Teams are asking about Bundy

byrdz

1 minute ago, terphoopsfan said:

No one disputes the defense is bad. If you look at his stats since 2016, other than K rate, he's regressed as a SP. That's not all on the defense and they're not responsible for giving up 41 HR last year. His FB velocity has dropped from 94.6mph in '16  to 91.6mph last year. I'm not sure what the answer is to fixing his issues but he certainly doesn't feel or look like anything more than a back of the rotation SP right now.

I agree defense does not fix everything, but it helps.   I'll be interested to see what a different pitching coach can do to help him.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I agree defense does not fix everything, but it helps.   I'll be interested to see what a different pitching coach can do to help him.

First and foremost, no defense is responsible for Bundy allowing 41 homers.  Of the 116 runs he allowed, 68 came on homers.   Fix that problem and you’ve fixed 75% of what’s wrong with Bundy.    

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

First and foremost, no defense is responsible for Bundy allowing 41 homers.  Of the 116 runs he allowed, 68 came on homers.   Fix that problem and you’ve fixed 75% of what’s wrong with Bundy.    

As far as I can tell nothing major happened physically to Bundy from 2017 to 2018.   Yes, he hurt in ankle in late June 2018 but his May was poor long before that.

However in 2017  Bundy went 13-9 with a 4.24 ERA.  He pitched about the same number of innings in the two years but in 2018 he gave up 36 more hits and 16 more homers.

The 2017 O's were a better team than the 2018 team.  Better offense and better defense.  I think Bundy can regain some of his effectiveness if he has a better defense behind  him and a better offense supporting him.   At least until August.  It will not be as good as the 2017 team but it could be better than the 2018 team until the July trades are made.

38 minutes ago, wildcard said:

As far as I can tell nothing major happened physically to Bundy from 2017 to 2018.   Yes, he hurt in ankle in late June 2018 but his May was poor long before that.

However in 2017  Bundy went 13-9 with a 4.24 ERA.  He pitched about the same number of innings in the two years but in 2018 he gave up 36 more hits and 16 more homers.

The 2017 O's were a better team than the 2018 team.  Better offense and better defense.  I think Bundy can regain some of his effectiveness if he has a better defense behind  him and a better offense supporting him.   At least until August.  It will not be as good as the 2017 team but it could be better than the 2018 team until the July trades are made.

It's like you quoted Frobby but barely addressed the issue of the homers that he gave up.  As Frobby said, defense doesn't have anything to do with the amount of homers allowed.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's like you quoted Frobby but barely addressed the issue of the homers that he gave up.  As Frobby said, defense doesn't have anything to do with the amount of homers allowed.

Plus he gave up all those invisible homers to Boston. It's like he became Brian Matusz. 

19 hours ago, atomic said:

I like how everytime Bundys value us down people on here want him traded. When his value has been up he is untradeable from the same people.

I don't think people are really raising the concern of wanting him moved for the reason you are getting at.  Bundy will not be here when the Orioles win.  Therefore, his maximum value to the rebuild is likely pitching for someone else.  Yes, the Orioles have to pitch someone, but keeping Bundy...whether he be stellar, mediocre or terrible, the Orioles are not going to win with him here.  Now it is certainly true if he is stellar his trade value would go up.  But the converse is also true.  If he gets hurt, he neither pitches nor has value.  I wouldn't give him away, but if I could get pieces that might help when the Orioles expect to compete, moving him becomes a no brainer.

4 hours ago, atomic said:

The ridiculousness of the posts in this thread is beyond amazing. To put forth that a pitcher has no more value after a good season than a bad one makes me think people have no clue about anything. The Astros tried to trade Dallas Keuchel after 2012 and 2013 season and no one wanted him no matter how little the price.  He now has many suitors at huge contract offerings.  

All you guys when Bundy was first a prospect were saying dont trade Bundy no matter what the offer.  Then he got injured and you were ready to off load him for a bag of balls. Then He had success in majors and you guys were back to never trading him. He has a bad season and he isnt worth a minimal contract.

If the team can turn Bundy around and he can pitch well his value will be much greater than it is now.  

The converse is also true, and that risk is important.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

While I agree with this completely, it is an oversimplified true statement.  I am not looking at any data, but if a pitcher has to get 4 or more outs per inning, the chances of mistakes certainly go up.  You cannot defend the home run. But better defense can shorten innings and reduce baserunners.  That doesn't excuse Bundy leading the ML in long balls, but poor defense certainly exacerbated his issues.

18 minutes ago, wildcard said:

OK, you are on record as saying the good defense does not help teams win.  Got it.

I will also tell you that I believe that teams control the pace of a game with strong defense, but that it is only of value with good offense and adequate pitching. You can't win a game 0 to 0 or 0 to 3. 

1 minute ago, foxfield said:

I don't think people are really raising the concern of wanting him moved for the reason you are getting at.  Bundy will not be here when the Orioles win.  Therefore, his maximum value to the rebuild is likely pitching for someone else.  Yes, the Orioles have to pitch someone, but keeping Bundy...whether he be stellar, mediocre or terrible, the Orioles are not going to win with him here.  Now it is certainly true if he is stellar his trade value would go up.  But the converse is also true.  If he gets hurt, he neither pitches nor has value.  I wouldn't give him away, but if I could get pieces that might help when the Orioles expect to compete, moving him becomes a no brainer.

The converse is also true, and that risk is important.

While I agree with this completely, it is an oversimplified true statement.  I am not looking at any data, but if a pitcher has to get 4 or more outs per inning, the chances of mistakes certainly go up.  You cannot defend the home run. But better defense can shorten innings and reduce baserunners.  That doesn't excuse Bundy leading the ML in long balls, but poor defense certainly exacerbated his issues.

There was a time that Matusz could have been moved for a good return. 

Archived