Maryland vs. Nebraska

Oriole4Life

Terps closed out the half badly, a couple dumb turnovers.  Need to get Wiggins more shots in my opinion.

There was a stretch where Smith and Fernando were both on the bench and Nebraska abused us inside.  Bender and Lindo aren't going to give us the necessary rim protection.  Too many offensive rebounds given up too.

Nebraska up 39-35 at the half. 

Big win! Jalen Smith with the biggest shot of his career. He also grabbed a gigantic offensive rebound and putback the play before.

Bruno Fernando draws so much attention in the post, he needs to play smarter and make accurate passes cuz he had tons of turnovers tonight. Too many lazy passes all around on the team. I'd also like to see Jalen Smith work on his footwork. As good as Fernando is with footwork Smith is the opposite. I've seen him throw up tons of awkward shots near the rim this year. That's the next step.

Also loved Morsell's defense in the second half, forced Nebraska to look away from Palmer.

On 1/2/2019 at 8:54 PM, Finisher said:

Quality win. The freshmen look good. Too bad Turgeon teams can't sustain good play, would be feeling confident otherwise.

It was a nice win and the young men played well, but this is a Turgeon run team, it will fail when the Bog-10 schedule gets tough. In fact, how they celebrated this win tells you everything about how this program is run and how low their bar for success is under him. I can remember when we were supposed to beat the 24th ranked team, not jump around and celebrate like they won a championship. 

1 hour ago, sdmarkakis said:

Yeah, why should a team of mostly 1st and 2nd year players celebrate a good conference win against a ranked opponent? I don't care if you don't like Turge but that's a poor attitude.  

Look, we are not going to agree so you can stop trolling me. I said it was a nice win, but the fact they celebrated that way show you how low their expectations are under Turgeon. 

I like this team actually, but as soon as the Terps start playing the top teams in the Big-10 they will get outcoached and end up like always, looking from the outside in when they should be the team people have to beat in the Big-10!

I don't know how old you are, but I grew up with the Terps being a force, not an afterthought on the major college basketball team. I will continue to root for them even though I know they aren't going anywhere though.

Oh, and you are all excited over the talent right? Just wait until next year, right? You mean after Fernando and Sticks leave? More Turgeon recruits that will win nothing as a Terp but go onto the next level. He can recruit talent, but he doesn't know how to mix in the transfers and those 4-yr players that will actually let you win with the Fernando's of the world.

Turgeon has helped destroy Md basketball as we knew it. We now are an afterthought and a program that jumps around like school girls when we beat an overrated Nebreska team that was long on experience but short on actually talent.

I will root for this young team like I root for all MD teams, but I'm rooting for Evans to make the right move and eat the rest of Turgeon's contract so we can have real hope once again. 

40 minutes ago, sdmarkakis said:

Nobody is trolling you, I'm sorry if you think anyone disagreeing with you means that you're being trolled, but try not to be so sensitive.

Like vatech pointed out in the other thread:

So you have a young as hell team celebrating a win against a ranked team in what was a very exciting and tight game. Yet, you actually try to use that as a negative against the team. It's not a good attitude regardless.

Not going to waste my time responding to all of that other negativity, but Maryland already has a great recruiting class for 2019 so I'm not worried.

Also the last 4 years in the Big Ten, we've been 2nd, 3rd, 3rd and 8th. 3 out of the 4 years we were in the top 3. Those aren't bad results. There are very few schools who can consistently be top 10 every year and we likely aren't going to be one of them. 

You and others that think like you have very low expectations for success. I'm glad you are happy with the mediocre results and a program that is an afterthought on the major college basketball scene. 

I want a program that is a perennial top 25 team, in the tournament every year, with a legitimate run to the final 4 every 4 or 5 years. That's what this program should be. 

I always find it funny that you never see me jump all over one of you guys for being happy about some win over Towson University or something, yet you guys get so upset when someone like myself for pointing out truths. Turgeon has taken his team to just 3 NCAA Tournaments and has only made it to the sweet 16 once. That's embarrassingly bad for a program like Maryland.

From 1992-93 to 2009-2010 the Terps made it to the NCAA tournament 14 of 17 years. Since then, only three appearances with seven of them under Turgeon. You can call this negative all you like. I call it facts. 

The sad thing is I like the talent on this team. If we had a better in game coach I would not be surprised if they could surprise some people. His in game coaching is not good and he's consistently out coached late in games.

Turgeon can identify young talent, but he doesn't know how to mix in transfers and those solid four-year guys to allow his team to take advantage of those talented players and actually beat top teams. He also brings in knucklheads like Stone and Jackson who don't win anything with the Terps but leave for the D-League. I won't blame him for Huerter since no one saw that happening, but again, you need to know about these kids' hearts. Are they using your program, or are they interested in actually accomplishing something for your program? Jake Layman and Dez Wells are probably the last two 4-year guys who actually had pro ability but stuck around to help win games.

Wednesday's win was the first over a top 25 team in three years and I'd argue that Nebreska is not a real top 25 team. They had one good player and bunch of experienced older players. 

But again, if you are happy with NIT bids and coming in 3rd in the league, then I can understand why you love Turgeon so much. We deserve a much better program. Thankfully, I heard that Evans is not a fan of Turgeon. I'm praying that's a good rumor.

Archived