What should the Orioles do at catcher?

Diehard_O's_Fan

What should the Orioles do at catcher? Should they sign a veteran catcher? Should they go with Sisco or Wynns? I can't help but wonder if Austin Wynns is the Orioles best catcher at the moment. He looked pretty good whenever I saw him play. I hope he wins a spot on the 25 man roster. If the Orioles wanted a veteran catcher, you would have thought they would have kept Caleb Joseph. I think Caleb's salary would still be cheaper than any other veteran catcher they could bring in. Thoughts?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I imagine Wynns and Sisco break camp as our catchers and will both  probably see equal playing time throughout the year. 

I have thought that signing a veteran catcher would be a good idea  but there isn’t anyone out there affordable who I think is good enough that they’re worth taking playing time away from our young guys. I think it would be a good idea to find out this year what we really got in Chance Sisco if his bat can play in the show.

I think they will give Sisco every opportunity they can in the Spring and probably start out with Sisco and Wynns, unless one of them shows a reason they shouldn't get on the 25. 

A veteran on a minor league deal should come in and work with them in the Spring, then mentor Cervenka in Norfolk and provide insurance if Sisco or Wynns gets hurt/flat out falls into Chris Davis 2018 mode.

I would have them split, but try and give Sisco a few more starts with Cashner and Cobb (the "veterans") and Wynns with a few "rookies" as Wynns is the better defender and might help them develop a little extra confidence on breaking balls in the dirt and runners on base.

The O's will wait for the off season catching moves to stop spinning.   Who signs for Grandal and who trades for Realmuto  could change the landscape.  The O's aren't in the running for either but who ever signs them might have surplus catching to trade.

Wieters is positioned to go to the team that loses out on Realmuto and Grandal.

The O's do need to add a catcher that can catch 80 games and knows the hitters in the AL.  Wynns and Sisco both have options and will probably compete for the other 82 games.  One of them probably begins the year at AAA.

My guess on who the O's are likely to add is:

1) Martin Maldonado - He is familiar with AL hitters from spending time with the Angels and Astros.  Elias knows him because he played for the Astro last season.  He made 3.9m last year.

2) Someone acquired in trade.

3) Caleb Joseph is the O's fall back option.

4) They go with Wynns, Sisco and Susac

5) Matt Wieters  -  He would be an upgrade for the O's.  His salary probably falls from the 10m he made last year but I don't think he falls enough that the O's would get him.   He looks like the 3rd best catcher on the market and will get better offers than what the O's will pay.   He probably wants  to play for a winner and that is not the O's.

JMO

15 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

If they don't pick up an out-of-work veteran just before or during spring training, Sisco and Susac should be fine. Sisco for his bat, Susac for his glove. Bonus - both have five letters with the same consonants in the same order. 

I was wondering why you went with Susac over Wynns.  Now I know.

19 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

Nick Hundley

Hundley is an experienced MLB catcher but other than 50 games in 2014 with the O's he has spent his entire 11 year career in the NL.    He does not know the AL hitters.    He probably ranks below Joseph for that reason.

1 minute ago, El_Duderino said:

Caleb Jospeh has no place on this or any other ML roster. Just play Sisco and Wynns until they prove the same. 

Joseph is already gone. If they wanted a veteran they could have simply paid him a minimal arb salary. I agree, Sisco, Wynn's, and Susac should be fine for a rebuilding team. If we are going to sign a veteran, a SS would make more sense, but I think we took care of that with the Rule 5 guys.

Just now, wildcard said:

Hundley is an experienced MLB catcher but other than 50 games in 2014 with the O's he has spent his entire 11 year career in the NL.    He does not know the AL hitters.    He probably ranks below Joseph for that reason.

Between players regularly changing leagues and the amount of film available I don't think league familiarity should be a huge concern.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Between players regularly changing leagues and the amount of film available I don't think league familiarity should be a huge concern.

Bundy would disagree with you.  He said in a recent interview  on Hot Stove that Caleb knowing the AL hitters is very valuable.  If its valuable to Bundy its probably valuable to any young pitcher that the O's have.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Bundy would disagree with you.  He said in a recent interview  on Hot Stove that Caleb knowing the AL hitters is very valuable.  If its valuable to Bundy its probably valuable to any young pitcher that the O's have.

I'll be glad to look at any evidence you care to provide.  Bundy saying nice things about Caleb doesn't count.

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Joseph is already gone. If they wanted a veteran they could have simply paid him a minimal arb salary. I agree, Sisco, Wynn's, and Susac should be fine for a rebuilding team. If we are going to sign a veteran, a SS would make more sense, but I think we took care of that with the Rule 5 guys.

The O's just didn't agree on a salary with Caleb.   Depending on how the market plays out Caleb is still an option of the O's.  

Elias has to evaluate  whether Sisco is better off in the majors or the minors.   And whether Sisco is up to calling a good game for the pitchers.    Developing the O's pitchers is as important if not more important than developing Sisco.  If he is not ready for the majors he belongs in the minors.   Its Elias call.

Archived