What should the Orioles do at catcher?

Diehard_O's_Fan

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll be glad to look at any evidence you care to provide.  Bundy saying nice things about Caleb doesn't count.

Roch: Caleb was non tendered. How important is it to have a veteran catcher on the staff.

Bundy: Very I think. Caleb knows pretty much every hitter in the league right now.  So having a veteran catcher back there you can have a little more trust into what he is putting down back there.  Rather then having a young guy back there and a young guy on the mound.  Its also good learning to have a veteran back there and work your way through the lineup.

https://content.production.cdn.art19.com/episodes/def555a2-d879-4061-b14b-90271f1b5fca/655e07eeab7ad648a9100c69cefd3591d1587c8ff252f52fcd1887a5c2ee39559c669e8e3ebfc686229c3d36de31d7847ca1e09eec4fec718c22d8bd8c2a3793/120618_bal_hot_stove.mp3

21:48 point in the interview.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Roch: Caleb was non tendered. How important is it to have a veteran catcher on the staff.

Bundy: Very I think. Caleb knows pretty much every hitter in the league right now.  So having a veteran catcher back there you can have a little more trust into what he is putting down back there.  Rather then having a young guy back there and a young guy on the mound.  Its also good learning to have a veteran back there and work your way through the lineup.

https://content.production.cdn.art19.com/episodes/def555a2-d879-4061-b14b-90271f1b5fca/655e07eeab7ad648a9100c69cefd3591d1587c8ff252f52fcd1887a5c2ee39559c669e8e3ebfc686229c3d36de31d7847ca1e09eec4fec718c22d8bd8c2a3793/120618_bal_hot_stove.mp3

21:48 point in the interview.

I am not at all surprised that Bundy would answer that question in that manner.

I don't consider it evidence that having experience with AL hitters should be a concern when looking for catchers.

16 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The O's just didn't agree on a salary with Caleb.   Depending on how the market plays out Caleb is still an option of the O's.  

Elias has to evaluate  whether Sisco is better off in the majors or the minors.   And whether Sisco is up to calling a good game for the pitchers.    Developing the O's pitchers is as important if not more important than developing Sisco.  If he is not ready for the majors he belongs in the minors.   Its Elias call

Sisco may not work out but I don't see how Joseph ends up coming back. I am as big of a fan of Joseph as there is on this board but I just don't see it. I bet their new catcher guru has his guys that he would bring in if they go for a veteran stopgap. I just don't see why we would do that.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I am not at all surprised that Bundy would answer that question in that manner.

I don't consider it evidence that having experience with AL hitters should be a concern when looking for catchers.

Well that  is an opinion.  Ignore what your pitchers say.  Why would they know what they need to be successful.  Especially a guy like Bundy who has been around for three seasons in the majors.  

You can take that position but I can't agree with you .  Bundy laid out his reasoning pretty well.

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Sisco may not work out but I don't see how Joseph ends up coming back. I am as big of a fan of Joseph as there is on this board but I just don't see it. I bet their new catcher guru has his guys that he would bring in if they go for a veteran stopgap. I just don't see why we would do that.

As I said earlier in this thread.  I have Caleb as the O's 3rd option.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Well that  is an opinion.  Ignore what your pitchers say.  Why would they know what they need to be successful.  Especially a guy like Bundy who has been around for three seasons in the majors.  

You can take that position but I can't agree with you .  Bundy laid out his reasoning pretty well.

I have no idea what your first paragraph is supposed to mean.

As for your second paragraph, I'd like evidence not a single player talking up his team mate.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

How else would he answer that question?

Roch: Caleb got released how important is he?

Bundy: Actually not that important Roch. We can shake a tree and find another 10 guys who will hit .200 and give us good veternosity. 

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I have no idea what your first paragraph is supposed to mean.

As for your second paragraph, I'd like evidence not a single player talking up his team mate.

Bundy doesn't only talk about Caleb.  He talks about the value of having a veteran catcher on the staff.

2 minutes ago, El_Duderino said:

How else would he answer that question?

Roch: Caleb got released how important is he?

Bundy: Actually not that important Roch. We can shake a tree and find another 10 guys who will hit .200 and give us good veternosity. 

Well according to Can of Corn's approach what Bundy should have said is:

Well I have been in the league for 3 years.  I know the hitters.  And with all the video we have I don't think a veteran catcher is that important .  Wynns and Sisco would do just fine this year.

But he didn't say that.  Not at all.  He emphasized the importance on a having a veteran catcher.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Well according to Can of Corn's approach what Bundy should have said is:

Well I have been in the league for 3 years.  I know the hitters.  And with all the video we have I don't think a veteran catcher is that important .  Wynns and Sisco would do just fine this year.

But he didn't say that.  Not at all.  He emphasized the importance on a having a veteran catcher.

If you are looking for honesty then interviews with MLB players isn’t the place to start. Bundy obviously wasn’t going to say anything in that situation to disparage Joseph.

1 minute ago, El_Duderino said:

If you are looking for honesty then interviews with MLB players isn’t the place to start. Bundy obviously wasn’t going to say anything in that situation to disparage Joseph.

He actually said things that were not complimentary to Sisco and Wynns who are also his teammates.   I think he expressed an honest opinion and back it up with why he prefers a veteran catcher.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He actually said things that were not complimentary to Sisco and Wynns who are also his teammates.   I think he expressed an honest opinion and back it up with why he prefers a veteran catcher.

OK, you think that.

That doesn't count as evidence.

Anyway wasn't your original point that the young pitchers needed someone with American League experience?  Why the goal post change?

Archived