Teams are asking about Bundy

byrdz

19 minutes ago, murph said:

But as you have said once or twice, they all break.   I agree we should listen to offers and take it if it makes sense, but it better be good if they are going to give away my favorite pitcher to watch.................

............once every 4 or 5 starts.   

Unless you want to save the money and are concerned that if he is still like this next offseason, that you will be like the Brewers and Schoop on him. 

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

They used him back to back days once, he pitched 1 inning with 0 BB, 0 H, 1 K in the second outing and his velocity was up.

They used him with 1 day off once, he faced 4 batters and got 0 outs, allowed 2 hits and intentionally walked 2 batters.

They used him with 2 days off 3 times, twice he allowed 0 earned runs, once he got touched up for 4. 

Extremely small sample, and that was early in the middle of getting rushed into major league action. You are right, it's possible that he won't take well to converting to relief, but I don't think anything that happened in 2016 is legitimate evidence of that. 

Agreed, very small sample sizes, but they are the only data we have. I certainly would not say he wouldn't be able to be a reliever, but just a word of caution that not all starters suddenly become a great relievers. There is a skill set to recovery and not all pitchers have it. I would agree that we don't know for sure whether Bundy could or couldn't do it, but some pitchers can't pitch without rest while others have those "rubber" arms.

I hope we at least think about using him like the Angels did Ohtani starting out last year - as a Sunday starter.  Teams are exploring the middle ground between the 32 GS guy and 1-inning RP guy, and while for relievers that's longer outings, for starters it could be moderated workloads by design.

Along with perhaps bumping effectiveness, it would also keep innings in the tank because I don't think anyone in their wildest dreams imagines in 2019 he'll start effectively from April through October, assuming his buyer gets there.

I'd also advocate just the reverse for Cashner - his value if any will be as an innings hoss.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I would trade Bundy before he breaks. The shoulder is a huge problem. I respect Bundy a lot just from what he’s had to overcome in his career. If some team is willing to view him as a #4SP with TOR potential and ignore the shoulder, well then trade him for the best deal. 

If we traded Bundy now, it's very doubtful we'd get a difference-maker in return.  He needs to build up his value next year before that can happen.  If he breaks and/or stinks, so be it and we can always non-tender him.  I'd rather him stink here when we are going to be bad anyway than trade him for nothing now and watch him light it up somewhere else.  

21 hours ago, byrdz said:

Boston Globe is reporting teams are calling about Bundy. I'm personally against trading him since his peripherals are still solid. Would hate to see another Arrieta situation! But wondering what everyone else thinks. Do you trade him? 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/12/al-east-notes-bundy-cobb-soria-rays-morton.html

Carfardo was on MLB recently and said the Orioles were open to trading Bundy and Cobb.

8 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The problem with refusing to sell low is that you might actually be selling high.

Well now, I get low and I get high
And if I can't get either, I really try

I love Bundy but I do not trust his health at all, to say nothing of his loss of velocity after TJ surgery.  If the return is respectable I'd definitely let him go.

Cobb, on the other hand, would be my ace the next three years unless there was a big offer for him.

3 minutes ago, Ripken said:

I love Bundy but I do not trust his health at all, to say nothing of his loss of velocity after TJ surgery.  If the return is respectable I'd definitely let him go.

Cobb, on the other hand, would be my ace the next three years unless there was a big offer for him.

Why would you need an Ace?

If you are playing poker and your hand is A, 6, 4, 3, 2 you are not taking many pots.

10 minutes ago, El_Duderino said:

Hold Bundy for now. He has shown dominate stretches in the past. If you are dead set on dealing him just hope one such stretch lines up with a trade deadline. 

I think in general people overrate how much teams are swayed by a hot or cold stretch before a trade. Maybe in the past, but most decisions now have a process behind them, they aren't emotional in the way that a GM sees a couple great starts and says "I need to get that guy for my team!".

In the same way, I don't think Bundy's trade value is as low as some may think it is. 

Bundy’s slider/cutter  is the most unhittable slider/cutter in baseball in 2018...BA against this pitch:

Bundy  .158

Sale .160

Paxton, Mariners  .172

Bauer, Indians  .175

Rodon, White Sox .186

Corbin,  Dbacks, Nats  .190

So...I would make sure that Dylan gets back market value before I just sell him in a fire sale. 

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Agreed, very small sample sizes, but they are the only data we have. I certainly would not say he wouldn't be able to be a reliever, but just a word of caution that not all starters suddenly become a great relievers. There is a skill set to recovery and not all pitchers have it. I would agree that we don't know for sure whether Bundy could or couldn't do it, but some pitchers can't pitch without rest while others have those "rubber" arms.

Bundy may not have one of those so called "rubber" arms, but we know for sure that he has a calcified shoulder!

4 hours ago, weams said:

Unless you want to save the money and you are concerned about the shoulder. 

I thought I’ve heard it thrown around that The calcification in his shoulder is the worst some doctors have seen?  

So it’s a matter of when not if. Look at the division. The Rays are loaded as well. Maybe we have some small glimmer of hope in competing in 2021, his last season. I wouldn’t give him away but he’s not going to be a part of our next winning team. That and the injury ticking time bomb, make him an easy trade. 

Just because it’s the offseason ...The Brewers love ex orioles. I’d be down if Milwaukee gave us,

#3 Brice Turang SS - 50 overall

#8 Zach Brown SP - 45 overall

#29 Eduardo Garcia SS - 45 overall

Archived