Hyde then.  I'm pretty sure we all liked Dave Trembley at the start, too.

Big DT fan here. He couldn't handle the losing at the end, or a bullpen. Helluva guy tho!

Archived