What should the Orioles do at catcher?

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I would expect Bundy to say that, since (1) it’s obvious that having experience with the hitters has some value, and (2) it’s the rote answer to give when the question is framed that way.    I still think it’s a bit overrated, especially in today’s game where the front office can provide information that is often as good or better than what the veteran catcher has learned through experience.

Beef came over from the National league and missed a lot of spring training and no one acted like it would hamper his ability to call a game.

31 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's nice.

But I don't consider Bundy's opinion to be the be all end all.

I'd like some numerical evidence.

I think Bundy's opinion is more important than anyone that disagrees with him on the OH.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Teddy Roosevelt.

I think Bundy knows more what he and other young pitchers need to succeed than any of us know.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think Bundy's opinion is more important than anyone that disagrees with him on the OH.

Teddy Roosevelt.

I think Bundy knows more what he and other young pitchers need to succeed than any of us know.

I think players think a lot of things that aren't necessarily supported by facts.  I also think players will say things to support their teammates.

All I'm asking for is some numerical evidence.

Since you aren't going to supply what I want and I won't change my mind no matter how many times you tell me what Bundy thinks I will bow out of this conversation.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Teddy Roosevelt.

The funny thing is that the stats suggest otherwise. Last year, Bundy was terrible with both the veteran Caleb catching him (6.09 ERA in 20 starts) and the rookie Wynns (7.48 in five starts)...but he did great with rookie Chance Sisco (2.36 ERA in six starts).

Small sample size, yes, but there's not much evidence there that having a veteran catcher really helped Bundy succeed in 2018.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's nice.

But I don't consider Bundy's opinion to be the be all end all.

I'd like some numerical evidence.

Following up on the stats Paul just posted, hitters hit .302/.359/.573 off Bundy when Caleb Joseph was catching.  They hit .192/.252/.344 off Bundy when Chance Sisco was catching.   .283/.339/.611 when Austin Wynns was catching.   Not a lot of evidence that Caleb was a big help to Bundy.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think it has some value, if the guy is actually good at his job.    But the O’s did pretty well with Caleb at catcher in 2014 when he had zero major league experience.   The 2010 Giants won the World Series when Buster Posey was a rookie.   So, I think it’s a bit overrated.    

I think you are addressing a point that Bundy did not talk about.   Would he trust (value) a veteran catcher from the NL?     Different subject that he did not address.

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think you are addressing a point that Bundy did not talk about.   Would he trust (value) a veteran catcher from the NL?     Different subject that he did not address.

Bundy sucked last year regardless of the catcher. I could care less what he thinks and even less what he says in an interview. Bundy followed his own advice with his workout program and that didn’t work out well. There’s no evidence that he’s a rocket scientist in a pitcher’s body. 

11 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Bundy sucked last year regardless of the catcher. I could care less what he thinks and even less what he says in an interview. Bundy followed his own advice with his workout program and that didn’t work out well. There’s no evidence that he’s a rocket scientist in a pitcher’s body. 

He calcified his shoulder worse than anyone Dr. James Andrews had ever seen. 

14 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

He didn’t suck when Sisco was the catcher — not that I’m necessarily attributing a cause and effect there.   Just a fact.   Agree that Bundy doesn’t strike me as a rocket scientist.    

To be noted: the coach we just hired, Tim Cossins, is reputed to be a “wizard at teaching proper fundamentals and game-calling.”   He may the the substitute for a “veteran presence” at catcher.   

Archived