Reminder: Official Press Conference Monday Noon

Going Underground

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, weams said:

Assume we learn from these last few reveals that any news we get will always be coming from the other side on a transaction and that the Orioles will not confirm, will even deny, until they are prepared to announce. 

Hasn't it been that way since the Hernandez fiasco? I don't expect that to change.

• weams changed the title to Official Press Conference Monday
1 hour ago, weams said:

Assume we learn from these last few reveals that any news we get will always be coming from the other side on a transaction and that the Orioles will not confirm, will even deny, until they are prepared to announce. 

Supposedly this one came from Maddon announcing he needed a new bench coach.

9 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Lying about it is. He could be lying about international market, Brady, etc. Integrity and honesty are good traits. 

I'm all for openness and honesty, trust me, I'm an open book, my boss wishes I'd be a little more close to the vest at times.  But in this situation, the choices were to break the news to the people who didn't get the job in an impromptu interview or say that nothing was final (which technically was probably true because I doubt the contract had been signed yet). He got put in a bad spot, he could have handled it better, but I think he was surprised that it got out. 

Edit: I don't mean Tony as my boss, I'm talking about my day job. 

7 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I'm all for openness and honesty, trust me, I'm an open book, my boss wishes I'd be a little more close to the vest at times.  But in this situation, the choices were to break the news to the people who didn't get the job in an impromptu interview or say that nothing was final (which technically was probably true because I doubt the contract had been signed yet). He got put in a bad spot, he could have handled it better, but I think he was surprised that it got out. 

Edit: I don't mean Tony as my boss, I'm talking about my day job. 

He could have just said no comment. 

But he's new at the job so on something like this I'm inclined to cut him some slack.

49 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Is not confirming leaks a bad thing?

It may even be a stretch calling it a "leak," per se.  If it was Maddon who happened to drop a comment then that is hardly on the FO.  Perhaps it was merely that it hadn't been inked... who knows.  Yet, history makes me as skeptical as the next guy as to why they'd delay an announcement like this if it was, indeed, a done deal. 

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He could have just said no comment. 

But he's new at the job so on something like this I'm inclined to cut him some slack.

I’d rather see deflection than lying, but I don’t think this is the biggest transgression in the world.    I just don’t want it to be a habit.   

Archived