Orioles select SS Richie Martin with 1st pick of Rule 5 Draft

weams

1 hour ago, atomic said:

His OPS is .550 and Beckham's is .770.  Beckham has a 0.4 WAR so I don't think Martin has much hope as a Major League player.  No range and can't hit.  

Well he has his free healthcare for life, and he’s earned his pension, at least if he lives to be 62. And if he sticks it out for all of this season and 3/4 of next, he will have $1 million in the bank,  and that’s not bad. 

I doubt he’s going to be getting any playoff bonuses, however.

• Thanks 1

I wish we would've given Drew Jackson a look.  He was a lot more toolsy.  Especially with the lack of CF options.  Is Martin even going to be worthy of a 40 man roster spot through this offseason?  What's he going to do?  Put up a .700 OPS in AAA in 2020, and then be 26 in 2021 for us.  I don't think he survives the impending 40 man crunch this November.  

28 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

Martin is key to locking up the top spot in the 2020 draft, Elias is play connect 4 while the rest of the league is playing Yahtzee.

41 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I wish we would've given Drew Jackson a look.  He was a lot more toolsy.  Especially with the lack of CF options.  Is Martin even going to be worthy of a 40 man roster spot through this offseason?  What's he going to do?  Put up a .700 OPS in AAA in 2020, and then be 26 in 2021 for us.  I don't think he survives the impending 40 man crunch this November.  

Or perhaps stop drafting people in the Rule 5 draft.  Drew Jackson is almost 26 and not hitting all that great in the PCL.  There is a reason people are available for rule 5 draft. If the player was decent another team would just trade for them and put them on their 40 man roster. 

3 hours ago, Philip said:

Well he has his free healthcare for life, and he’s earned his pension, at least if he lives to be 62. And if he sticks it out for all of this season and 3/4 of next, he will have $1 million in the bank,  and that’s not bad. 

I doubt he’s going to be getting any playoff bonuses, however.

He got a $1.95 mm signing bonus when he was drafted, so he’s in pretty good shape.   

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Jackson is about 26 and has a 87 wRC+ in AAA. 

Keon Broxton at 26 three years ago had a wRC+ of 142 in AAA and 111 in the majors. 

There’s no reason to think Jackson would make anybody’s 40 man this winter. 

45 minutes ago, makoman said:

Jackson is about 26 and has a 87 wRC+ in AAA. 

Keon Broxton at 26 three years ago had a wRC+ of 142 in AAA and 111 in the majors. 

There’s no reason to think Jackson would make anybody’s 40 man this winter. 

Don’t think Broxton is going to be around for very long either. As soon as Hays comes up he goes away, I bet. Unless someone really thinks they can fix his hitting problem.

16 hours ago, atomic said:

Or perhaps stop drafting people in the Rule 5 draft.  Drew Jackson is almost 26 and not hitting all that great in the PCL.  There is a reason people are available for rule 5 draft. If the player was decent another team would just trade for them and put them on their 40 man roster. 

I agree with this if you are trying to compete.  If you arent, you are trying to acquire talent and the rule 5 draft is a way to do that.  98% of rule 5 draft picks dont make meaningful contributions, bu that other 2% is Johan Santana, or hell, even Jay Gibbons who provided some value.

3 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I agree with this if you are trying to compete.  If you arent, you are trying to acquire talent and the rule 5 draft is a way to do that.  98% of rule 5 draft picks dont make meaningful contributions, bu that other 2% is Johan Santana, or hell, even Jay Gibbons who provided some value.

I wish folks would stop using Santana as an example of rule V success.  The rules were different when he was selected.